Additional Catalogs

Started by rwkembel, October 01, 2007, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwkembel

It appears that when you buy the program on the DVD you get more catalogs than when you buy the downloadable version for the same price. Is there a way to download the additional catalogs as well???? I find the available selections, particularly for the furniture are considerably less inclusive than those in Floorplan 3D, version 11 and am looking for more selections.

Bob

dtaylor

You should get the extra content from the vendor that you purchased from.
I cannot post those links here for obvious reasons:) but can assure they are available for download, just not part of the program.exe download.

Ana

I've ordered the DVD, and it's on the way. In the meantime, I've downloaded and opened the additional catalogs. Tried opening them (e.g., furniture elements) with TFP to no avail. Tried importing the individual symbol but couldn't get to open the folder. Can someone tell me how to install the elements/catalogs? Thanks. ???

Sebastian

I've purchased and downloaded my version via Digital River, but I've no clue on how to download the additional catalogs. Any suggestions?

Sebastian

Ana

I made a phone call and I was sent an e-mail with the links to download the additional catalogs. Hope this helps. I'm still waiting for instructions on how to install them and see what's included.

Mike1158

Hi Dave,
If that is understanding catalogues I am out of luck.  There is reference to 'buttons' which clearly do not exist or are in locations not mentioned.  Please, please corrct this important piece of jargon riddled 'help'.

dtaylor

Mike can you be more specific which button your not finding?

Mike1158

Understanding catalogues, step 5 "The catalogue manager dialogue manager box will appear, click the 'expand button'".
No such button.  There appears to be a missing step between steps 4 and 5.
I would like to create a custom catalogue which would include the additional elements on the dvd/cd's of the boxed version but am unable to do so.  I have found the guide to be misleading and incomplete.
Would it be possible to get a concise version of this help file with step by step instructions and the apparently missing sections?

Mike1158

Jack Zimmer

Hi Mike,

I have two thoughts on Catalogs.

First one is that by using the Catalog manager you risk corrupting the Master Catalog. It is a dialog box with many settings, screw up a couple and you screw up your catalog. So if you are going to go in there, make a back up first.

Second one is that you can add anything you want to the existing right catalog without risking 'screwing things up' to much. So I suggest using it.

I have a couple of thoughts on items that you want to add:

First one is that as far as I know, there is no way to select a bunch of 3DS files or folders and have them automatically be added to the proper 'groups' and then be filtered into the sub groups. For example you have a bed and it should go in Bedroom furniture within the Interior Furniture Group (if you want it that way).

Second aspect of items to add is that they require sizing and materials. Maybe most are sized correctly , maybe some have materials but many items can be sized to mutiple sizes and have multiple material options. There is nothing more frustrating than having sized and added materials that you like in one job , only to find it 'as default' in the next job.

Based on these observations what I've been doing is adding what I need to the right catalog.

You can right click in the Group area and 'add group' naming it Mikes Imported files    or Mikes Beds   or Mikes Interior Symbols. This can be done generically in an option like Interior Accessories or specific like 'Furniture'.

You then go down below where the list of your symbols are located / Right Click and select 'Add Element' / then select 'Import Geometry from file'.  Locate the file you want to add, and if you want , size it and name it.

What I normally do now is add the particular object to the drawing area , this can be blank or a current project. I then go to 3D View and zoom in on the symbol. I check it for size and materials. Sometimes a do a quick render of it to see how it looks. 

Here is where the materials option come in handy. If I have a material in the program I like, I set the object to that material. But if I must import a material, I switch to Paint Brush mode and add the new material. I do this the same way I do the objects. I first create a new Group 'Mikes Materials' and then down below(right click)  select 'add material' , and here I use the 'use texture' option and navagate to the texture I have saved on my computer.

Now when the material is assigned to the new object I have one complete object , sized / assigned materials and named all added to my custom Group for quick future access.

There is one other command that comes in very handy. It is 'Save Element to Catalog' located in File / Catalogs.

Let me give you an example. I needed a black microwave that fit above a stove. Well they are not in the catalog. So what I did is size the base micro from the program to fit in width pulling the dimensions from Best Buys available microwaves. I then did a Google search for 'black microwaves' and hit the Image option. I found one micro wave company that had a black one and also had a front view of it's unit. I saved the image as a jpg to my computer. I opened it in my photo editor and cropped out some white edging and saved this back to my computer materials files list.

Now I clicked on the microwave that I had resized, in materials I selected the 'front' material option and then reassiged my new 'black microwave image' to it. I had to resize the image in TFPlan and had to move it up / dwn / left / right to get it perfectly aligned.

Then I renamed it 'Micro Jks Black 1'.

Then I used the Save Element to Catalog command, clicked on the micro , said yes when asked if I was sure and I now have it for use for other projects without disturbing what was there as default. I did the same with the white ovens from the program.

I guess what I'm saying is that just adding a symbol isn't enough. You must consider it's size / materials / name and location and ease of access.

I find using the right catalog and the save element option to be more forgiving / just as quick and allows me to actually look at my results before I move on to the next file.

Example of Micro and Oven attached.

Z

ps I noticed I didn't have the oven door aligned correctly. I went back to the material and used the arrows to move it left and get it aligned. I then used the 'save element' option and it said I already had a file named the same , do I want to save a copy of it. I said yes and the program added a (1) after the name. I can now go back and delete the original or covert it to a 'gas' range top and have it as black gas range'.

Mike1158

Thanks Jack.  I sincerely hope that the instructions are clarified via official sources soon.

Doug.S

I'm using the trial version TFP12pro.

I ordered and received the "paid for" version TFP12pro DVD today and explored the "extras" which include more catalogs.

I copied those new catalogs to the trial installed location for catalogs.

I started TFP and made a simple house and wanted to try some of the new items in the extras catalogs...so did menu/file/catalogs/open catalog  and selected a catalog just installed and got the attached warning box.

This makes no sense? How could the FP.bld file be from an earlier version...I just generated the .bld file. All the files are TFP12.0  How could I have a version problem?
Alternatively if its talking about the .db file...its for TFP12; why would I have to convert it?

And, what is the best choice to make from the list?  I'm not screwing up a catalog just to try it out. Need help here.

Is this just because of trial version?  Or can I expect similar problem when I uninstall the trial and install the paid version?
My trial TFP version is 12.00.C1.551   Is the paid for version different?

Doug.S

Doug.S

Had to give it a try and took the safest approach....make a copy (be sure to give it a new name or it will simply overwrite the old one anyway)   and it opens and works.

I did them all (now have used lots of disk space with dups) and they all work ....some good and many are just simple changes.

Oddly tho most have the object far off center from the "drag to move" dot....and the "bulb" of one light I tried was a few feet from the shade so lighting was very odd.

But nice to have some added objects.

Doug.S

Kajvin - Robert W

Quote from: Sebastian on October 04, 2007, 02:35:07 AM
I've purchased and downloaded my version via Digital River, but I've no clue on how to download the additional catalogs. Any suggestions?

Sebastian

I also purchased and downloaded my version via Digital River, today  I follow Ana sugestion  ;D and phone to IMSI/Design
800-833-8082 and I got a link by mail, 233 Mb exe-file.

To merge the new catalogs to master copy

1 Make a copy of master catalog!!!!
2 Open Catalog manager whit the copy of master catalog .
3 Click File
4 Click Merge whit Catalog then open the catalog you have chosen. (I have highlite whit yellow the merge area ther you catalog open)
5 Click on Elements and chose for thi exampel Appliances and now you will get this; look at catalog_manager_elements.jpg
6 Now you can chose to import all or specific item. If you chose to import item make shure that you have rigth Grupes.
7. You also have to merg the materials to you master copy. Click on Libraries and choce Materials.
It will look as image catalog_manager_libraries.jpg.
8. If you will import all material make chure that the filter is on all materials. Other vice it is the same as import item
9 Then you done, close the catalog you have open in period 4 do step 3 and 4 but use close.
10 Then click File and then Save Catalog and you ar done.
11 Close the Catalog Manager.

/Robert
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden