Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Cannot make doors, windows, openings in walls
Read 759 times
* February 02, 2018, 10:02:42 PM
Hello,
After years of inactivity I am now working on a new home, because we plan to move to another location.
Had to 'teach' myself most TFP V16 things again, but till today no real big issues or problems.
But now, all of a sudden, things that were normal and done disappeared and cannot be drawn again...

First an existing sliding door was missing. I tried to re-install it, but could not add a door in that wall. Finally I deleted the wall and created it again. Same problem. After lots of trial and errors the best I could do was add a window (not a door)  with 'door dimensions'.

Last night, all of a sudden my arched long outside terrace (10 arches, 2m each) suddenly missed all the arches. Spent half my night to get them back. No success. Deleting/recreating the wall did not help.
Finally, the 'best' result that I could create ONE arch at one end of the colonnade and TWO arches at the other end - all others were impossible. Such strange and unusual limitations...

I could not find any error or setting or known 'block' that prevents makes doors, windows
Tried a project repair twice. No change. Same issues
Tried to find if .I could change the view filter settings for walls. Could not find anything to improve things.

Can anyone give me a clue about the problem? And a solution as well?
Thanks!

Wim
(73, amateur, no expert)
Yogyakarta/Indonesia

UPDATE: NEW ISSUE? or?
Maybe I am wrong but it looks new to me just now: in 3D views I can no longer 'brush' new colors or materials if I 'look' through an open door: I must be 'in the same room' to make changes. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:24:20 AM by WimYogya »

* February 03, 2018, 08:34:11 AM
Hi Wim,

Re the door problem. Doors will only insert if there is room in the wall and room for the door to open also. Assuming that is OK, and you can insert doors into other walls, could it be you have something on another location or another floor level, that is in the way? For example, if the floor or bottom of a wall in the room above is too low or in the room below is too high, the door sees it and wont insert even if you can't see it (because the other location is dimmed).

Could the arches (using the Openings tool assume), be the same thing - a lower or upper level intruding? Are your Building Location heights all set correctly - do they 'add up' to the correct heights so that the walls of one floor do not protrude into the space of a floor above or below? If there is something intruding, it does obviously not do so on the two end walls where the arches worked. Have you tried doors and arches in a wall in a totally now test project and confirmed that they door work properly? If they do then you must have something in your current model intruding into the space the door or arch needs.

You cannot use the paintbrush through an open door, you just have the camera in the room you want to paint.

Let me know how you go with the doors/ arches.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* February 03, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
Hi Allan,

Thanks very much for your extensive reply.
Unfortunately at this very moment it does not solve much: it is past midnight and I need to go sleep. No time for tests and experiments now.
Most likely tomorrow neither.
But the problems have nothing to do with locations and conflicting floors: I work on a one level project. Ground floor only.

And strange: My project HAD 10 arches, and 2 kitchen doors already, no problem at all to make them.
Suddenly they were gone - I can not remember I made any conflicting changes in or around the relevant walls.

In other sections of the same walls I can make doors - as before. But not the 2 kitchen doors.
And in the 20m long veranda/terrace wall I can only make one arch on the left and 2 on the right. I do not see why the other 7 are 'unacceptable'...

No other options for now... the bed is waiting.
Feel free to react while I sleep.

Thanks for helping!
Regards,
Wim

* February 03, 2018, 04:19:50 PM
Hi Wim,

I trust you feel rested after your sleep, as I do. We are almost in the same time zone as I am in Western Australia just south of you. I have a busy day today also but given the unusual effects you are having on the one location, it may mean I have to see the model to be able to work it out, otherwise I am just guessing.
Can you please attach the file to your next post, or if it is too big (4MB limit) or you dont want other people seeing it,  email it to me.
My email address is " alches AT iinet DOT net DOT au ".

Have a good day,
Allan

Allan Chesney,

* February 03, 2018, 10:52:23 PM
Hello Allan,

Just a quick update on a busy day for both.
Thanks a LOT for the willingness to examine my project.
Maybe later: not necessary at this moment.
Because the worst is over!

Based upon your previous consult (check for conflicting other elements) I came to the conclusion that the only bothering element could be the roof. Still struggling with the complicated roof structure, so I don't know if I made any mistake.
But during my breakfast I checked if making the arch size a bit LOWER would help: it did! Arch problem solved - although I still do not understand why 1+2 arches had no problem with the earlier dimensions and the rest did...
Then the main kitchen door: also done - after an apparent change of the roof structure.

The only remaining problem at this moment is minor: one (unimportant) kitchen door. I can still experiment by myself (after today) to see if I can solve it.

If not, I will kindly accept your invitation to send you my project file.
You seem to be a pro (saw your website) - but I do not wish to bother you and rob you from costly professional time!
Just tell me what is possible within the frame of the TFP Forum assistance.

Thanks so far, have a nice Sunday - as long as it still lasts...

Wim

* February 04, 2018, 09:27:32 AM
Hi Wim,

I trust you had a good day yesterday.

If the roof is causing the problems I suspect it is too low. Check the Building Location dimensions to make sure they add up properly and that the wall that you are using is set to automatic height.

The roof does of sit on the wall you insert, it sits at the height of the wall you nominate in Building Locations. If you are inserting a wall that you have set to 2500mm but your Building Location wall height is set to 2400mm then the roof will be at 2400mm not 2800mm. If an arch goes just 1mm above the 2400mm then it will hit the roof, even if your inserted wall is 2500mm. Generally walls should be set to Extend to Roof and the Building Location setting will control them.

Hope that helps,
Allan

Allan Chesney,

* February 08, 2018, 07:37:58 AM
Hi Allan,

I made some changes in my project - and some progress in understanding the limits of adding elements to walls. Thanks to your explanation. Therefore the above-mentioned trouble is over.

Adding more details to my projects I have a few additional questions that I cannot find solutions for. Would it be possible to ask them HERE or is it better to write them in DM's, more appropriate to just handle one topic per forum thread?

Please let me know,
Thanks,
Wim

* February 08, 2018, 08:18:52 AM
Hi Wim,

I am pleased to hear that your previous problems are all sorted out!

For any additional questions you have,  it is probably best to ask just one question per thread, with a descriptive topic title for each, so it is then easy for others, who may have a similar question, to find the answer.

Regards,
Allan

Allan Chesney,