Register

TurboFloorPlan 2019 is Shipping!!!

V14 - What's New, What's Changed and What Hasn't
Read 14856 times
* March 29, 2009, 09:31:33 AM
Allan,

Thanks for the reply. Elevations in v12 is where TFP v12 made it hit. When I took the printed proposal in and put it along side photos that I had taken of the building, the original section on the plan print was almost as life like as the photo's

Have the section view been improved? In v12 they didn't really produce anything more than a basic lines and lacked detail.

John

* March 29, 2009, 02:34:38 PM

I had an informal chat with the local planning officer with my proposals produced in TFP. This was mainly to get an idea if they would have any real objections. He was very impressed by the 3D views and indicated that they would accept the floor plans but needed better detailed section views. (So close but so far!!!)

I did purchase TurboCAD 6 weeks ago with the intension of using it to do the last bit. But because of a major software programming project thrown at me by work I'm currently struggling for time to learn TurboCad. (Also I'll end up putting function from the software that I'm learning into the software I'm writing. Don't think they will be happy with Cad drawing function in a customer service application! :o )

In the UK anyway, there is no official standard for working drawings.  For Planning purposes the requirements are minimal and generally relate to scale.

Turbocad is difficult to learn.  I put a lot of time and effort into it and got nowhere.

I would say that I find the 2D drawings of windows in TFP bizarre and the colours irrelevant.  I cant understand why they do not conform to normal practice, they are the same in Envisioneer.

You can use the worksheets and achieve what you want.  For UK Planning purposes, before and after floorplans and elevations and a plan of the plot and a short document are all that is needed - you can get the details off the Planning Portal.

I have never had plans outright rejected for either planning consent or building regs although I have been asked for changes/improvements.  In fact for building regs, the plans are even less of an issue and if you use the Building Notice system you dont need any at all (although you need to know what you are doing...).

Regards

Peter

* March 30, 2009, 02:10:42 AM
Peter,

Thanks for the information. I have started a new topic

John

* April 05, 2009, 05:54:01 PM
I'm still undecided about updating to ver 14.

I'm not in any great need of printing construction views, and economics in Mich. has reduced near everything to no new construction nor any remodels.

With "issues/bugs" seemingly the same as v12, guess I should wait until a 'render bug' fix is released and I know it works OK (better than v12).

Any other reasons I should upgrade to 14?

* April 05, 2009, 09:03:21 PM
Hi Doug,

Difficult decision if your main interest is in rendering, as nothing has changed there that I can see, same issues, same workarounds.

Probably the most usefull addition is the right click option of "Select All Similar". Allows you to select all walls (that are similar) and edit them all at once.
The Surfaces tool is handy for making sloping floors such as wheelchair access ramps.  Theoretically it is supposed to allow you to also put other slope sections into a roof or ceiling, with an Intersect tool to 'join' them but mine, and presumably everyone else's, is locked to the ground level so useless except for floors.  The roof can now be exploded into sections.

There are 2 solar panels for the roof but no solar hot water system with external tank attached (such as we have everywhere in Australia).

The 'automatic' quoining and shutters tools may be of interest and a few new accessories of various sorts.

There is a area calculator that will just drop the name of the room and its area into the centre of the room, (also perimeter and volume - ideal for aircon calculations), but if printing is not your big thing, then that will be of little interest, as will the Worksheets view.

Backward steps, from my point of view, have been made in the interface - the tool icons are far too big and because the Help toolbar cannot be converted from a Tab to Normal, you are stuck with a tab view taking up even more space. I know you use dual screens, so the loss of screen space that has occurred may not worry you but it is certainly significant on a laptop. The Tree style for selecting elements also means you cannot 'page' through them to see what they look like, you have to click on each individually. The little animated tutorials in help are nice for new ones but of little use to you.  The Help Search/Index options in the Help are not there 99% of the time so help is very frustrating.

In summary: Some of the new tools and accessories may be of use and some of the additional right click options make things quicker, but in rendering nothing appears to have changed.

Allan

Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

* April 07, 2009, 04:55:54 PM
"Backward steps, from my point of view, have been made in the interface - the tool icons are far too big and because the Help toolbar cannot be converted from a Tab to Normal, you are stuck with a tab view taking up even more space."

Thanks for your info.

Ouch! With dual screens I use "normal" (at least not tab) for everything which allows me to drag and place every tool icons bars....and I keep them all on my second monitor....and they return there nicely for every restart of the program...all tabs seems useless for dual screens.

Guess I'll still wait to see if things get better with another update.

* April 07, 2009, 08:15:22 PM
Hi Doug,

I may have mislead you slightly on the tabbed toolbar.  It is only the Help that cant be set to Normal the others can, so you could still probably use them on separate sceens without any problem.  However because the Help cant be turned off or made 'Normal', you have at least one tab which takes up the space.  On a single screen the Normal toobars have to sit under this taking up more screen again and because the icons are so big they will not all sit end two and so you end up with two rows of normal toobars, navigation bars and the 'double row' tabbed Help one.  With 5 rows of toobars plus the menu bar the screen is half gone - well, that is a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean. I get around it on the laptop by having the lesser used ones as tabbed so they sit with the Help and navigation underneath as Normal and the building one vertical alongside the Elements pallet. Big complaints about it on the Envisioneer forum too as you may have noticed.

With a two screen setup however it would not be so much of a problem except for the Help toolar sitting as a tab.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

April 23, 2009, 01:57:43 PM
I can set my Help to Normal so I have all tools on the second screen and a big working area.
But what i wounder abut is what is Punch-format and can it import skp-files from  Sketch Up 7
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 02:01:59 PM by robban »

Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden

* April 23, 2009, 06:33:09 PM
Hi Robert,

Now if I had been intelligent enough to scroll down I would have seen the Help toolbar was listed and hence changeable. Will have to go back now and correct my earlier comments!

I cant help with the Punch question, I suspect it is a plug-in to Punch but have seen on where to get it from.

I have not had any problems importing SKP but not sure if I have tried V7 ones, I know V6 are OK.

Allan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:50:55 PM by Allan Chesney »

Allan Chesney,

April 25, 2009, 11:27:48 AM
Ther some diffrents from V14 build 624 and V15 build 637
This are:
Only Import / Export: DXF 2D and 3D, 3DS, SKP ( Real good on SKP 7)
Convert PXF no export only import her is a link to Punch http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm

No worksheets (Bad thing) View Manager, only what you seen on the screen. Somebody had a hangover on

Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:

* April 25, 2009, 10:46:48 PM
Hi Robert,

I have both the V14 624 and 637 builds running and I was not able to find any differences between them in the Import / Export area.  All seem to be the sames as far as I can see. 

Convert PXF seems the same too.  There is little about this plug-in anywhere.  Nothing on Google, and site seaches on IMSI Design, Punch or Envisioneer (Cadsoft) brought just one line comments that it can do it.  Envisioneer said the most: "When you want to turn these drawings (Punch) into serious construction models and documents, you can use our free Punch Powertools plug-in which allows you to export a .PXF file and open it."  Obviously there is a Plug-in somewhere but no one sees to know where.

Yes the Worksheets are gone between these two builds.  I know it is a shame, but they should not have been there in the first place. V14 was delivered from CADSoft to IMSI Design with an Envisioneer 5 default template (or something like that) instead of the TFP one.  This in effect added this functionality but also caused instability too on most machines. Since it is a function of the top-end Envisioneer 5 program (at 15-20 times the price) it obviously could not be left there.  They are now looking for other ways to improve the printing functions in TFP without encroaching on the parent program's domain.

Allan

Allan Chesney,

April 26, 2009, 06:28:40 AM
If you with help of  View Manager and 3d Quick View and print as PDF you can combin in Adobe Acrobat to one document as in the example below.
Long from a worksheets but a good hint how all will look like.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:30:23 AM by robban »

Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:

* April 26, 2009, 08:35:00 PM
Hi Robert,

Yes this would certainly work but as you say it is a long way from the way that Worksheets did it.

I personally do not have a need to print plans, elevations etc. but I know many do want to do this and I have worked out a way that is very similar to Worksheets and almost as good. You can still add text, dimensions etc and other drawing elements if necessary to the final drawings and you could make it look exactly like a plan to go to a builder/council and may even be suitable for that purpose. It works almost exactly the same as Worksheet and it is all done in TFP, no need to use other programs.

As soon as I can make the time, I will put together a tutorial on how to do it, as it really needs some screen images to explain it simply and I will put it in the Tips and Tricks section when I get it done. EDIT:  Here is the link: http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,877.0.html.

Allan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:17:52 PM by Allan Chesney »

Allan Chesney,

* May 02, 2009, 07:07:07 AM
Tho I do not need to deliver prints for submitting to permits etc. I do need to convey design info on electrical wiring (wall sockets, switches etc.), plumbing, and HVAC....so I use Visio for all my 2D drawings.

But I'd be interested in how you can do annotated printing directly in TFP...looking forward to your tut.

* November 18, 2009, 06:58:08 PM
               Hi Guys.,

I  am just looking around and I saw that this discussion is really interesting .,I wonder if can gather some details about my project . Especially in 2D drawings.,