Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Split-level Co-ordination
Read 644 times
* April 09, 2017, 04:52:29 AM
1. I have experience with several 2D programs, but need some advice about TFP. Goal: As-is plan for a friend of a split level home. I used Quick-start to generate the 2D plan. The  "new Project" screen never appeared and I cannot find how to cause it to appear: the Quick Start created a single story house. The house has a garage one the lower level and  one-half of the house is 3 feet abot the other. I am sending a screen shot of the plan with the line showing the shared wall and elevation change--the "floor level" needs to conform to the elevated portion.
2. I "started " this project by generating a topo based upon the lot dimensions and elevations. How do I integrate this into the plan view?
3. Why am I unable to access the "Project Set-up" screen?
4. I promise that I did review the forum entires to the best of my ability, but found no information that was germane.

April 09, 2017, 10:02:57 AM
Hi there,

In my opinion, the best approach to create a split level is the following => in Quick start create a floor for each level of the house. Basically, each floor is a different elevation in the space, so you can set the different elevations as desired.
Once you created the levels and plans for each level => click continue => in the main program, you can add the topography and lot.
If you prefer, in your current plan, create the 2 levels of the split house and move the elements to the correct level (Edit => Move to floor)

I am not sure what do you mean by "Project Set-up" screen?" Can you clarify?

If you are interested, I have step by step tutorials about split levels in my e-book. See link below.

* April 09, 2017, 02:35:43 PM
Dear Patricia G,
Thank you for your reply. I have your book and cherish its guidance. Can one create two floors on the quick-start area? Where would one place the garage, which in this  project lies beneath the "left" part of the house.

The project set-up screen is shown in the attached *.jpg.

My "topo" is also a *.jpg

Best,.
Jack

April 09, 2017, 02:57:46 PM
Hi Jack,

You're welcome. Thank you for buying my eBook!  :)

Yes, you can create two or more floors in the Quick Start area. Just use the Floor button on the left of the screen (see attached) => you can select each floor, add more floors, or edit / set the elevation and properties for each floor.

To import / trace the site plan and topo plan, use the Trace feature (Design => Floor Plan Trace Properties). To see step by step how to import and scale the trace images, follow the instructions that start in the page 34 of my eBook.

There is a tutorial with images about split house in the page 228 of my eBook (of course, let me know if you have questions)  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:59:44 PM by Patricia G. »

* April 10, 2017, 03:40:40 AM
Dear Patricia,
That really helps me. In learning any new program, I find it is necessary to attempt to understand the "logic" of the writer of the code. There are so many "behind the scene" activities that happen in TFP, I fear that I may mis-interpret. When I build a house, or imagine it, I generally start by thinking about the topography, then the building pad, foundation, etc. So much is done for me in this program that I fear getting in the way. And, if I started to far along the logic chain, how to add items that are earlier in the chain? For example--join the separately generated topo to the building plan.

I shall continue on, hopefully grasping the intentions, with many thanks to you for your help. It may be better to simply start over with the "quick start" as you pointed-out.

Best regards,
Jack

April 10, 2017, 05:18:13 AM
Hi Jack,

Glad to know that the answer helped!  :)

Two additional answers:
if I started to far along the logic chain, how to add items that are earlier in the chain? For example--join the separately generated topo to the building plan.
As a matter of fact, when you design using TFP, there isn't a right or wrong order. If you prefer, you can develop the topo first and the building after (or viceversa). If you wish to develop the topo and the building in separated files, you can copy the topography that you developed in the topo file and paste it on the building file (or viceversa).   

It may be better to simply start over with the "quick start" as you pointed-out.
Just to clarify: nope, I didn't suggest that the best option was to start over using "Quick Start" => I was just answering your question "Can one create two floors on the quick-start area?"

Good luck with you project!  :D

* April 10, 2017, 07:46:09 AM
Dear PG,
Almost an "Aha" moment--I find it remarkable that the program's creators made cutting and pasting applicable to such a complex program. Does that mean one can "cut-away" a section of a plan and paste it as a new entity--in my case, slice the split part of the 2D plan away and paste it as a new floor?

What is the procedure when a shared wall (in a split-plan) begins at elevation X but also must have the wall height of Y + 36" [as in my plan]?  Y = wall height in elevated part. I assume that if I were to assign elevation X + 36" to the sared wall, there would be a gap between the floor elevation X and the elevated part.

Regarding the "quick start," so far I have found that attempting import of, say, a DWG has too many warts (probably because of errors in the 2D program it came from), so I simply resorted to that starting over stance.

Anyway, this has been highly instructive, and I thank you.
Regards,

Jack

* April 10, 2017, 09:02:11 AM
Dear Ms. G,
Trying to avoid starting over, I note that the current 2D plan is designated "Floor 1." If I attempt to add a new floor, I can only add a floor ABOVE another floor, therefore it would seem that I must start over.

Given that, here would be my steps:
Using quick start---=>
2D draw garage (Floor-1) Elevation would equal 0"
2D draw  left half of split house (Floor 2) elevation = 111"
2D draw  right half of split level  house (Floor 3) elevation = 147"
Finally somehow combine all of these into one project. [I need more research here.]
Off I go!!
Best,

Jack

April 10, 2017, 09:21:28 AM
Hello Jack,

You're welcome!  :)

Does that mean one can "cut-away" a section of a plan and paste it as a new entity--in my case, slice the split part of the 2D plan away and paste it as a new floor?
Yes, you can. First, set the elevations of each floor as explained above => so you will have the first floor (for example) at elevation 111" and the second floor at elevation 147". Then, in your floorplan => Select the walls on the right of the "common wall" => Edit => Move to Floor => second floor. In this way you will have each floor at the desired elevation. Depending on how you set the walls, you may need to adjust heights and elevations of common walls.

What is the procedure when a shared wall (in a split-plan) begins at elevation X but also must have the wall height of Y + 36" [as in my plan]?  Y = wall height in elevated part. I assume that if I were to assign elevation X + 36" to the sared wall, there would be a gap between the floor elevation X and the elevated part.
You can stack two walls or you can create a wall height covering both levels.

Regarding the "quick start," so far I have found that attempting import of, say, a DWG has too many warts (probably because of errors in the 2D program it came from), so I simply resorted to that starting over stance.
In my eBook, you will find my DWG importing tutorial (page 31). If you prefer, the tutorial in also in my website
http://www.punchhelpers.com/acadtutorial.htm
or in my free eBook
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/369372

Hope this helps  ;)

April 10, 2017, 09:26:34 AM
Dear Ms. G,
Trying to avoid starting over, I note that the current 2D plan is designated "Floor 1." If I attempt to add a new floor, I can only add a floor ABOVE another floor, therefore it would seem that I must start over.

Given that, here would be my steps:
Using quick start---=>
2D draw garage (Floor-1) Elevation would equal 0"
2D draw  left half of split house (Floor 2) elevation = 111"
2D draw  right half of split level  house (Floor 3) elevation = 147"
Finally somehow combine all of these into one project. [I need more research here.]

1 - Set the 3 levels with their elevations.
2 - Select all the current "Floor 1" => Move to Floor => second floor.
3 - Draw the garage in the first floor.
4 - Split the second floor as in indicated in my post above http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,3266.msg15894.html#msg15894

Regards,

* April 10, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
Dear Ms. G,
I followed my method but the program did not allow me to set the working elevation of Floor 3 at 147"--it defaults to 17'0" resulting in the 3D rendering in file.
So the next step in the learning curve is how to join the Left walls of Floor 1 (garage) and the left walls of floor 2, and finally to merge the left wall of floor 3 with the left wall of floor 2 maintaining differing (and correct) elevations?

The files attached => PS-3d VIEW AND PS ALL FLOORS SHOWING.

Sorry to be such a slow learner.
Best,
Jack

April 10, 2017, 10:31:25 AM
You need to set the correct elevations and base elevations, otherwise you are stacking floors.

Go to Floor 3 => Floor button => Edit Floor => Floor base Elevation => Floor is above "None" (outlined in red in the image attached).
Set elevation at 147". See image attached.

* April 10, 2017, 12:06:00 PM
Hi Patricia,
Did that, but still wondering about the floor relationships.
Should I have created a "grid zero" point that would carry from floor to floor so the floor 1 and floor two would start at the same place at the "upper left hand corner?"
If that works, then I imagine I would have to discover where the "upper left hand corner" of floor 3 would connect to the "upper right hand corenr" of floor two. It seems to me that somehow there has to be a registration guide--like when etchings are made in different colors. 

I cannot find where that is set or how.

Again, thank you for dragging me through the molasses.

Bst,

Jack

April 10, 2017, 01:41:37 PM
Jack,

Don't worry about this. If you set the correct elevations, the program does the levels' management.

* April 11, 2017, 08:38:23 AM
Dear Ms. G.,
I am either doing something wrong or my version of the program does not respond as it should. I show the screen shot of the three floors as generated in the 2D program--this shows Floor3 in its relationship to the floors below (the latter in light blue). The 3D rendering shows amost exactly that relationship.
Check list:
This is a new version of the project started using Quick Start, drawing three separate floors.
Elevations set OK: Floor1 =>0"; Floor2 => 111"; Floor3 => 147"

Is there perhaps a step here that I need to take, for otherwise I get what is shown in the screen shots.

Warm wishes,

Jack