Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

Using arc to define a point
Read 490 times
* February 27, 2018, 12:05:32 PM
I have created a plot plan of my gardens using what I call 2-point arcs. That is, I set up two fixed points and using a tape measure determined the distance from each of these two points to various objects in my garden. By striking an arc on a scale drawing I was able to map my garden to important objects and then using the map I could place other object accurately. A few test points showed that I was within +-1" in real space.

How can I draw this map in TFP? the circle and arc functions are no help. I want to place the center on the fixed points and strike an arc of so many scale feet as the radius.
Nicholas Geti

February 27, 2018, 01:05:14 PM
Hi Nicholas,

You are not informing the title name and version number of your program.

Depending of your program, TFP includes several measuring tools that can help you with this issue, including the ProjecTape. With this tool you can set different points and determine the distances.
Of course, in order to determine distances, straight lines work better than curves.

Another option, if you have a scale drawing of your garden, you can import it to TFP and trace it.

Hope this helps.

* February 27, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Not sure what you mean by the name of my program. I am using TurboFloorPlan-Pro  version 19.0.7.1021
I know about straight lines. In my email I described how I am setting a point by drawing two arcs: one from each of two fixed points whose coordinates are known exactly and the radius of the arcs. From analytic geometry one should know that the intersection of these two arcs define exactly where the new point is.

Where do I find Projec Tape?

My scale drawing is on paper. Please tell me how to import it into FTP. All I have is defined points based on arcs. I want to use this information to draw the objects in FTP. I already have the data.

February 27, 2018, 08:20:38 PM
Not sure what you mean by the name of my program. I am using TurboFloorPlan-Pro  version 19.0.7.1021
This is what I was asking. This is the reason why I asked http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,3231.msg15856.html

I know about straight lines. In my email I described how I am setting a point by drawing two arcs: one from each of two fixed points whose coordinates are known exactly and the radius of the arcs. From analytic geometry one should know that the intersection of these two arcs define exactly where the new point is.
Arcs are very nice in the paper, however, hard to develop in real life building. For this reason, I always recommend that if you  wish to create a curved design, set the coordinates, tangents, dimensions and guidelines with straight lines.

Where do I find Projec Tape?
Last icon of the dims bar. As it's explained much better in the manual (page 78), it is kind of pointless to retype it here. Also, the manual is a PDF file, so it has an amazing feature called "Search"

My scale drawing is on paper. Please tell me how to import it into FTP. All I have is defined points based on arcs. I want to use this information to draw the objects in FTP. I already have the data.
You can use the Trace plan feature. You will find it in the page 276 of the user manual.

TFP, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components.
If you are interested, I have several training e-books, one of them is free. See links in my signature.