Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Endpoints
Read 977 times
* January 18, 2018, 10:30:27 AM
A nice feature would be to allow moving enpoints from the center of an item like a wall to the left or right edge.
When drawing a square floor plan with 20' sides and 6" walls, you actually end up with 20'-6" outside dimensions.
It you take the same wall and copy to another floor and then convert the walls to 4", you will have 1" overhange in the inside and outside since the convestions are based on the centerline of the wall.
This also creates issues when using trusses and gable wall. Things don't line up properly because the gable portion of the wall is based on the center point of the intersecting wall, which would leave the gable end fill short by 3" on each end. There are workarounds for all these issues, but they are a little labor intensive.
I am used to using Turbocad which has this feature.

January 18, 2018, 12:04:14 PM
Hi there,

TFP is a Home Design program and TC is a CAD program. This makes a great difference because, in Home Design program, by default, the items are linked with the components' properties.
As you mention, there are several workarounds. My favorite is (fin this case) => select one wall each time => Edit => Move => 1" towards the exterior face of the wall.

Hope this helps.

* January 18, 2018, 02:56:51 PM
Yes, thanks. I do that as well.
To fix the roof issue requires a little different process.
For a 20' X 20' foot enclosure with 6" walls, I make the 2 gable end walls full 20'.  I then make the 2 side walls 19' and make sure to fully join them since they are not fused by endpoints. This also corrects a visable iregularity in the wall corners when viewing in framing mode. When they are properly joined, the floor and ceiling functions work fine.

January 18, 2018, 03:35:03 PM
Not sure if I understand. Can you post an image?

* January 19, 2018, 06:28:51 AM
The first image is the upper level floor plan. Notice the corners are not fused in the traditional method, They are joined to form a perimeter. The 2 end walls are gable walls and allow the gable end to be formed to the ouside perimeter instead of 3 inches in from the ends. When doing the same process using fused walls where the endpoint is in the center of the corner. the gable wall lower portion ends 3 inches from the outside corner which means the upper portion will not reach the underside of the roof. You can view this if you get at the right angle near the roof bottom and you will see daylight between the gable top and the roof bottom.
The second image is the framing.
The third image is the textured view.

January 19, 2018, 07:01:24 AM
You can reproduce exactly the same situation using fused walls.
The only situation that you can't reproduce using fused walls is creating walls with different thickness in the perimeter.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:24:23 AM by Patricia G. »

* January 19, 2018, 09:50:43 AM
Maybe this image will explain better.
Notice where the gable end stops and the gap between the gable end and the truss.
When the gable end wall is full extent, there is no gap.

January 19, 2018, 10:38:33 AM
You can adjust the framing settings and elevation manually.