Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Creating Custom Objects within TurboFLOORPLAN
Read 13575 times
* October 28, 2014, 10:31:25 PM
I always remembered this thread. I haven't done anything special but I used the technique to save individual rooms so that I could play with putting different rooms together in different ways by shifting them around like a jigsaw. However, I notice that, on the 2D surface, the image of the room is rather poor as it looks a bit like some CAD image with criss-cross lines and extra lines. It's nothing like it looks in the original design, from which it was exported. I tried DXF and 3DS but it didn't make any difference. I also did a bedroom suite like this and it looks awful in 2D (just the plain 2D) view. Is there any way to get it to look like the original design?

I found that there was another way to add the element to the catalog. Just used File/Import/Object Wizard which gives extra options to rename the various parts of the appearance. Importing a DXF file as materials also gives fewer parts to the appearance, which might be simpler. Once imported, it can be added to the catalogue by using File/Catalogue/Add Element and selecting the element on the design.

Lastly, is there a way to move the element to a different part of the catalog? Looks like there are some restrictions here. For example, I modified an existing element in the catalogue to use in a completely different group (a bedroom chest became a chest freezer that I wanted to add to the kitchen appliances). I couldn't find a way to move it.

* October 28, 2014, 11:22:02 PM
Hi Tony,

Making up objects and saving them this way can be very useful but is really only suitable for 3D purposes. There is no way to prevent the criss-cross lines as that is the way 2D represents the flat surface in imported objects. If you only want it for 2D plans then it does not really work unless you want to use 2D Designer View but that is coloured of course. Again if you only work in 2D then you could simply use the Box and Circle options on the Layout Toolbar to draw these objects in. Obviously this would not help if you are using whole rooms. It is really intends for 3D visualisation.

Adding objects to the catalogue via the Object Wizard has advantages and disadvantages. As you found, you can rename parts and even hide parts (so the object only shows a 2D outline for example, by turning off all the 3D parts). The disadvantage can be finding it again after saving to the catalogue. You must take care to note which group you were going to save it to but can't control where it saves it in that group. When you find it however you can move it to some extent as discussed below.

3DS and DXF can only be imported to sections of the catalogue that do not have attributes attached. For example, windows and doors automatically cut a hole in the wall. There is no way to give your object that capability so you cannot save things into Windows or Doors. If you want to move an object you can do so but only in within the original group where it was imported. You can do this using Catalogue Manager. You could for example, in Interior Accessories, create a Group called Appliances and save your Bedroom chest that is now a Freezer there.

I hope that is some help.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* November 10, 2014, 06:57:29 PM
Thanks, Allan. Shame, but that's OK.

Sorry, I missed this reply; I thought I was subscribed to the topic but I guess not.

OK. Question on sinks. There are no sinks that have the drainer and tub combined; they are either single or double sinks. So I'd like to create a sink (doesn't have to snap to the center of a cabinet surface - in fact, that's a pain). Is there any way to use a single sink in a custom object? It seems I can't place it anywhere, only in a cabinet of the right size. I've kind of made one using a floor, a compressed cabinet, a sink and a counter top with corrugated iron for the drainer. It doesn't work too well, though, mainly as the counter top doesn't seem to be a part of the final object (though I did export to DXF). No big deal, though, I really just need something that appears to be a sink, on the surface, in both 2D and 3D.

* November 11, 2014, 09:25:33 AM
Hi Tony,

I have attached a 3DS file of a sink with draining board that may do what you want. Have a go importing that.

To make your own, you just have to put one of the sinks into a cabinet and then use the View Filter to turn the Cabinets OFF, so it then only shows the sink. Now you can cut out the floor to make the draining board, turn off the Terrain in view Filter and export as a 3DS file. It will them import as one object.

Applying the corrugated texture may be a problem - it may go over the sink as well. You could create the lines on the drainer (before exporting as a 3DS!) using the Layout Toolbar Line tool to draw the lines, select them all and select Convert to Member. Choose more or less any member, making it very small to represent the drain lines. You will have to elevate them of course to place them on top of the draining board. This is easiest way to do that is by using a Front Elevation view. Zoom in close on the sink and with all the 'line members' selected, right click and choose Elevate and inch them up to the correct place.

To insert this sink (and the 3DS one attached) you will have to turn off the cupboard top and insert you own "floor" to represent the counter top, cutting  hole in it for the sink to sit into.

Hope you follow all that. Ask again if not.

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* November 11, 2014, 01:00:45 PM
Thanks, Allan. Of course! As I was clicking on the link to your answer, I realised that I may be able to turn off the cabinet or even just use a counter top to put the sink on.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and the sample object. I'll have a go.

Tony

* November 12, 2014, 12:09:13 AM
Allan, I downloaded the sink because it wasn't quite what I wanted but would probably do for my purposes. However, when importing the object, I had to use a custom scale of 0.0000025 (or something like that) to get anywhere near the size I needed (I'm using mm as my unit) but the main thing was that there was nothing visible in either 2D or 3D, though it was selectable in 2D. I altered the appearance to use a 2D line and a silver finish, but still nothing visible. The only things I see in 2D are the rotation triangle and the centre dot, but not even a selected outline. Bizarre.