Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Elevation confusion
Read 397 times
* May 27, 2017, 09:35:31 AM
I'm confused about why I am seeing an "Object Elevation" for cabinets attached to a wall of 0", which would seem to imply that they are sitting on the floor, when they're not. 

The floor Working Elevation is 5" as it's above a basement, and slightly above grade - Pic 1.

A window in the wall shows an Object Elevation of 2', consistent with its Properties - Pic 2.

But the cabinets show an Object Elevation of 0" even though the elevation in the Properties is 4' 6" - Pic 3.

I thought both windows and cabinets, being "components", (or "elements"?), would report their elevation in the Object Elevation box consistently, but that's not the case.  Why is that?

May 27, 2017, 04:34:44 PM
Hi there,

In TFP, you have objects (POBs), like chairs, tables, etc. And you have components and special objects, like cabinets, doors, windows and accessories (shutters, curtains, etc)
This is a very important distinction because the components and special objects have special properties.
The components are attached to the walls so they have their elevations defined by the levels of the attached walls. This means that when you insert a cabinet, by default, the elevation of the base of the cabinet will be referred to the base of the wall.

If you "Edit Current Floor" (see image attached), you will see that the wall elevation is above the floor "B" (10" in the example) => this means that the 0" level of the wall is 10" above => if the cabinet (or other component) is inserted in the base of the wall, the elevation of the cabinet is 0" because is referred to the wall ("A" in the image attached).

The objects (like POBs) don't have any special property. Therefore, if you place an object on the floor of a room, the elevation will be above the floor => 10" in the image attached or 5" in your case.

Hope this helps!  :)

* May 28, 2017, 05:42:59 AM
Hi Patricia:

In your tutorial e-book you do draw the distinction between objects on the one hand and components and special objects, like doors, windows, cabinets, accessories, etc., on the other hand.  In your discussion of elevations that you illustrate with a cutaway view of a three story house you point out: 

"In the second floor, there are two elements attached to the walls: a window and a door. As they are attached, their elevation is related to the base of the walls where they are attached, so in this case, the window elevation is 24” and the door elevation is 0” => this means that the windows is 24”above the base of the wall and the door is at the same level of the base of the wall."

So why does the Elevation Bar in my drawing show the window 2' above the floor and the cabinets at 0" - implying the cabinets are sitting on the floor? -  when the actual elevation of the cabinets is 4'-6"?

May 28, 2017, 07:50:08 AM
Hi there,

As I stated, because the components' elevation is referred to the base of the wall and not with the topography.

Hope this helps!

* May 28, 2017, 08:02:55 AM
Sorry, I'm simply not understanding what you're telling me.

The bottom of the window really is placed 2' above the base of the wall.  It says that in the Properties area, it says that in the Object Elevation area

The bottom of the cabinet really is placed 4'-6" above the base of the wall.  It says that in the Properties area, it doesn't say that in the Object elevation area.

Both the cabinet and the window are "components and special objects".  It just seems like some sort of logical inconsistency.

May 28, 2017, 12:46:20 PM
The concept is the same, as I stated in my e-Book and in my posts above,

Now, if you are asking specifically about the situation in your pic 3, notice that you are placing a top cabinet with microwave. By default, this cabinet is  placed 18" above the counter or 54" above the floor. Therefore, the starting elevation for this cabinet is 54"  (or 4'-6") (see attached)