Author Topic: House Not Square  (Read 470 times)

DDenno

House Not Square
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:22:11 AM »
Used the auto dimensioning tool and discovered the house is not square or is not positioned square against the coordinate reference system.  Most likely the later.  The house will not sit directly east and west on the lot.  At one point I rotated it to the proper orientation and then rotated back by the same amount to continue the design.  Now when I use the auto exterior dimensions I get a very small dimension at each corner where it is measuring the walls deflection from 90 degrees to the dimension line.

If I use normal architectural tolerances 1/8-1/4" it rounds these dimensions to zero but still shows them.  I would like to get the model back to square or if I can't do that I would like to eliminate the small dimensions but I can't figure out how to do either.

Also, I continue to have an anomaly at the location where I had the truss shooting out from the foundation (Trusses under floor post).  I have deleted walls in both directions but when they make that intersection it shows up oddly and has two dimension points in the wall. 

Allan Chesney

• Administrator
    • www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au
Re: House Not Square
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
I know it is a bit late now but you should always draw the building with the Ortho (status bar bottom right) ON so that it is square. (obviously turn it off if one edge is not at 90 degrees.  If the building does not sit parallel to north (top of screen) then you simply draw the site boundaries to the required angle to the house.

To be honest I do not know any technique to get it exactly square now other than trial and error.

As far as any unwanted dimension is concerned you can just select and delete it. It will reappear however if you do the 'auto exterior dimensions' again.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

DDenno

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »
If you orient the top of the 2D drawing sheet to north, can you change the position of the sun's axis of movement?  I started with the idea of making things geographically correct.  Then discovered that you couldn't reorient the coordinate system.

If you move up to Envisioneer does it handle the coordinate system differently to accommodate buildings that aren't oriented north and south?

Allan Chesney

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
There is no difference between TFP and Env in the 3D or model area. Env adds the ability for professional people to produce construction drawings but they are still based on the model as used in TFP.

To orient things on the plan it is only really a north point marker. For rendering purposes, so that shadows are correct, you can alter the suns position to suit your locality. See Settings/ Program Settings / Global.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

DDenno

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
Ok.  I am looking at redoing the model.  I should be faster at it this time since I climed part way up the learning curve.  However, I had a great deal of time invested in modeling the terrain, which is on a significant hill side.  I traced fourty plus countour lines to get the slopes.  So how do I rotate the terrain model.  When I select all I get move and delete options.

Thanks again for all the help you have been providing.

Allan Chesney

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
You should be able to do that by just draging the mouse from one corner of the terrain to the other, then right click. You should get Rotate as one of the options. Click in the centre to raotate it around that point.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

DDenno

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
It worked after I turned of some notations I had on the terrain.  TFP is smart enough to know not to let me turn the text 240 degrees. ;)