Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

My quiet space - Examples of Artwork
Read 3738 times
* February 19, 2012, 11:55:56 AM
   Allan  :

Sure.....I'd love to post it !   My artwork is related to Landscapes, Seascapes and some other "general"  subjects.    I work in chalk pastel  (vs  oil pastel).     I'll have to take some shots of them,  and then go from there.
                                                                                                                                               garystan

* February 19, 2012, 02:08:15 PM

Allan :

I tried posting a couple pieces of my artwork,  but, apparently, the file size is too big to post.
                   When I  took shots of the artwork,  it came to (around) 2 mb.    The restrictions at the bottom of the posting page say a limit of 4096Kb .      Unless, shrinking the size of the pic would work.

garystan

* February 19, 2012, 02:18:54 PM

Allan :

I'm trying it again.    I reduced the  file size of the pic.    If this works,  I'll send a couple more.  This is in regards to showing you my artwork.

garystan

* February 19, 2012, 02:28:55 PM
 Allan :

Sorry about these  "numerous"  post,    the facet of sending  .jpegs is still new to me.    Anyway,  here's four more...........   Unfortunately,  it would take  LOTS of posts,  or a slideshow to show all my stuff.
  This is in regards to  "posting"  my artwork.   

garystan

* February 19, 2012, 02:47:41 PM
Hi Garystan,

They look GREAT.  I have never worked in pastels myself - I always use acrylics for small paintings and just plain house paint for huge wall murals I do, but I like they way it seems to give a special 'mood' to the scene, if you know what I mean. I especially like the effect of the 'Hat on the Railing'. I like doing landscape and water sceens too and sailing ships. I have had some of the latter used as book illustrations.

The only thing that is spoiling your work is the size!  You should be able to get them a bit larger. Try setting it to about 800 wide, so it will fit comfortably on most computer screens without sideways scrolling and compress the JPG settings if necessary.  It is a shame not to see them in detail.

What I will do also, shortly, is to move this part of the topic into the Totally Off Topic section (since it is off topic obviously  ;D) and maybe some others would like to post some of their artwork too.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* February 20, 2012, 01:23:39 PM

Allan :

I wasn't sure what  size to make them (for posting).   The original file size  was about 1728 pixels wide, and I forget the height dimension.        I thought about switching to acrylics,  but I'm not sure  how well I would do.
Now, it's your turn.   Let's see some of your  work.
                                                                                                                                         garystan

* February 21, 2012, 08:30:56 AM
Hi Garystan,

These four are all acrylics.  The technique is very different of course to chalk pastels but allows for very fine intricate work, which was needed - especially for the sailing ships. They needed to be historically, technically accurate, as they were for use in books on Western Australian history. Some illustrations in the book were also done in pencil. A pencil one was used on the cover of one of the books and an Acrylic on the other  - I will post them another time and some of my wall murals (they are mainly landscapes).

The Stonehenge painting was purposely painted with very thick paint, so that you can feel the texture of the stones - it shows a bit in the photo. Unfortunately I do not have a record of many of my paintings.  They were usually done for other people and in the early days I did not have a suitable camera - in fact many were in the days of black and white photography so I have no record at all of those!!

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* February 21, 2012, 10:36:49 AM

Allan :

You are a professinal...........right ?    I mostly like that one of the Charlotte Padbury.    Nice shading,  and I'd find it very difficult getting those clouds right.      That  woulld look nice as a wall mural.   I mean from ceiling to floor, and left corner to the right corner.     
                      You got my vote.........as for  talent and content !
                      Question :     What's the actual size of these paintings ?

garystan

* February 22, 2012, 08:59:11 AM
Hi Garystan,

If by "professional" you mean I do it as a business and make money from it - then NO I am NOT a professional!!  Most of my paintaings are gifts for friends or wall murals (like the 3 in this post) that are actually donated to the churches where they are done. Of the 4 images in the previous post and 4 in this, I only got paid for two that were requests.

The images in the previous post and the first one in this post (the book cover) were all about 900 x 600mm (about 3' x 2').

The first mural in this post was about 3.5 x 2.5 metres (12' x 8') and the other two about 10 x 3 metres (about 40' x 10'). In the last one I also built the archways (corrugated plastic roofing and polystyrene) and added the other objects to give the 3D effect. Several others were done in '3D' too. I have also done some stage sets in stadiums too for conventions, sometimes involving large paintings or 3D features.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* February 22, 2012, 12:17:55 PM

Allan :

I REALLY like the  Mural Armadale and the  Bridgetwon Muural.      That Mural Armadale is a nice backdrop for the  auditorium  (church ?).      Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about..........wall murals !!    Of course I realize they take practically forever to finish.
                     By professional,  I meant a  professional artist..      If memory serves me correctly,  you said you were an  architect by trade ????????
                                                                                                                                        garystan

* February 23, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
Hi Garystan,

The Bridgetown scene was also on also on a stage - actually on a split sliding screen joined down the tree.  It had a couple of 'sawn-off' branches attached that acted as handle to open it, and there was a large blackboard behind it.

Of course I realize they take practically forever to finish.
Actually that is not the case - I prefer doing murals as they are so quick. The Armadale one took 15 hours. I started at 7am and finished at 10pm. A lot of it is done with rollers, and very large brushes, with finer detail done with smaller ones of course. 

The Manjimup one in this post took somewhat longer, 72 hours spread out over a week or so. I lived nearby so put a lot of fine detail - lots of animals and birds etc - small of course and a sort of 'challenge' to find them all. The Narrogin one took 6 hours.

Most of the small pantings in the earlier posts took at least twice as long over many months, as it was confined to a couple of hours here and there.

The third image in this post shows the pallars in a nearlier one used in a different way, for a different porgram. Note the 3D elements. Some of the steps are painted and some are bricks, the rope is attached and the foot on the step and the lower part of the gown is made of polystyrene and cardboard.

The fourth images is just some of the stadium stage sets that I have done - some involving paintings too.

By professional,  I meant a  professional artist..      If memory serves me correctly,  you said you were an  architect by trade ????????
Neither actually - until I retired two years ago I worked in various clerical jobs for the local electricty utility (43 years). The last 10 years I was website manger and used TFP animation to create some web applications - I may have linked these before in an earlier post. www.synergy.net.au/renovator and www.synergy.net.au/envirohome

Allan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:04:09 AM by Allan Chesney »

Allan Chesney,

* February 23, 2012, 09:15:34 AM

Allan :
                  Nice work.     Stay with it...........as the saying goes,  "You lose what you don't use".   Something like artwork IS a God-given talent.    Myself,   I'm retired from the U.S. Federal Government.    I used to work in one of the Veteran Hospitals.   Now,  I'm considered retired/disabled.    I had a number of medical problems (including a  triple anyeurism)  these last  10 years.  I'm not doing tooooooo bad now.    And,  I got into home design out of curiosity.  To be able to change the rooms in my home, without actually going through the pysical process.   Which led me to Turbo Floor Plan.     My artistic talent helps with TFP.....colors.....using space and perspective, etc..........................
                 Anyway,  I'll be posting more of my work.

garystan