Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

TFP12 vs 2016Pro
Read 1250 times
* June 02, 2016, 08:18:32 AM
Hi, I've just bought 2016 pro as an experimenting front end to use to rough out my design before detailing in Turbocad.

2016 pro is pretty good, but misses some 3D exporting features that will save me time.

Now I've picked up V12 and find that it does include those DXF exporting features, and in some ways is more customisable than 2016 Pro.  Clearly it misses some of those bells and whistles and nicer, faster rendering of the latest version.

Can someone please advise me which is the latest version AFTER V12 where I can have the 3D exportable option?

Thanks in advance, and a great forum.

Brian

June 02, 2016, 12:37:23 PM
Hi Brian,

Just a short note to clarify: TFP Pro 2016 exports to 3D => just use File => Export => VRML => you can open this file with different graphic programs but especially with Turbocad (wireframe, textured, etc). You can Save As DXF or DWG as well as other 3D formats.
See attached (this is a screenshot of the model using TurboCad 2016 - solid mode)

Hope this helps

Patricia G.

* June 02, 2016, 04:24:20 PM
Hi Brian,

TFP V12 was followed by V14-V16 (no 13) that were produced for IMSI Design by Cadsoft, the makers of Envisioneer, a highly professional program produced for Architects. V17 and later editions are versions of Punch software and totally unrelated other than by name.

If you are looking for a program with the same customizability and export capabilities of TFP V12, then you will find that Personal Architect will do this. Personal Architect (now at V11) is in effect the successor to TFP V16 produced by Cadsoft but now sold directly by them (www.personalarch.com) but with the benefit of presumably about 11 years more development!   Personal Architect is totally compatible with V12, will open any V12 models you have already done, will export (and import) directly in both 2D and 3D DXF (and VRLM) for use in TurboCAD and has the same 4 decimal place precision as Cadsoft's professional version, the Envisioneer Construction Suite.

I presume you were wanting to export to TurboCAD to produce construction drawings and already have this program. However, if you do not already own it, you may want to consider buying ProArchitect instead, as it has extensive built-in 2D functionality that instantly extracts the 2D drawings straight from the 3D model, allowing you to quickly arrange the plans, elevations, sections etc onto the page layout for printing, making TurboCAD totally unnecessary. The Envisioneer Construction Suite does this also of course but both of these programs are much more expensive than the under $100 Personal Architect, yet the latter still has the same 3D modelling functionality, customization, exporting and photorealistic rendering capabilities as the more expensive programs. If you already have TurboCAD and this is a 'once only' job, then Personal Architect will probably do all you need and do it far better than TFP V12.  You will find a comparison of Personal Architect, ProArchitect and the Envisioneer versions at the bottom of this page:  http://www.cadsoft.com/products/

The landscape plan below (reduced size of the original so not easy to read like this) was done entirely in TFP16 so it gives you an idea what can be done within the program. The images show a couple of 3D views of it.

Hopefully that helps in making your decision which way to go.
All the best with your project.

Allan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:50:37 PM by Allan Chesney »

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* June 02, 2016, 11:07:18 PM
Hi Brian,

Just a short note to clarify: TFP Pro 2016 exports to 3D => just use File => Export => VRML => you can open this file with different graphic programs but especially with Turbocad (wireframe, textured, etc). You can Save As DXF or DWG as well as other 3D formats.
See attached (this is a screenshot of the model using TurboCad 2016 - solid mode)

Hope this helps

Patricia G.

Many thanks Patricia, I will have to recheck that out.  I'd read a number of forum comments that lamented the lack of 3D export and assumed it to be correct.

Brian

* June 02, 2016, 11:46:52 PM
Hi Brian,

TFP V12 was followed by V14-V16 (no 13) that were produced for IMSI Design by Cadsoft, the makers of Envisioneer, a highly professional program produced for Architects. V17 and later editions are versions of Punch software and totally unrelated other than by name.

If you are looking for a program with the same customizability and export capabilities of TFP V12, then you will find that Personal Architect will do this. Personal Architect (now at V11) is in effect the successor to TFP V16 produced by Cadsoft but now sold directly by them (www.personalarch.com) but with the benefit of presumably about 11 years more development!   Personal Architect is totally compatible with V12, will open any V12 models you have already done, will export (and import) directly in both 2D and 3D DXF (and VRLM) for use in T
.... snip ....
All the best with your project.

Allan

Many thanks Allan.

I will check out the various versions that you mention.  V16 could be pretty good if it's a lot better but similar in ethos to V12.

I own the platinum version of TurboCad 2015 including architecture tools, and it has great tools, and I'm getting much better at using it - those workplanes can surely give you sleepless nights! :-[.  But, as some have pointed out, it is very hard to beat the productivity of TFP with the quick creation and location of the walls, windows etc for the rough layout of what's already there - something that you can almost do during a visit/survey instead of using a tape, paper and pen.  As you say, I then intended to export that model into TC for detailing and producing my professional drawings.  That's why I'm experimenting with TFP.

I use TC for a number of projects including my own house remodelling plans, that I hope to profit from by offering 'architect-lite' services in my locale.

The badging of versions is confusing - to me anyway - is the following a correct interpretation?

V12, V14, V15 (cadsoft)
V16 aka 2015 (cadsoft)
V17 aka 2016 (Punch)

thanks,
Brian

* June 03, 2016, 02:03:46 AM
Hi Brian,

Hope this helps

Patricia G.

Many thanks Patricia, I will have to recheck that out.  I'd read a number of forum comments that lamented the lack of 3D export and assumed it to be correct.

Brian

I have experimented now, with 2016Pro exporting both DXF and DWG format only provides a 2D representation.
VRL exporting only provides all objects, single layer and not so easy to use at all - I possibly might not bother unless I only had walls to import.
V12 exported as DXF imported nicely, colour coded separate layers for walls, doors, terrain etc.  Easier to 'trace' in 3D if I want to go that way.  Also, things like windows, which I can produce nicer objects that are a better match to what I already have in the house in v12 than an 2016, come across via DXF reasonably well, and I can then apply materials in TC to help me shorten my project timescales.

IME, 2016 is nicer to use, does landscape etc, quicker.  But V12 more customisable with objects that are important to me, and better 3D export capability.  I will check out both V16 to see if that doesn't lose the capabilities that I liked in V12 but perhaps with better usability.

Thanks.

June 03, 2016, 03:07:40 AM
Brian,

Of course, the choice is yours.

Just answering your questions:

I'd read a number of forum comments that lamented the lack of 3D export and assumed it to be correct.
Did you check the comments' version numbers? Because this feature is new for version 2016.

- Versions 17, 2015 and 2016 are Punch's

- 3D Objects are 100% customizable and you can develop new objects with the 3D Custom Workshop Power Tool. You can export these objects as 3D DXF files.

Hope this helps

Patricia
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:44:57 AM by Patricia G. »

* June 03, 2016, 04:01:41 AM
Hi Brian,

Just a comment on your last remark: "I will check out both V16 to see if that doesn't lose the capabilities that I liked in V12 but perhaps with better usability."

V16 certainly keeps all the functionality of V12 and adds to it. You will find also that Personal Architect also keeps all the functionality of V12 with another 11 years of improvements! It also can use the same catalogue you have with V12, so any customization of windows, doors, furniture etc will be retained and can be used in Personal Architect or can be merged with the current 2016 catalogue, so you have the best of both Catalogues.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional