Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Importing pdf? Tracing? TFP V15
Read 1270 times
* January 15, 2017, 07:35:21 PM
I have TFP V15
I had to have someone draw my roofline because I couldn't figure out how to get the elevations and roof line to work.  I have it in a pdf form to scale of 1/4"=1'.  Can you import pdf's?  I have tried to convert the pdf to dwg file but when I do and then import it, all it get is the writing on the paper, no elevation drawing.  I read on here that it has to be a TFP not just a DWG file but don't know how to do that.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I also can't figure out what it means to get something to the point to trace it, either.  Can someone direct me.  I need to do this to make some exterior wall changes that will affect bids so I need to be able to print elevations to scale for the exterior work.   TIA

sweetsally

* January 16, 2017, 04:05:35 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

TFP will not import a PDF for tracing,  only DWG, DXF and JPG. If you save the PDF as a JPG file, either by File/Export in your PDF viewer (if it has that capability) or by zooming the Elevation on screen and the doing a Screen Print (or use the Windows Snipping Tool) and save this as a JPG, then you can import, size and trace that.

However..... I do not see how this is going to help you. The TFP model is 3D and your imported Elevation is only 2D so would be laid flat on the ground, as the Trace option is for tracing the Floor Plan. As you trace, the program itself creates the walls and you add the roof usually with a single click when the outer walls are complete.

Going by the PDF you have attached, the building itself, although not simple, can be done quite easily in TFP and the roof is really quite straight forward, most of it should insert automatically with one click of the mouse, the only modifications needed being to change the automatic Hips it creates, to Gables.

By default the roof will automatically follow the line of the exterior walls so that needs to be done first. I can guide you through the process but you must get the exterior shape right first - the roof will then follow automatically. It will sit at the height nominated as the Wall Height in Settings/Building Locations.

When you are ready to proceed please post an image of your floor plan and a copy of the BLD file (or email it to me if you prefer -  alches AT iinet DOT net DOT au).

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* January 16, 2017, 04:27:34 PM
Thank you Allan.  I will get working on it like you suggest to see if I can do it.

sweetsally

* January 16, 2017, 04:38:00 PM
If you get stuck just ask.  ;)

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 16, 2017, 08:35:49 PM
Hahaha.  Stuck  that is an understatement.  I have no clue, again.  I am running in the same circle like I did when I first tried to do the roof.  I am attaching so you can see the error of my ways, (which are many).  I only know how to attach but don't know how to just post an image.  I had the program do the auto roof again and then started changing to gables where I needed them.  I got lost on the double gables on the front.  I was able to add the clipped gable on the ends that I want, that was simple enough. The auto roof doesn't put the roof over the deck so I tried to tie one in, but still don't know what I am doing wrong, other than its not working right.  I really am not good at geometry. :-\

sweetsally

* January 18, 2017, 12:46:13 AM
Hi again.

Sorry but you did not actually attach anything!

Posting an image is exactly the same as a PDF - just click "Attachments and other options" underneath the text box and click the Browse button alongside the Attach box. if you select a JPG or other image file from your computer when you click Browse, it will automatically display the image when you click the Post button. You don't see the image until it is live on the forum.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 18, 2017, 11:05:01 AM
Ok I'm not sure if these are going through since I go to post but then my computer states that the webpage is unavail after I hit post.  I'll try it again just posting the pdf's this time.

sweetsally

* January 18, 2017, 03:30:48 PM
The PDFs posted OK but they do not appear to be TFP drawings, as the appliances do not look like the standard ones in TFP. I will need to see your TFP ones to help you with the roof. They should post in exactly the same way as the PDF ones do.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 19, 2017, 12:46:43 PM
The appliances are from the TFP so I don't know why they look different.  Thank you for taking so much time to look at my project.  It is very kind of you.  Every time I try to upload my TFP file to the forum, it cuts out. I will have the file to email it to you.  Maybe you will have better luck to post it. 

sweetsally

* January 19, 2017, 05:04:20 PM
Maybe the appliances look different as you have used different ones to the ones I normally use. I tend to use the same ones in each project, so I am not used to seeing the ones you used.

When I look at your plans again, I notice there are a few areas where the wall steps in slightly for example, or out (where the doors go out onto the deck), and maybe your roof is straight in these places. The automatic roof will follow the wall line. To solve this problem, when you select the roof tool, you can right click and choose "Roof by Picking Points". Using this you can just draw the roof anywhere in effect, to get the exact shape it needs to be - it should then form as you picture it. When you do this, bear in mind that the line you draw is where the wall normally connects to the wall - the eaves or overhang are added when you do the final join.

If that doesn't help, try emailing the file - maybe it is too big for the forum, although usually it would tell you that it has exceed the maximum size (4GB)

Allan

Allan Chesney,

* January 21, 2017, 05:22:46 AM
Hi Sally,

I received your file by email but it is not in a TFP format. 
The file name should end with .BLD not .PRO - maybe you accidentally attached the wrong file.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

January 21, 2017, 06:08:37 AM
Hi Allan / Sally,

Sorry to barge in, but I remember the files that you sent me in 2015 via Dave Taylor: I believe that you have TFP 2015, hence the PRO file.
Please, open your program => Help => About. You can see the name and version number of your program.

Hope this helps,

Patricia

* January 22, 2017, 10:40:22 PM
Yes Patricia, I thought I said that I had TFP Pro 2015, but now I see that I listed it as TFP Pro V15 which must be incorrect way to say it.  I apologize if I didn't explain myself better.  I tried to do the roof myself so I could learn and understand the program but when I had to send the prints to an engineer for structural issues, she sent them on to her draftsperson to do the roof lines.  Now I have had to make some changes and while they are making the structural changes, I need to get a elevation drawing so I can continue to get the bids I need. The trades want to see a elevation drawing to scale so I am now trying once again to get this done.  All my files are .pro files.

sweetsally

* January 22, 2017, 10:51:13 PM
And thank you Patricia for clarifying the issue. I failed to say that.

sweetsally

* January 23, 2017, 02:15:16 AM
Hi Sally and PatriCia,

Yes it appears that is the problem and explains the different looking plumbing and appliances and also the file extension PRO not BLD.  The file name should have alerted me at the time but didn't!!

Since the question relates to V2015, I will move it to that part of the forum and no doubt you, Patricia,  can help Sally out with her roof quesion.

Regards
Allan

Allan Chesney,