Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

2 Suggestions: Display Doors Open/Closed/Partially_Open an Space Allowance
Read 2647 times
* December 05, 2007, 02:24:53 PM
First:  I would like to have an option for doors that allows me to control whether they display open or closed in 3D view and, if open, what percentage of their swing travel (rotating, swiveling or pocket) they would be displayed at.

Second:  On catalog elements, I would like to see the figures displayed with an outer dashed line that shows the space that should be allowed around the objects perimeter (or partial perimeter) for proper use.  I've attached a SketchUp drawing of a toilet with 16" clearance on either side, 30" clearance in front and 3/4" clearance from the base to rear (for example, I have no idea what the actual allowances for a toilet should be).  I couldn't draw dashed lines outlining the perimeter clearances but would suggest that the lines be dashed and lighter in weight.  This feature would be useful on many catalog entries and should be easy to implement by adding clearing dimensions in cubic space to database records.  For example, cabinets with swinging doors could show the area that should be left clear to allow the door to swing freely.  Appliances could show clear space that's needed to allow access for servicing and maintenance (think furnace filters etc).  IBM used to supply clear acetate templates showing the correct footprint for computer room equipment to aid their customers in designing layouts.  This was critical during major equipment upgrades and for later ease of use and maintenance.  That's where the idea for clearance allowances came to me from.

rh
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:33:38 PM by ahr8tch »

* December 05, 2007, 08:12:54 PM
On your first suggestion, I believe it already exists....

I have used a hinged door and shown it open, closed or partially open in % increments in 3D renders....much like done in FP11....can be changed in "properties" of the door.

http://forum.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,235.0.html

Second idea good as an option. Until then you can "fake it" with a "rug" with a dotted or dashed line on its perimeter using a .jpg applied.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:30:27 PM by Doug.S »

* December 05, 2007, 10:35:05 PM
Thanks, again, Doug!

OK!  I withdraw the first request.  I shoulda known the guys were all over that.

Now, how 'bout the clearance allowance item?

rh

* December 06, 2007, 06:34:49 AM
Hi, with regard to the 'space allowance', I had a problem like that in 'Classic' FP, when I needed to 'interval' a bunch of objects without worrying about 'snap to grid' and clearances.

IIRC, I was importing them anyway, so I used TurboCAD to add a 'zero-thickness' rectangular plinth, which 'squared up' their extents and 'footprint'. With 'collision detection' enabled, I was able to insert and place them like kiddy 'Duplo' bricks or decorative tiles...

Um, does TFP have a genuine 'invisible' texture ? It was long on FP's wish-list...

* December 06, 2007, 08:13:57 AM
It is easy to draw these lines around objects - in whatever thickness, colour and dot/dash etc combination that you can think of but this is not automatic of course. Making it automatic may be a problem as standards vary from country to country and state to state or are non-existant in some places.

If you need to create these yourself, it is probably easiest to use the Tools/Layout options - the simple rectangle should do for most things and don't forget the double-click.  Drilling down to ever deeper levels is fascinating at times.  You can even type in how big the dots are!!  Another well hidden function but it works well.

And Yes Nik - there is a transparent texture setting - well, sort of. Works beautifully on screen (see image - cabinet top and toilet seat are transparent) but when you render they reappear!  I haven't played with that yet to see if there is a way to make it work.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* December 08, 2007, 07:57:10 PM
Interesting Allan....

when I make things 100%  transparent they are fully NOT seen in either the screen view and NOT in the renders.

I have made a large ceiling fluorescent light fixture be "invisible" except for the light output in the render.

I'll guess that for some strange reason this is linked to your other render problems.

December 11, 2007, 09:36:45 AM

And Yes Nik - there is a transparent texture setting - well, sort of. Works beautifully on screen (see image - cabinet top and toilet seat are transparent) but when you render they reappear!  I haven't played with that yet to see if there is a way to make it work.

Allan
If you use windowglas as material  will work
/Robert

Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden