Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Creating arc of bricks for detailing
Read 824 times
* September 06, 2010, 12:19:18 AM
OK so next question! If I draw an arc and convert it to (say) a brick wall 100mm high, I get a nice line of curved bricks on the ground. So far so good.

Can I rotate this around the x or y axis so I can make the arc of bricks parallel to a wall, rather than parallel to the ground? It seems the rotate function only rotates around z but I'm guessing that I'm missing something?

Roger

* September 06, 2010, 12:44:27 AM
Hi Roger,

Sorry, you can rotate some obects in all directions but walls are not one of them - however....

You can draw your curved wall on a new blank project, Turn off the Terrain and do a File/Export as a 3DS file.  This arch can now be imported into your catalogue (Interior Accessories - right Click, Add New Element, Import geometry from file). You now have an arch that can be rotated 90 degrees and can be blended into your wall so it can be separately textured or can be thicker than the wall and hence protrude slightly.  You will have to re apply the texture. This will not show the bricks corectly however - they will still be straight.  You could use a photo of a brick arch for the texture and it will then look right.

Ask again if you do not know how to do that.

Allan
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:59:26 AM by Allan Chesney »

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* September 06, 2010, 02:22:33 AM
Ah that's a great help, thanks again Allan. As you might guess I'm working on the design of a brick house - I've been able to make custom brick tiles OK by scanning a reference sample from a photo and then taking that through photoshop to make it tileable, but now I'm trying to work on the detailing which involves various protrusions from the wall - such as this arch.

Thanks again for the tip - I suspect I'll be back for more help later!

Roger

* September 06, 2010, 05:22:33 AM
Hi Roger,

Sounds like you have an interesting project in front of you. I thought you may find this post http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,763.0.html interesting if you have not see it already.  It is talking about Gothic arches but the principles involved in the discussion may be useful in the 'detailing' of your project.

Also discussing some detailing was this post http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1127.0.html and how to create them in the PDF in this post http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1130.msg5475.html#msg5475.

You may already have seen these, but thought I would just mention them in case, as they may help.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional