Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

How can I horizontally 'split' a wall in segments with different material or col
Read 413 times
* February 08, 2018, 11:37:45 AM
Hello,

I am designing a new home for myself in Indonesia, with a tropical design and warm yellow outside walls.
But I like to 'cover' the bottom 30-40 cm of those walls with neutral natural stone to make it less vulnerable for rain/mud spots.

During a previous project (long ago) I managed to split the walls. But I cannot find how I did that.
New attempts failed, for instance using a baseboard on the exterior.

The same split is needed in kitchens/bathroom walls with a lower tiled part, while the rest is painted.

Please tell me how to do it.

Thanks!
Greetings,
Wim
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:53:29 AM by WimYogya »

* February 08, 2018, 12:23:22 PM
Hi Wim,

This has been covered a number of times in the forum but what to Search for to find things is often a problem. In your case the key word is Wainscot. This allows you to set two textures on any wall.

The following link will take you to one of these previous posts that includes an image showing how to set it. You should be able to do what you want following these directions.

http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1028.0.html

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* February 09, 2018, 02:02:59 AM
Hello Allan,

I just modified my post - adding the necessity to 'split' the texture of kitchen and bathroom walls.
Must say the word 'wainscot' is a typical expert word. For certain most non-native English speakers will never have heard about it.
Better to replace it or add a more common synonym.
But you helped me out - again. Thanks.

Another post I wrote
cannot be found back. No time now for a separate post.
Maybe a quick qustion is permitted: how to add a typical 'church tower' roof on my planned water tower hiding the tank and well: 6m high, 2x2m?

Thanks again,
Wim

* February 09, 2018, 02:33:47 AM
Hi Wim.

Wainscott is well know in some English speaking areas and lot others. A lotnl of other building words have the same problems so I guess it is all a learning curve.

Re the Church roof. Not sure whether you are talking about round or square base but either way if you just want a high pointed roof just set the Pitch (angle of the roof) accordingly and it will do it for you.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* February 13, 2018, 02:56:21 AM
Hi Allan,

Got it done again, thanks to your help - and the link you wrote for another dumbo like me ;-)
Must honestly say: the way to do it is far from user-friendly. Too many clickclickclicks... Especially the trim from top/bottom is a real trap!

A few hurdles made the run extra complicated:
1. The outside walls of my new home are seen by TFP as INSIDE walls. My own mistake: when I made the initial layout of my terrain I used 'walls of 1 cm' to create a road, a rice irrigation canal, borders of my terrain. Even if these 'walls' are almost invisible, TPF treats them as walls - thus the outside walls of my home will be inside walls. - What other option would I have head initially, to determine the rough structure of the building site?
2. Because I had to add wainscots to interior walls, the question was: left or right interior. It always was a guess. What is left and what is right?
3. On long walls the wainscots I applied are interrupted where another interior room 'touches' the wall(s) I want to modify. How can I give these 'sides' of interior walls the same look?

As to the tower: I managed to get a small hip roof with 3 pending sides. But the front of the rectangular 2x2m tower remains flat. How to get the 'four sided church tower roof'?

Another question coming, in a new post.
Stop if you get bored... :-)

Thanks again!
Wim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:06:11 AM by WimYogya »