Register

TurboFloorPlan 2017 is Shipping!!!

exporting / converting .bld file to dwg format
Read 445 times
August 01, 2018, 06:35:00 AM
Using TFP ver 16 is it possible to export / convert a project to DWG format? The 'export' selection  offers DXF but not DWG.
I want to use this in the trial version of TFP v 17 before I commit to buying v 17 and I am told by v 17 support that a bld file can only be imported after exporting to DWG format.

* August 01, 2018, 08:47:35 AM
Sorry but V16 will not export to DWG. The original V16 program continues to exist under the name Personal Architect (www.personalarch.com ) and has been considerably developed of course.  It has a bigger brother ProArchitect and  also further up the scale again Envisioneer, both of which will open your existing V16 files and will export as DWG but these two versions are more into the professional construction drawing area and carry a much higher price tag.
Personal Architect however is still under $100 and is fully compatible with V16, so you could open and edit all your existing files and apply the many new features, such as VR walkarounds and 360 degree views.

If you still need DWG you could export as 2D DXF and use another program to convert it to DWG. I think TurboCad will do it but there are probably many others that will, some probably free.

Regards,
Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

August 02, 2018, 01:59:36 AM
Allan,
My thanks for your readiness to share your knowledge and experience to help us 'questors'. It really is great to have your help in this way.

Your opening sentence is no surprise to me. I had feared it was so. It seems that TFP v 17 is not for me so I was so glad to read of the Personal Architect software which I had not heard about but I shall certainly give it a look in view of your mention. I would only have needed to convert to DWG in order to import to TPF v 17 but I shall rule that out now.

How flexible is Personal Architect on the landscaping side? I am looking at a long narrow plot with a 10 degree slope. My building plan is on two levels; storey 1 for the entrance, garage, workshop and store with storey 2 being all the living accommodation, really a bungalow perched on top of, partly set back from and overlapping the garage etc.

I need to excavate to create two level areas into the slope and then mould the land around them giving both access to all levels and creating a pleasant and enjoyable environment. Does Personal Architect readily give that facility?

* August 02, 2018, 08:59:06 AM
The first version of Personal Architect was in effect TFP V16 , (both were made by Cadsoft) so its landscaping tools were the same. I am using Envisioneer, the older brother of V16 and PA so I am not sure personally what improvements have been made to the landscaping tools part of the program. However, what you are describing can be done in V16, so certainly can in be done in PA.

Applying the Slope across the whole site is dead easy and cutouts for the two levels are easy with the Pads tool but they will create vertical sides. To get graduated sides use the Plateau tool to build up the contours in small stages. This is the tool to get the effect you want. Imagine the contour lines at say 150mm in depth drawing them around the site in decreasing "circles" as the height increases to the high end of the site (and completely off the Terrain at the high end) and lines coming very close together on the steeply sloping areas. Play with it on a new project so you can see how it works. Envisioneer has the addition of a mesh grid where you can lower or raise each individual point on the grid but I don't think PA has inherited that yet.

If you use the Search for "Plateau" on the V16 forum, you should find some earlier 'tutorials' I did on using the Plateau tool.

If you need further information on this please feel free to email me directly using my address:   alches AT iinet DOT net DOT au

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional