Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

SCALING A DRAWING
Read 5345 times
* December 29, 2007, 07:19:41 AM
When I export a drawing into turbo cad the scale is alway not the same as in tfp.  How can you select a paper size that is larger than 8.5 by 11.  Or can you export in dxf. at a particular scale, so when you open it up the scale is the same as in tfp. 
It also would be nice if the drawing could be exported without exploding all of the graphics into simple lines.

* December 29, 2007, 08:42:22 AM
I have never done this before so I tried exporting a simple test drawing (4 walls) with very specific measurements, as a 2D drawing DXF format (File/Export/2D Drawing) and opened it in TurboCAD and the dimensions were exactly the same.  Next I then tried a complex one and checked various measurements in TC and again everthing was exactly the same as TFP. I know little about TurboCAD but I could not see any problem with the scale in the transfer.

Not sure what you mean by setting the paper size - TFP exported the whole model without setting any sizes/scales etc - unless you exported a print image.  The DXF export worked perfectly for my very limited TurboCAD experience.

Sorry but I cannot comment on 'exploding the graphics' - don't know enough about it or what it is supposed to do.  The file appeared to be fully editable without doing anything.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* December 31, 2007, 07:33:46 AM
The drawing come into turbo cad not at the same scale as it was exported.  In tfp the scale is 1 : 48 and in tcw it was 1 : 3967, not sure why. 
Once the drawing is in tcw all of the walls, window, everything in tfp is now only line segments, not a wall or etc.
And if you want to try to bring in an elevation view, so you can detail it better in tcw, tfp will not let you do so.  The drawing exported is only the plan view.

* December 31, 2007, 08:31:02 AM
The only experience I have of issues with dxf is a need to explode 'text' to get a good file.  Not sure if this is a particular version, 2000 or 2007 for instance.

* December 31, 2007, 06:46:13 PM
The drawing come into turbo cad not at the same scale as it was exported.  In tfp the scale is 1 : 48 and in tcw it was 1 : 3967, not sure why. 
Once the drawing is in tcw all of the walls, window, everything in tfp is now only line segments, not a wall or etc.
And if you want to try to bring in an elevation view, so you can detail it better in tcw, tfp will not let you do so.  The drawing exported is only the plan view.

Since I do little TCAD but use several other 3D progs,

- Looking at the numbers I think its a conversion between inches and meters as 48 means 4' or 48".          39.67 seems like 1 meter expressed as inches.  Maybe if you check that each is in the same units? But perhaps its the old issue that the underlying dimensions in FP are metric and TCAD its ft-in.   Perhaps if you change the scale in TFP ( from 1:48 to something different) before you export it may be different???  But consider that TFP scale is for printing to paper and I don't think it really changes the underlying math of the model at all and you'd see no difference...but testing will prove that.  Usually conversions of scale are done by the importing program; if you have any choices upon import.  Imports into FP11 always required me to make a "custom" scale  of 305 to get close and the adjust final size after import into the drawing.

- Maybe you can use a different format such as 3ds    or use a third party program to convert from one format to another sometimes things are grouped and you must select the group not the item in the group.....OK if you use the assembly indented parts list tools.

- If I were trying to do an elevation view...why not just orient the 3D view in TCAD to an ortho view of elev.?   I don't think TFP exports an elev. view except as a 2D graphic because its a 2D view (not a 3D model view). See page 310 in the .pdf TFP manual.      DXF can be a 2D or 3D export depending on your export choice....page 311.

* July 18, 2009, 07:00:49 PM
Hi All,
I face the same problem while exporting. I tried with a simple test, four squared walls with 400 cm length each. Exported the drawing- File-Export-2D-Drawing and opened  the drawing in TurboCad, but the length of the wall turned out 10450 cm, which ultimately indicates that there will be problem while printing into scale as well. I could not figure out where I go wrong. Can anyone help please.

ZOTHANSANGA

* July 19, 2009, 07:32:14 AM
Hi Zothansanga,

This again sounds like one program is in metric and the other in Imperial.  I don't know how exact your meansurement was in TCAD, but multiplying 400 x 25.4 (mm to an inch) gives 10160 which is close - almost sounds as though TCAD thinks a mm is an inch (or 25.4mm). Try scaling the drawing when you bring it into TurboCAD by the 0.03937 or 1/25.4 to get it to the proper scale.

Just wondered also why you are taking the drawing into TurboCAD - do you need to adjust it in some way?

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* November 19, 2009, 11:32:50 AM
try setting TCAD import 'setup' / file units to mm.

Jack