Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

workaround for objects that can't be rotated
Read 601 times
September 29, 2015, 12:54:37 PM
Hi! I'm a 3D newbie, interested in architectural design. I'm currently using TFP3D v16. This is my first post on this site. I've used several cheap home design programs in the past and have decided that TFP3D is the best inexpensive program of the lot. I like to think OOTB (out-of-the-box) and I prefer more modern designs. I'm currently working on a 4-unit cluster house intended for a beach setting (not that it'll ever actually be built) and I've come up with a possible solution for rotating objects that cannot normally be rotated. I was trying to add a couple of vertical chutes leading from a kitchen counter down to a couple of bins located in the basement. They're designed to provide a quick and easy way to dispose of deposit and recyclable non-deposit containers. Just drop the containers down the chutes and, presto, you avoid cluttering up the kitchen. After a long catalog search I settled on 'Rain Down Spout 3' from Exterior Plumbing Fixtures as just what I was looking for. But when I installed them I found that they faced backwards and couldn't be rotated. After quite awhile trying various ways to rotate them in 2D Plan View with no success I finally went to 3D Perspective View and found that they rotated just fine. Then I just adjusted their length and elevation and now they look just like they should. I'm including a couple of screencaps of them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:05:59 PM by Moodie-1 »

* October 05, 2015, 07:09:43 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I tried using Rain Down Spout 3 myself but had no problem rotating it, in the plan or 3D view. Maybe I have changed the Snap Edge settings at some time in the past. The Snap Edge setting (on the Behaviour tab), will force an object to align to the wall, depending which edge is selected.

If 'Back' is selected it should automatically snap with its back to the wall. If Front was selected then it would be back to front but, in either case, attempts to rotate it would not work. If changed to 'None' it should freely rotate. If Collision (Status bar lower right) was ON this could also stop it rotating, if it would collide with something when rotated.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

October 05, 2015, 03:09:38 PM
Thanks, Allen. I didn't insert the downspouts near any wall because I knew I'd probably have to rotate them so maybe that's what interfered. I'll check that out. BTW, I know there's a new version of TFP out (v17 or maybe v2015, or are they both the same?) but since so many v16 users seem to think it's inferior to v16 is it still okay to suggest improvements to v16? Any chance v18 may be written to be more like v16?

* October 05, 2015, 04:01:07 PM
V17 / 2015 is a totally different product based on Punch software and is totally incompatible with V16 that was produced for IMSI by Cadsoft. There is no point making suggestions on V16 as it has ceased production in that form. The same program is however still made and has been enhanced considerably since V16 but it is sold directly by Cadsoft as Personal Architect. It  is fully compatible with TFP V16.  Your suggested enhancements may already be part of Personal Architect. ( www.personalarch.com )

Future enhancements to V17 / 2015 will no doubt continue to be based on Punch software, which, because its design base is so different, will probably only go further apart from V16.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional