Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

HELP! This is frustrating!
Read 1537 times
October 14, 2015, 01:21:48 PM
Okay. I've finally (almost) finished one unit of my 2-story (no basement) 4-unit beach house complex (the four units later to be connected by elevated walkways) and all was going well. Then I tried to duplicate the unit to the other 3 locations. After trying again and again to duplicate the ground floor (walls only, along with the pocket doors) I finally got it to work. I made three copies, rotated them and moved them to their exact locations in my plan. So far so good. Phew! I really would have hated to have redrawn them all from scratch! But now, as soon as I try to view the complex in 3D Perspective the program crashes every time! The filesize is just over 10MB. TFP has to be able to handle files much bigger than this, right? I don't know what's going on, 3D viewing worked fine when only the slab foundations were copied. I do have 4 90 arc corner windows in each unit that I had to construct in a different program and import into TFP since TFP didn't have anything that odd in its catalogs. That's 16 objects, each with about 2000 polygons. Could this be what's causing the crash? Or does TFP gag on more than one separate building? I don't see how, since I included a separate tool shed alongside the first unit before copying. Can you explain what's happening? I'm including a 2D screencap of the entire complex at its current stage.  :-[

Just added #1:
I just made a temp file with all the arc corner windows deleted. This dropped the filesize from 10.2MB to 9.7MB (not much of a change). The program still crashes when switching to 3D Perspective. It also crashes when switching to 3D Quickview. Do you think that adding the connecting walkway, thereby joining the units together, might solve the problem?

Just added #2:
I just deleted one unit, TFP still crashes. But deleting one more unit (2 left out of 4) seems to be okay (screencap included). This is a problem. The complex is designed for 4 units, not 2. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:02:31 PM by Moodie-1 »

* October 14, 2015, 07:19:04 PM
First of all the program should accept 4 units or many more for that matter. It may slow down as the file size increases, depending on the compuluter RAM etc but that should not cause it to crash.

I am always dubious about imported objects and so far have created all I need within the program. Depending how well external objects are created, they can sometimes leave stray bits, almost invisible, floating around them and crashes can result when it tries to render these. Post a copy of your window so I can try it and also see exactly what it looks like. Possibly I can explain how to do it within the program. If it is the curved window in the 3D view it should be relatively easy.

If the imported object is not the problem then it could be a different corruption, most commonlly a wall join. Try going back to your 4 units, go to the View Filter and turn off the walls for example, leaving the imported windows and everything else on, and then switch to 3D view. If it does not crash then you have a wall issue somewhere. If it does crash, keep repeating the process, turning off other elements and turn the others on (only one element group off at once). This by process of eliminnation will  find the group of elements that it has a problem with and should indicate what needs to be repaired, replaced, deleted or whatever.

Hope that helps.
Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

October 16, 2015, 12:51:12 PM
Okay, I'll try that. One question: I noticed that whenever I import an external object (one not from TFP's catalogs) it doesn't get placed on any particular level but instead is clickable on all the levels and thus cannot be omitted from the view of any particular level. Is this normal TFP behavior? If so, then I would consider it a bug, one needing to be fixed in the next version of Cadsoft's Personal Architect.

Here's a few screencaps of the corner window, loaded into SketchUp. Please note that this window does NOT consist of flat panes set to fit a curve (aka a bay window, which TFP probably can add from a catalog) but instead uses a single pane of 90 curved glass (which IMHO TFP should have included in a catalog). It's a real shame (to me) that home design programs (like TFP) are geared only to those wanting to actually build their (more traditional) designs and are not very well suited to those who merely want to visualize their more modern (and wild) designs. Hence the relative absence of windows like this one (and also other limitations, like allowing only a few floors, no support for tilted walls or windows, etc.).  :(

Just added:
Here's a view of the window in place. Note that while the wall section can be curved the wall cutout cannot be. This produces a problem regarding applying trim to the cutout so I had to include the trim in the window itself. But this means that the trim doesn't show up in the proper color (white) in 3D Perspective view. Is it possible to add the window (including the proper trim color) to a TFP catalog? And would that allow its placement only into the appropriate level and no others? At present, I have 2 such windows in the same X-Y location, one on the ground floor and the other on the second (main) floor. Since the windows could not be placed into a level, they both occupy the exact same X-Y location, the only difference being their elevations. This was the only way available to get the appropriate 3D appearance. I wonder if this might be a problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:59:28 PM by Moodie-1 »

October 16, 2015, 02:00:31 PM
FYI, here's the only other high-polygon object I've had to import into the project, a corner hot tub I found on a free 3D object website. I added a few small changes to it, notably the 6 grab rails. There's only one of these, located on the second floor deck of each unit. But since I hadn't yet added the second floor to the 4-unit project I feel there's no way it could be the cause of the crashes.

P.S.: You said to "post a copy" of the window. In case you meant to post the actual file, here it is, as a 3ds file. It's meant to be 6 feet wide by 6 feet high, including the trim (if real, it would fit snugly into a cube 6 feet on a side). I hope this format is usable. It seems to be very difficult (at present) to convert 3D objects from one format to another without actually buying the associated programs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:34:32 PM by Moodie-1 »

* October 17, 2015, 05:17:51 AM
First your questions about imported objects appearing on all locations:
It sounds as though you have imported it to the Terrain, not to a Location. Exterior Accessories and similar exterior categories, are attached to the Terrain and the Terrain is selectable on all locations. Your Window or hot tub should have been imported into Interior Accessories or some other interior category (Furniture / Appliances etc) along with other objects that are part of a building.  Terrain objects sit on the earth and it is always the same regardless of how many levels the building is. A tree, fence or Gazebo in the garden are always part of the Terrain and do not usually get used multiple times on different floor levels. I have tested this out and it works correctly - it is not a bug. If you import your window into one of the interior categories, they will become part of the building and can be used on any location. The View Filter can still be used to hide the Terrain objects if required.

Re the SKP corner window:
This is just the same as curved walls in TFP. If you look at your window closely it does not curve but it is actually made of six flat sections, two narrower ones at the side and two larger ones in the middle with a diagonal line indicating the flat surface. The frame is the same but appears more curved as it is in very short flat sections, 32 of them across the width of the Window, each with the diagonal line show the flat surface. This is exactly same process as TFP and all other 3D software programs I have seen. This window is easily creatable in TFP, it can be saved and added to your catalogue for future use and as such usually cause less issues than ones made in other software. I can give you directions how to do this if you want, unless your testing shows that it is not the cause of your crashing issue, in which case you may want to continue using your SKP window. Any imported window will not cut its own hole in the wall as the program does not see it as a Window - it is just an object.

The SKP window itself (at least in the 3DS format as posted) does not appear to have any problems. As you can see by the image, I have replicated a simple building with the window inserted, 8 times. The 3D view works fine and it also renders fine too - rendering will nearly always fail if there is a corruption. This seems to indicate that your window is OK, so the problem is elsewhere. I do not have the hot tub of course and no interior walls but my model is only 1.4MB. If yours is over 10MB there is obviously some other very big object or your model must be full of furniture and many other things to boost the file to this size. Generally TFP furniture dose not add much to file size.

The hot tub:
As you said it appears to be a very high polygon count, all the curves requiring lots of short straight surfaces, each indicated by the diagonal lines. To prove whether it is the cause of the crashing, just use the View Filter to hide it and see if it still crashes.

Objects created totally in TFP can be exported as 3DS, SKP or 3D-DXF. 3DS is best as it will keep the colours selected in the original. See the PDF in the following post, for suggestions on making objects in TFP: http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1130.0.html and http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,315.0.html

I hope some of the above helps.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional