how do i put a roof on a raised bit of a house?

Started by anon125, August 05, 2010, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anon125

included is a vers 12 bld file
and the front arched window needs to be bigger height
thanks

Allan Chesney

Normally walls of different heights are put on different Building Locations and the Building Location wall height set accordingly. You then insert the roof on that location.  The simplest way to insert the roof without it affecting the existing roof is to create a new location based on the existing Ground Floor but with the wall height and ceiling height set to whatever the high part is, then insert the roof on that location - it will insert the roof at the wall height. Technically the high walls would probably be best on that location too but you will probably get away with having just the roof on the high location. You will have to make the peice of wall at the sides (that you have elevated) into a complete 'room' otherwise you will find the side walls will render black on Advanced Render (Basic may be OK). You can use the Room Divide tool to make an invisible wall on the inside to make a complete 'room'. The walls will then take on the Exterior texture and render correctly.

The height of the arched window can be changed by adjusting 'd - Right Side' - Both sides will change.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

anon125

we are getting somewhere.
i got a roof on the high bit - somewhat anyway.
how do i make a hole in the old roof?
UPDATE*** i deleted the old roof and put in a new one
than foyer/room is 12 ft high inside!
this sure is a drafty house - the walls do not join!
and when i try to make the upper roof wider the front wall goes wider too!
HELP!!!!
thanks

Allan Chesney

If you look at my previous post you will notice I suggested putting the roof on a new Building Location (Settings Menu - see image). If you do that the roof will insert automatically on the higher walls (12' I presume) without interaction with the main roof.

From your previous post - If you do need to cut the roof out anytime right click and select Cut Opening.

Obviously you need to drag the walls together so that they join - that will reduce the drafts!!

Allan
Allan Chesney,

anon125

sorry allan, still don't get it!
in 12 where do i get that screen that you show?
thanks

Alan H.

Quote from: anon125 on August 08, 2010, 02:03:54 PM
sorry allan, still don't get it!
in 12 where do i get that screen that you show?
thanks

Look at the extream bottom left, click on the picture of the house.

Alan H.
TFP v15 pro,TC v12 platinum

anon125

thanks
found it, but it wont let me put in a wall! all greyed out.

Allan Chesney

Did you click the Add Location button?

Allan
Allan Chesney,

anon125

I clicked the add location button and the numbers are in the form.
but when i open that 'floor' the add walls etc is greyed out
thanks

Kajvin - Robert W

Hi! I have looking at your drawing and I found out that you have a lot of inversible walls,  I think if you delet them and come back to them later, if I not wrong abut it you have this walls to split the floor so you can have diffrent mtrl. on the floor.

My suggestion is you change the foyer floor higt 96" and wallhights 48" this will cut a hole aoutmatic in the main roof on the same time you got a real room so the ext. walls will be correct. On this wall delete all trims, and the floor. 
You have to draw the corspending walls on the groundfloor, but with the same higt as the rest of your building 96".

Robert
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden

anon125

thanks
standing at the door, the far wall and the right side wall are 8 ft off of the ground, and 4 ft high. total 12 '
don't remember any invisiable walls

Allan Chesney

Quote from: anon125 on August 08, 2010, 05:46:49 PM
when i open that 'floor' the add walls etc is greyed out.

When you open another floor, all the elements inserted on other floors are greyed out. As soon as you draw something on this floor it will be in the normal colour.  If everthing on other floors was in full colour, it would be almost impossible to work with, especially if you had many storeys, it would be very confusing trying to work out which floor was which.

On the Foyer floor all you need to draw is the roof (insert By Picking Points) so that it matches the walls of your foyer - this will then appear to sit on your exisiting foyer walls. HOWEVER:....

Following Robert's comments about invisible walls and your comment about it "being drafty" I looked a bit closer at the foyer and it has many issues. I would agree with Robert's suggestion that you delete ALL the invisible walls (room dividers). They do not appear to be doing anything but they are probably causing many problems with the existing walls, as some are in the same place as a regular wall (so inside it) and this may be even making some of the walls vanish. You will have to zoom in close on plan view and search around as there are many long and small pieces all over the place. They show up as black broken lines on the plan, (zoom in close). Turn off the floor and Terrain and you will see them easier.

The foyer walls also have many bad joins and broken segments, so I would suggest that they be all redone after deleting the invisible walls  and use two locations to get the height (96" for the existing Ground Floor and 48" for the Foyer location as Robert suggested). If the walls is supposed to be 12' inside, then the Foyer location's "floor height" should be 108" (96" + 12" for the ground floor thickness).

To redo the foyer, delete all the existing walls that make it up, then extend the existing walls from the four corners to make the new foyer walls.
Once you have them connected on each corner, shift-select each of the walls that make up the 4 sides of the foyer only, right click and select 'Duplicate to Locations' and select the new Foyer location. That will copy the four walls to the Foyer location and they will be exactly aligned and appear as single wall. As Robert said - turn off the Trim on the upper part of the walls (Foyer Location) and turn off the Drop Face too (set it to zero) or it will overlap the lower part of the wall and may cause texture rendering problems. These upper walls (Foyer location) should also be set to Extend to Roof so they will stop at the roof when it is inserted on the Foyer location.

I noticed too that some parts of the building the floors do not meet correctly or overlap (which will give a two texture conflict). Some of these things may not seem relevent, as I seem to recall that you were mainly interested in the garden, but they MAY cause issues for you when you try to render photorealistic images later.

Hope you can follow all of that and that it makes sense. Ask again if anything is not clear.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

Kajvin - Robert W

Hi anon
I have done one example what I mean below. Total height of the foyer is 12'.

edit this post.
Then I read some of Allan's comments in the post below, I think that I have to clarifying my post below .

That is why I have set floor level to 96" on the Foyer Location. To get a smooth over gang from the ground level wall and foyer you shall not have any floor at foyer location. You have also to set " Drop Exterior Face to 0" after you have draw the walls for the foyer, if not this drop will interference with the walls below, this will not look nice.

/Robert
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden

anon125

thanks guys
also on the left as you enter the house there is one wall above the other!
there is a short 4ft high wall then the 4ft wall elevated 8ft to the ceiling.

anon125

okay thanks guys - i am getting somewhere.
why is the main roof sticking into the foyer?
thanks