Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Convert Gable to Hip roof
Read 390 times
* March 16, 2017, 06:47:50 PM
Hi Folks,
I am new at using TBF and I have TBF 3D Home and Landscape Deluxe V17 for Windows 8, 7, XP.  I purchased it about 3 years ago in April 2014 and I am just now getting around to using it.

I generated a house plan with Quick Start and realized it created a Hip roof ( I didn't shut off automatic roof generation). I then tried to change the Hip roof to a Gable roof without any success. Is there any easy way to do that?  I also tried to find a way to delete the Hip roof, but without success.  Is there an easy way to do that?

After my previous lack of success I regenerated a new house plan using Quick Start with the automatic roof generation function turned off.  On completion I used the Roof Tool to create a Gable roof, but I am having trouble creating the "full" Gable end side walls. I was able to do one end with a lot of frustration and trial and error attempts with wall height.  The opposite Gable end of the house plan is more complicated as it has a 90 degree L shape design with a connected Gable roof to the main Gable roof. The problem I am having here is to segment the outer wall so that I can create only a portion of it as a full Gable end wall as part of this outer wall is at the standard 8' height.  Is there an easy way of creating a "full" Gable end wall along only a portion of an outside wall?

All this frustration makes me wonder why the Turbo Floor Plan software designers default to generating a Hip roof when the vast majority of the houses I see have a Gable or combination of Gable roof designs.  It seems like in the real world it is easier to build a Gable roof than a Hip roof, but not in Turbo Floor Plan.

March 17, 2017, 04:55:31 AM
Hi Ray,

V17 is an old program: current versions recognize the shape of walls (gable or straight) and develop the roofs accordingly.

Now, let's review some concepts, so you can visualize the concepts using the image attached
1 - TFP includes 2 types of roofs: Free Hand roofs (outlined and pointed in red color in the image attached) and roofs developed using the ready to used shapes (outlined in yellow color in the image attached). Note that the Autoroof feature creates Free Hand roofs (outlined and pointed in red color in the image attached).
2 - In order to edit a roof, change shapes, move or add points, the roof must be a Free Hand roof => this means a roof developed with the Autoroof feature or a roof created with the Free Hand roof tool (outlined and pointed in red color in the image attached).
3 - Therefore, in your case, you can create the gable roof using the Free Hand roof tool (outlined and pointed in red color in the image attached) or by editing an Autoroof,  as explained in the item 4 (below).
3 - If you have a Free Hand hip roof (outlined in brown color in the image attached) and you wish to convert it to a hip roof, just perform these easy steps:
     - Select and delete the end parts of the hip roof
     - Select the point outlined in blue color in the image attached => move this point to the position outlined in green color in the image attached, following the path pointed with a magenta color arrow. Perform this action for the 4 points that created the hip in the original roof.
4 - Your hip roof is ready, as pointed with a black color arrow in the image attached.

TFP, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components.
If you are interested, I have several training e-books, one of them is free. See links below in my signature.