Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Useful SHAPES - Box, Cylinder, Tube, Rectangle, Circle, Ovals, Picture Frame
Read 11396 times
* January 27, 2008, 01:27:33 AM
For those who may not have found it yet there are a range of shapes that are available on the Accessories palette.  Needless to say they can be used for all sorts of things.

The image will show where they are.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* January 27, 2008, 08:49:42 AM
nice resource,

thanks for letting us know and showing the visual to easily find these shapes

* January 27, 2008, 08:59:53 PM
Thanks once again, Alan!

Hadn't discovered those yet and was mucking about with SketchUp and imports.

rh

* January 28, 2008, 02:32:45 PM
For those who may not have found it yet there are a range of shapes that are available on the Accessories palette.  Needless to say they can be used for all sorts of things.
The image will show where they are.
Allan

Oops I spoke too soon.  Just now had a use....found the interior accessories group, no "new group" there, adding one simply adds a folder. None of the groups has these shapes.

Apparently you imported these shapes from somewhere???  I do have one new folder that I inserted earlier with a triangle shape I imported earlier.

I can't find your shapes and I'm sure I did not delete them.

Any suggestions/ideas?

* January 28, 2008, 05:48:53 PM
After you create the folder you have to right click in the lower box to Add the element. Check the image I posted again.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 28, 2008, 08:44:17 PM
I got 'em now

Thanks

* January 28, 2008, 08:53:18 PM
I got the shapes and added them to my catalog, but I can't seem to modify the names - which include dimensions as the first part which clutters up the menu list.

Never mind!  I found the trick.  You have to un-check the Auto Name box after choosing the Edit Element option, then you can modify the names.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:59:03 PM by ahr8tch »

* January 29, 2008, 06:48:10 AM
Further to this point about Shapes under Accessories - All the other Element groups, (Furniture, Appliances, Plumbing etc) allow you to create new objects within that category in the same way.  Under Furniture you will get options for chairs, sofas, tables etc where you can create them how you want from the basic shapes that make them up - and of course the second option on the pop-up window is the import from external sources into that category.

While you are creating a Shapes folder you may want to add the few 3DS files I have attached.  I have posted some of them before but at least they are together here with the subject.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 29, 2008, 02:39:06 PM
this reminds me you can get a fast/simple/small/free 3D .3ds viewer at quick3d.com

you can then view (in 3D and rotate etc.) a .3ds object without opening a 3D program

http://www.quick3d.com/

on left screen 3rd item down, quick3d viewer

I think it opens other 3D files too besides .3ds

* January 30, 2008, 05:00:00 PM
Alan and Doug,

Questions:
1)  How do I get those files into my catalog, Alan?
2)  That quick.3ds is a separate file, right, Doug?  How do I get Catalog elements over to it and back?

As ever, TIA
rh

Answers:
1)  How do I get those files into my catalog, Alan?
Navigate to the Catalog elements folder to which you wish to add them (in my case InteriorAccessories/CreativeShapes).  Then place your cursor in the lower window where individual elements are displayed and right-click and choose Add Element from the pop up menu.  Then, on the Define Element panel, choose the Import Geometry from File radio button and click OK and use the Explorer window to navigate to wherever you downloaded the file.  Select the file and click Open.  A panel labeled Block Import Options will appear.  You can change some variables or just click OK to put the new element in your catalog in the position you chose.  You can edit it later or create a new element from that one later if you choose.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:02:16 PM by ahr8tch »

* January 30, 2008, 09:04:37 PM
That quick.3ds is a separate file, right, Doug?  How do I get Catalog elements over to it and back?

Yes it is a completely separate program that operates all on its own.

You can export any object from TFP12 as a .3ds object...file/export/as .3ds  and   name and save to hard disk
(there are a few .3ds objects in the catalog, especially the extra catalogs supplied with the CD)
Be sure to have ONLY the object you want exported as visible (eye open, set all other objects with eye closed...especially don't forget to turn off the terrain or it will be part of the .3ds file too).

Open the quick3D viewer and file/open the .3ds file you saved.

But I don't know why you would want to do that as you can see any TFP catalog object in a mesh or rendered mode in TFP. 

The best use for the .3ds quick viewer is to view files that are .3ds (likely on your PC from other uses or considering a download from a web site or forum)...without having to open a big program and import etc. just to make a quick view to see if it meets your needs.

But if you have a good idea why to see TFP catalog objects in .3ds, please share your idea as I'm open to learning something new.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:08:55 PM by Doug.S »

* January 30, 2008, 10:09:35 PM
Doug,

I was thinking that maybe the quickview program would let you make mods to some things that are more difficult to do in TFP therefore one might want to take 'em out to another neighborhood, spiff 'em up and bring back home with maybe a new name.  It was a WAG on my part.

rh

* January 31, 2008, 09:03:39 PM
Good idea but its really only a viewer....but it can triangulate (if imported file has n-gons) and can add normals or reverse normals...but that is about all.....other than textured and lighted views, wireframe and surfaced, and a "spin" mode.

Still handy, set as default when a .3ds file is clicked to open....such as viewing a .3ds object found via a web search.

July 19, 2008, 06:44:01 AM
it sure ain't in my "accesories"!

* July 19, 2008, 09:38:07 AM
You have to add it in - see the image in the first entry in this post.

Allan

Allan Chesney,