Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Adding Basement and Fixing the Roof
Read 59 times
* June 05, 2017, 04:50:32 PM
I have two questions.  I am using TFP 3D Home & Landscape Pro 2017 V19.0.2 (161128.1).

1.  I let the program generate my roof, then had to highly modify it since I have six gable ends and one unique small roof.  Everything seems to be working fine except the small unique roof.  We have an offset area on the back of the house which will hold a set of thru-the -wall vented gas logs.  This offset is only about 6 ft. high.  When the roof generated, it put a nice little hip roof above this feature all the way up on the rest of the roof.  What I really want is a shed roof just over the 6 ft. high high walls.  When I remove the generated hip roof and try to build a shed roof, the program tells me it can't find a wall section even though it had no trouble finding it to generate the hip roof!.  How do I put a roof on this feature?  I'll try to attach an image.

2. When I started my drawings,  I went directly to Design to generate my floor plan, importing an image from a stock plan we purchased (and have full rights to change).  I now have discovered that I could have automatically generated a basement if I had started in QuickStart.  I can't find a way to add a basement, other than adding another floor and naming it "Basement" and placing it under the floor I now have.  Would having selected to add a basement in QuickStart done anything different or in addition to just creating a basement in Design?  I'm thinking standard wall construction options, etc. might have been available, but don't see anything in the documentation about basements.

Thanks!

Starman Bob

June 05, 2017, 07:36:01 PM
Hi there,

Roof: delete the small roof and create a shed roof with the freehand roof tool or the four points freehand wall assisted roof. In the first case, you will need to set the elevation manually, in the second case, the program will set the elevation automatically.

Basement: the advantage of creating the basement / floors using Quick start is the fact that the levels fit perfectly. Also, it depends of the topography and situation of the basement.  You can add a new floor and call it basement, however, I strongly recommend that you set the levels first => otherwise this will affect the elevations.

If you are interested, you will find step by step tutorials about these subjects in my eBook exclusive for TFP V19 users
https://www.turbocad.com/turbofloorplan/turbofloorplan-2017-training-tutorials-windows.html

* June 06, 2017, 04:58:49 AM
Thanks Patricia,

Removing the little roof and trying to add a four point roof is EXACTLY what I tried when I got the message about the program not being able to find a wall segment, so. . .

If I want to use QuickStart to set the basement levels, is there a way to move all my work on my floor plan over?  I assume I have to start a new document in order to use QuickStart.  My plan is about 85% complete at this point and I don't want to have to do all that work over again.  I haven't found a way to cut and paste what I have already done into a newly-started design where I can use QuickStart.

I just found out about your e-book last night, too late to order it, so will call it in today.  I have been looking for some additional books on the subject but hadn't run into this one.

Starman Bob

June 06, 2017, 06:18:27 AM
Thanks Patricia,
You're welcome!  :)

Removing the little roof and trying to add a four point roof is EXACTLY what I tried when I got the message about the program not being able to find a wall segment, so. . .
Not sure why you are receiving this message from the program, Are you clicking in the center of the wall? (not on the wall surfaces).
Otherwise, you can create the roof using the Freehand roof tool. Another option: create rectangle (Detail tab) => select it => Convert to => Freehand roof.

If I want to use QuickStart to set the basement levels, is there a way to move all my work on my floor plan over?  I assume I have to start a new document in order to use QuickStart.  My plan is about 85% complete at this point and I don't want to have to do all that work over again.  I haven't found a way to cut and paste what I have already done into a newly-started design where I can use QuickStart.
To use Quick Start, you need to start a new file. You can copy and paste the levels from the old file to the new file, but they must be in the same location => this means that you can't copy the first floor of your old plan to the second floor of the new plan.
In this case, in order to copy the floors from the old file, move the second floor to the third floor and the first floor to the second floor. Notice that in this case, in the old file, you will have the first floor free, so you can rename it Basement  and set your plan.
The most important note: as I stated, set the levels first.

I just found out about your e-book last night, too late to order it, so will call it in today.  I have been looking for some additional books on the subject but hadn't run into this one.
You can buy the eBook online at any time of the day. Notice that, if you prefer, I provide "fix my file services"  ;) through my website
http://www.punchhelpers.com/ourservices.htm

Hope this helps!