Sloped roof over exterior staircase

Started by adrefs, October 21, 2007, 05:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrefs

I an attempting to create a roof above a staircase that runs from the ground floor up to the second floor on the exterior of a building.  At the top of the stairs there is a 6x8 landing.  I had no trouble creating the gabled roof over the home and this landing but cannot get the roofline to follow the line of the wall from the top of the groundfloor wall up to the edge of the roof at the landing.  I would prefer to have a gable roof but a shed type would suffice.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Allan Chesney

I am not quite sure exactly what you are trying to do but assume it is something like the image below. As we are all still learning the intricacies of TFP there may be other ways of doing this but all I did was to create another location (Settings/Building Locations) at the height of the bottom of the sloping roof. Set the head, ceiling and wall height to 1mm (or something tiny) and then added a roof with three sides set to gable.

You need to fiddle with the 'Floor Level' of this 'roof only' location so that the top edge of the roof lines up with the bottom edge of the main roof.  Unlike previous versions, if you change the location Floor Height setting it does raise/lower the walls and roof so you do not have to re-insert everthing onto the new locations setting. By adjusting the Location Floor Level in tiny increments you can gradually raise it to line up the two roof edges.

As I said there are probably other ways of doing this - I just used the techniqes of previous versions.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

adrefs

You're sort of close but not quite there.  In the image you provided first enclose the entire staircase down to ground level.  Then create a roof that follows this entire staircase, not just over the landing, but all the way down the side of the wall to just above to entryway at ground level.  Lastly, the roof you applied seems to me to be a shed type not a gable.  What I am going for is to have the roof create a peak above the door at the bottom of the stairs.  All that I've been able to get so far is a roof that remains level with the ground, following the second floor roofline, and while it does in fact create a gabled end - the trouble is that that gable is 20' above the door instead of the 5' or 6' that it should be.

Thanks for your input though, I hope you can help me get this program to work efficiently!  ;)

adrefs

By the way; how can I grab a screenshot to show you what I'm dealing with?

adrefs

I'm guessing I'm the first guy to ever design an exterior staircase with a roof over it by the lack of anyone's input here......

Allan Chesney

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have travelled nearly 4,000 klm since my last post - back home again after holidays on the other side of the country (Australia).

I am having difficulty (and presumably others are too) in trying to picture what you are trying to do - it is very hard to follow from the description. You would almost certainly have to create new location for this staircase 'room' - that way the roof should do what you want it to do but I can't be more specific until I can understand what it is supposed to look like. From reading the desription again I am getting the impression that the pitch of the roof slopes with the stairs.  Is there any chance of posting a rough sketch of it?

Allan
Allan Chesney,

Reg Neufeld

Quote from: adrefs on October 24, 2007, 07:48:48 PM
I'm guessing I'm the first guy to ever design an exterior staircase with a roof over it by the lack of anyone's input here......

I think some of it is that this program is quite new so we may all be trying to figure it out.  I have thread going with some roof issues as well, and am thinking that building on different locations will allow getting roofs to behave the way we would like. I mean come on they did put Pro in the name so it must be able to do it.

Reg
Reg
Turbo Cad 14
Turbo Floorplan 12

Kajvin - Robert W

It is this type of staircase you looking after. first of all I use metric measurements (mm)
For this I have make 2 more location image 1 Sloped roof over exterior staircase.jpg
1.st location - st-roof this have ground level -10 wall heigit 2600 this is for the stair.
2.nd. location door-roof this is same as Second Floor.
I use room division to make the walls for the roof for the both location.
I include the bld file in th zip file
The roof you have to adjust after your liking
Robert

PS. If you ad that wall you like to over room division wall and only on door-roof location for the effect in image 2. Sloped roof over exterior staircase timber.jpg the wall whit the stair are sloped from up to down to get  enclosed staircase, on thing use room division wall for the walls for roof.  By the way I use HyperSnap for screenshoot You can also use Print Screen on your keyboard. DS
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden

Doug.S

"By the way I use HyperSnap for screenshoot "

What is hypersnap......a third party screen capture program? or something in TFP?

Kajvin - Robert W

Quote from: Doug.S on October 30, 2007, 01:05:56 PM
"By the way I use HyperSnap for screenshoot "

What is hypersnap......a third party screen capture program? or something in TFP?

It is thrid party screen capture program this is their site:  http://www.hyperionics.com/index.asp?Page=hsdx/changelog.asp

Citat form the Hyperionics hompage:

- "HyperSnap is the fastest and easiest way to take screen captures from Windows screen, and text capture (TextSnap
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:

adrefs

Robban - You have it just about right!  Starting with your second image, enclose the entire area including that beneath the staircase itself and that's what I'm looking for.  The only other thing would be to have a pitched roof above the stairs, other than that though... nice job!  So how is this done?

Kajvin - Robert W

1: Deck 32mm x 140mm Pressure Treated, location Second Floor and the Stair is a 1219mm Pressure Treated Deck Stair located Second Floor, this is the first to do.
2: make 3 new location as in building location metric.jpg
3: enclose the deck whit invisible walls all 4 side do the same to the stair but there you need to make adjustment later
4: add  roof at  location 5 (in building location metric.jpg) use I have use this roof, 8/12 Pitch Hip Roof, Clay Tiles whit a 5 deg slope at hip-roof and a gavel roof this will be a normal roof.

5:add roof at location 4 ( in building location metric.jpg) use the same roof as in paragraph 4, gavel roof Support Type: Rafter a.   Support Height: 2500. and hip-roof Parameters a - Slope Value 32.00
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:

Jack Zimmer

Nice job Robban,

The use of new locations was required in the old FloorPlan but this new verison allows you to do many new things.

Try giving this method a try. 

Allan Chesney

Quote from: adrefs on November 12, 2007, 09:25:57 PM
The only other thing would be to have a pitched roof above the stairs, other than that though... nice job!  So how is this done?

I get the impression that you are wanting a sloping pitched roof as in the image below, or am I missing the point here?   This was just an ordinary roof in its own project with the roof corners clipped by a second floor 'wall divisions' and then exported as a 3DS and re imported adjusting the Y axis for the slope.  Rotated the texture too to follow the roof line.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

Kajvin - Robert W

Tnx Jack ;D what more to say, I think there is so many ways and combinations to do what you will accomplish in this program, so it is easy to make simple thing complicated, for a amateur like me then come to drawing buildings and design not pro like you and Allan. I found out on more way to do the walls use the grund level then raise the walls to that level you will have whit a combination of sloped and level walls.
/Robert
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer: