Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

using a tablet with TFP
Read 3691 times
* January 26, 2013, 07:42:25 AM
Some of you may have a pen tablet to use with your PC....such as a Wacom....usually used for painting or freehand drawing...typically Corel Painter or Photoshop; but it works with all programs that use a cursor....as a "pencil" alternative to a mouse....even includes an eraser if you flip the "pencil" over.

So I recently got a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet. It also has programmable keys, a rotating "wheel" for pan/zoom/brush size etc, and the tablet works like an iPad for finger gestures (also programmable).

I'm now using it with TFP and love it.  For example made one key do alt+t=m for instant measure tool. Also for pan and settings etc.  Will add more as I proceed.

The Wacom can be setup different for each program (keys setup different for each app); and for "all" (for general windows use)...it changes automatically and resting a finger brings up a temp display for every key name.  Also has a "pie" wheel where each pie segment has a "key" function (user changeable) for ease of use with pen or mouse.

Telling you all this because if you already have a Wacom, try it with TFP. If not and you have use in several programs it may be worth the cost.  There are several cheaper knock-offs but Wacom is the de facto industry std.  small/med/large sizes and more

See it at http://www.wacom.com/

* January 27, 2013, 02:17:24 PM
Hi Doug,

Never seen or heard of Wacom in Australia. What o/s does it use?

Would be convenient if TFP worked on my Samsung Note tablet. It comes with a stylus and even when you draw a freehand rectangle or circle it automatically snaps to the correct shape. It would be very interesting to use to draw plans on TFP.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* January 27, 2013, 08:17:49 PM
Wacom is not a tablet in the same sense as an iPad or slate or Samsung etc.

Wacom had the "tablet" name a long time ago (10 or more years) but tablets today mean something else.

The Wacom tablet plugs into your PC as a USB device and acts somewhat like a mouse but the tool in hand is a pen/pencil looking device and the tablet part is a flat surface much like a touch mouse pad on a laptop...and the surface responds to fingers and the "pen".  It has no OS.

So you operate your PC cursor (like a mouse) but with a pen in hand, and for drawing it is much easier to draw or paint like using a pencil than a mouse. "Pen/Pencil" also has tilt and rotation sensitivity as well as direction/velocity and two buttons. Tap the surface for a mouse click. Flip it over and it erases.

Finger motion on the surface engages stuff like rotation, zoom, switch apps, etc. like you do on an iPad type tablet.

I got it for "painting"  (using Corel "Painter" program or Photoshop painting) but it can be setup for any program and switches functions automatically when you switch app in use.

See Wacom.com site for info and videos that show how it works. It is an excellent quality device used by pro's.

* January 28, 2013, 04:13:47 AM
Thanks Doug,

I realise what you are talking about now - the changed use of Tablet through me!!

The Stylus on the Samsung Galaxy Note tablet (or the 'Note' phone - I have that too) works much the same way as your 'pen'. Comes with a very comprehensive version of PhotoShop too adapted especially for tablets.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 28, 2013, 06:10:28 AM
I have the Wacom Pen and Touch. It is a fun product , not too hard to use. I am installing Windows 8 on my main computer in two weeks and hope that the Pen and Touch works with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UigPWJT_lFk

I have also purchased the Samsung Slate 7 with Intel i5 sandybridge processor... 128 w/ 4 gig ram. This runs Envisioneer Construction Suite without a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bunh6Htdxj4 

This Slate was used by MSoft to develop Windows 8 so, it's price will drop when the Windows Surface comes out Feb 8. I'm sure other manufactures will be releasing new versions that will run 8.   

My dream office of the future will not only be touch with two monitors but tied to a 3D Printer that will generate the models when complete  :)

Jack

* January 28, 2013, 06:48:48 AM
Hi Jack,

I love the dream office - is it just a 3D dream or are you heading in that direction?

The Windows Surface has been out here since last October but using Windows 8 RT. Presumably the Surface you are referring to is the more advanced, full Windows 8 version.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 28, 2013, 08:15:00 AM
So far just a dream office, although I will be close to having touch and duel monitor set up complete in a few weeks.

Surface RT is like an IPAD, cant run the program on it.

The full version of Surface out Feb 8th and the Slate like I have is capable.

Jack

* January 28, 2013, 07:13:07 PM
Jack,

Let me offer a suggestion....at least for you to try and then make up your own mind if it works for you:

Dual monitors: I have 2, 24" (matched set/identical); main screen setup in normal landscape orientation...1920x1200

Second monitor I have setup in portrait orientation...1200x1920

Why? because on today's monitors (compared to over 5 years ago; when monitors were 4x3 not 16x9), the height limits reading normal portrait docs....so I read those on the portrait monitor.

I love it that way (now for over a year); but not many others use them that way.

Also I have a couple programs for easily jumping windows back/forth from one monitor to other and to center or locate and size to fit the screen in use...uses simple keyboard shortcuts and now programmed into the Wacom tablet.

For drawing programs I use main monitor all for the window of the drawing and the second monitor has all the tool panels.

Another reason for landscape and portrait monitors is to reduce how far my head must rotate to see from far left to far right...dual monitors both in landscape present a very wide view and more head motion.

When you get dual monitors setup and if you want the free programs to easily move windows, let me know and I'll explain/link to sources.

* January 29, 2013, 07:31:09 AM
Hi Jack,

I know what you mean by the horizontal issue with side by side monitors. For that reason I use a laptop, with a 24" monitor ABOVE it so no side to side issue. I have the 2D plan on the 24" monitor and the toolbars etc on the laptop screen with a 3D Preview for quick checking. Works well for me and all very compact.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 29, 2013, 07:56:01 PM
Ah yes and another "trick" I just setup recently as we bought a new large LCD TV....laptop has an HDMI port....plug that output to new TV  using a 10' HDMI cable and have a 1920x1080 (same as laptop screen config) large screen HD view...can watch videos etc. from laptop; although the TV also has a Wi-Fi receiver and can access www directly with its own browser and remote has a touch mouse pad like laptop.

Next is to try iPad with converter cable (has new  Apple small connector) to output iPad 4 thru converter HDMI cable to new TV...have not done so yet but read that it is easy to do.

Fun stuff as well as useful.

* January 29, 2013, 08:42:48 PM
Samsung has an excellent system. We have Samsung TVs, video player/recorder, laptop, tablet and phones and all talk to each other without any cables. Transferring data and viewing phone, tablet or computer on the large screen is just so convenient and no cables to restrict movement. None of them make coffee yet though!   ::)

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* December 06, 2013, 01:54:07 PM

Mr. Zimmer :

Now THAT'S  a design office.  With skylights no less.......whoa.......

garystan