Register

TurboFloorPlan 2019 is Shipping!!!

Unable to change materials in 3D
Read 1379 times
* August 15, 2018, 07:05:05 PM
As the file grew I noticed that I was having difficulty using the dropper for material information (if it gives anything - less and less each time - it is not anything remotely close to what is on the item). What's more frustrating is that I am not able to change any materials except in the 3D Custom Workshop. Of course, I cannot use the workshop for walls or cabinets, etc. The furnishings that I can access in the workshop take forever in the workshop because it does not change a group, only individual sections (or is there a way to change materials by group?).  The file size has been increasing.  Everything worked fine through 11MB+. The program started acting up at about 12-13MB (no change in what I how I was working, just additional items). Can the size of the file affect the program's performance to that extent? Other than customizing furnishings in the workshop, I have not done anything crazy.  I'd welcome any feedback, but please be kind. Thanks!

August 15, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
Hi there,

The program's behavior in 3D depends of the relation between the file's size and your system capabilities (processor, memory, video card, etc.).

For example, I have a very good desktop, so I was able to render a shopping mall with 500 Mb. But, if I try to render a Victorian house in my netbook, probably it will crash.

Tips:
If your system doesn't include good capabilities, the best option is the rational use of resources.
1 - Develop the constructive aspects of house first, (walls, roof, floors, doors, windows, etc.) and add the furniture at the end.
2 - Develop the topography with a low quality definition.
3 - To use fewer resources, use the Render Options: hide the unnecessary elements and reduce the quality. These options can be changed later.
4 - Working in Clear View mode increases the speed.
5 - If you are working in the interior of the house, deactivate the topography.
6 - If you are working in the exterior of the house, deactivate the interior furniture and interior lights.
7 - Use the Decorator Palette so can replace the materials / colors easily.

In the 3D workshop, you can change the materials by surface, by group, by matching colors, etc.

Hope this helps!  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:07:16 PM by Patricia G. »

* August 16, 2018, 01:44:24 PM
Patricia,

Thank you for your prompt feedback and all the tips. I will try to implement your suggestions immediately following this thank you reply. FYI, I'm due to upgrade from my current Windows laptop (8 GB RAM,  64-bit Operating System). Besides TFP, it's only used for simple tasks (Word documents, some photo editing and browsing). I hope that by following your suggestions I'll be able to use all the features again. I'll let you know. Also, I did try adding one material to grouped sections in 3D Workshop but only the single clicked section was affected; the rest of the group remained unchanged. What am I not doing right?

Thank you!
Ana

August 16, 2018, 02:15:23 PM
Hi Ana,

You're welcome!  :)
Regarding your questions:

FYI, I'm due to upgrade from my current Windows laptop (8 GB RAM,  64-bit Operating System).
If you plan to upgrade your computer, for TFP purposes I'd suggest that you consider a system with a good RAM memory size and a good video card (a not integrated model).

Also, I did try adding one material to grouped sections in 3D Workshop but only the single clicked section was affected; the rest of the group remained unchanged. What am I not doing right?
I'd suggest that you check if the different parts are grouped.

Hope this helps!

* August 16, 2018, 03:39:26 PM
Hi Patricia,

I'm looking at laptops (32GB RAM, instead of the 8 I now have). It should help, shouldn't it?

I figured out what I was missing in order to get grouped material changes in 3D Workshop...Yippee! One down...twenty to go.

Although navigating is faster following your suggestions, I am still having problems with material identification and application. It is not consistent. It seems to work with a few objects then it gets stuck on a material that is nowhere in the area (e.g., identifying a dark wood floor as the exterior wall stucco color or a white), I don't see a pattern, although there might be one. Is it possible that it has to do with the modifications I made on a number of objects in 3D Workshop? I first noticed a slight glitch when I modified a bed, using two of TFP's beds - cut and paste. Since then the problem appears to have worsened as I continued to modify objects. Are there guidelines for modifying 3D objects? I have deleted a few of the objects from the design, but they remain in my library. I have made a copy of the design, deleting everything except the kitchen cabinets and all is well. I enjoy customizing objects to obtain results closer to what I visualize and would not like to have to limit myself, especially since upon checking I noticed the size of the modified objects are not that different from the original (some are even smaller when I've deleted sections). In the meantime, I will delete some of my custom objects and see if the programs begins to act normal again. If you have other ideas, please share them. I might also create a new design, same file size, but using TFP library items exclusively, and compare behaviors. I want to know what I can or cannot do with this program.

Thank you again, and sorry for this lengthy post.

Ana

August 16, 2018, 05:09:02 PM
Hi Ana,

I'm looking at laptops (32GB RAM, instead of the 8 I now have). It should help, shouldn't it?
Probably, but also avoid onboard video cards => In my experience, onboard video cards and chipsets (almost all of them) have low performance for rendering purposes.

I figured out what I was missing in order to get grouped material changes in 3D Workshop...Yippee! One down...twenty to go.
Great!  ;D

Although navigating is faster following your suggestions, I am still having problems with material identification and application. It is not consistent. It seems to work with a few objects then it gets stuck on a material that is nowhere in the area (e.g., identifying a dark wood floor as the exterior wall stucco color or a white), I don't see a pattern, although there might be one. Is it possible that it has to do with the modifications I made on a number of objects in 3D Workshop? I first noticed a slight glitch when I modified a bed, using two of TFP's beds - cut and paste. Since then the problem appears to have worsened as I continued to modify objects. Are there guidelines for modifying 3D objects? I have deleted a few of the objects from the design, but they remain in my library. I have made a copy of the design, deleting everything except the kitchen cabinets and all is well. I enjoy customizing objects to obtain results closer to what I visualize and would not like to have to limit myself, especially since upon checking I noticed the size of the modified objects are not that different from the original (some are even smaller when I've deleted sections). In the meantime, I will delete some of my custom objects and see if the programs begins to act normal again. If you have other ideas, please share them. I might also create a new design, same file size, but using TFP library items exclusively, and compare behaviors. I want to know what I can or cannot do with this program.
As I stated previously, is the size of the file what will do a difference.
Keep in mind that if you imported 3DS or SKP objects, you will have a very big file because the number of polygons.

If you are interested, my eBooks include lots of information and tutorials about objects, textures, polygons, etc.See links below, in my signature.

Hope this helps!