FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: coltil on November 24, 2009, 01:39:21 AM

Title: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 24, 2009, 01:39:21 AM
If I draw an external 240mm veneer wall the width of the wall on the screen appears to be the same as say a 90mm stud wall. I am assuming that the 240mm veneer wall is an external brick wall, gap, plaster board on timber frame. I would have expected it to be drawn at 240mm width. Can anyone assist me with this. Thanks, Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 26, 2009, 09:06:28 AM
Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum.

I will answer this question first since you asked it first although your other questions are related.

The wall only becomes the 240mm thickness if you create an enclosed space (eg 4 joined walls). TFP will then add the veneer as the exterior surface. Use the same wall inside the exterior walls and it will drop the veneer so it just becomes a stud wall.

The 4 walls must join for it to add the veneer and the wall will then be 240mm thick.

We have requested this this be changed in a later version, so that the width of the Exterior veneer, interior stud wall and cavity can be individually set, which would save the confusion for new users.

Allan

Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 26, 2009, 11:04:13 PM
Hi Allan,
Many thanks for your replies.
Still no luck with these walls. I cannot get the 240mm brick veneer exterior wall to show at 240mm.
I have included a small diagram with some walls. This was drawn using the 240mm brick veneer external wall
for all of the walls. All the walls show at the same thickness on 2d plan view.
Well I was going to attach image but are can't even seem to do that.

Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 26, 2009, 11:21:23 PM
Hi Colin,

Looks odd.  Can you please attach the BLD file for this one (or a similar one if you have deleted it)?
Just wondering if the veneer colour is set to white so not showing up. 

Does it have Exterior brick in 3D view?

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 26, 2009, 11:47:34 PM
Hi Allan,

Have attached BLD file.
3D overview shows exterior brick.
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 27, 2009, 12:15:27 AM
Hi Colin,

Sorry I can't explain it.  

I have attached another BIM - try these. The one called "51mm x 102mm Clay Brick Veneer" has the 'drop face' to cover the slab or floor, the other doesn't. These should give the veneer layout in the plan, although if you are using Solid Fill it defeats the purpose somewhat.  You may as well just change the other one to 240mm wide as the veneer only affects the plan view.

Let me know how you get on with these ones.

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 27, 2009, 12:46:35 AM
Hi Allan,

Imported BrickVeneerWalls.bim into TFP.
In Walls 'tree'  RBC Walls>Brick Veneer>51mmx102mm Clay brick.
Select icon in toolbar to draw wall, select either wall under Brick Veneer and the draw icon in workspace disappears so unable to draw wall and select/edit comes on in toolbar.
Think I will give up for today. Think tomorrow I will uninstall TFP and then reinstall and see if that helps.

Many thanks for all your help today Allan.

Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 27, 2009, 01:45:21 AM
Colin,

Before you uninstall and reinstall they turning off Hardware Acceleration.  (Settings/Programme Settings/ Graphics) It may be a graphics card display issue.

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 27, 2009, 03:50:45 AM
Hi Allan,

Tried turning off graphics acceleration but things remained same.
Perhaps you could provide similar BLD to one I attached and I will see what happens if I open it on my computer.

Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 27, 2009, 04:38:54 AM
Hi Colin,

Good idea.  I am not at home just now - will post one as soon as I am home in an hour or so.

LATER:  OK so I am home now - your original file is attached along with the two Veneer walls.
If they show up properly then try importing them to your catalogue.  Go to File/ Catalogues/ Save Element to Catalogue and click on the wall.  It sholuld add it to the catalogue - don't forget to save it when you close.

Let me know if that works.

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 27, 2009, 10:09:46 PM
Hi Allan,

Seem may have some progress with these brick veneer walls.
Opened up your Veneer Test.bld and your walls displayed showing brick and frame wall.
I then imported your walls into my catalogue and I could now draw walls and they displayed as yours did.

Checking wall measurements the total thickness of your walls is 495mm.
Is this the same thickness as drawn on your system?
I would have expected total thickness of say 230mm.

All seems very strange but I am still persevering.

Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 28, 2009, 05:43:11 AM
Hi Colin,

Very strange. In my program it is exactly 230 and 240 respectively. Was that measurement in my file or after you imported it? Can you reset it in Properties?

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 28, 2009, 06:54:22 PM
Hi Allan,

Opened Veneer Test.bld and imported to catalogue before I thought to check measurements.
Selected a wall, external and internal measurements shown, external minus internal gave 495mm.
In wall properties appears can only change core and framing member.
Set core from 89mm to 5mm, external minus internal gave 327 wall thickness.
Them changed frome member to 20 x 20 timber, core at 5mm, thickness remained at 327mm.
Can I remove your walls from catalogue and then open your veneer test.bld walls so that I can check measurements without your walls in catalogue?
Something is certainly strange if your system shows correct measurement. Are you using same version as I am?

Colin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 29, 2009, 12:12:43 AM
Hi Colin,

Yes I am using the same version (build 622).  I assume you are using the Pro version not Deluxe?

Yes you can delete them, Select and Delete or right click delete, although you do not need to do that to open mine again - it will not use the imported one. 

When you zoom in close do you see the wall elements as in my earlier image? (Veneer, Core, Framing, Gyprock) If you zoom in you can use the Tape Measure to measure it. It is on one of the toolbars but you will find it under Tools/ Measure also. The measurement shows up in the Commander bar or at the bottom of the screen.

In the current version the Core is the only setting you can change and the framing does not affect this setting. If there is no veneeer, then the Core is the total wall thickness.  There is an official request in to allow these wall components to be individually set in a future version, so hopefully that will happen.

I am clutching at straws here but can you post an image of your Units of Measure settings?  and   What are the external widths of the two 'rooms' in my file - are they 14469mm and 10022mm?  Just wondering if other dimensions are affected or just the wall thickness.

Allan

Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: jmartin on November 29, 2009, 01:23:25 PM
hi Colin & Allan

following the matter you are on, I just made an exercise drawing a converted wall with a dramatized framing, and have found it could work, due to that it is a simple way to obtain a fully editable wall.

I went to tools - layout - line, draw lines vertical and horizontal, converted them to 4 " brick framed wall, and edit them, unlocking 2D frame view, and  then adjoining them by dragging to match in desired point, and there is a fully editable wall.

another point: download and install TFP PRO v.14 '637-662 patch'; could be useful.

file attached.

regards

jmartin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: jmartin on November 29, 2009, 02:18:32 PM
hi again

another way to simply making show up a "framed" wall in floorplans...

see attachments.

jmartin
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 30, 2009, 12:35:47 AM
Hi,

This seems to be an odd problem that Colin has, because when he uses a standard Brick Veneer wall it does not add the veneer.  When he uses the one I posted it does, but it is about twice the thickness of my original and only the core can be edited. Setting the core to microscopic still leaves the wall thicker than the original. Even when using the Layout tools to convert to walls, it still only the leaves the core editable, not the total width of the wall once the veneer is added, so it may not help. It would be interesting to see however whether it did make the wall the right thickness. Since it is converting to the same wall it may not. From another post he already has 662.

The second option is an interesting one too and as long as they are only used for the perimeter of the building they give the appearance of a Brick Veneer wall on the plan (for me anyway) but unfortunately it is still not editable - only the core. It is still not possible to set the total thickness of the wall which is Colin's problem (and the fact that it is twice the thickness!)  That does not make any sense to me.

Anyway it will be interesting to see if Colin's wall comes out the right thickenss doing it either of these ways.   

Let us know Colin if these ideas solve the problem.

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: coltil on November 30, 2009, 01:45:34 AM
Hi Allan and Jmartin,

Well, if I had another brain it would be lonely.

Allan, replying in regard to your Veneer Test.BLD.
I am using TFP Pro version.
If I zoom in on bothe wall types can see veneer, core, framing, gyprock.
51 x 102 Clay Brick diagram. Long Wall - External 14659, Internal 14164, 14659 minus 14164 give 496.
Now the faulty brain bit. Now I should have divided 496 by 2 and what would I have got - 248mm.
Now if I zoom in and measure thickness of both walls; 51 x 102 Clay Brick is 248mm, 75 Steel Frame is 248 mm.
Talk about can't see the forest for the trees.
When I use the walls you posted which I imported into catalogue and use these to draw walls I get the same thickness as yours.
External wall measurements of your Veneer Test are; 51 x 102 clay brick-14659 and 7112; 75 steel frame-10022 and 9527.
Whilst it would appear that I do not get the same wall thickness as you do I can at least draw a wall that shows as expected.
My units of measurement settings are set the same as shown in your attached jpg.

Is my face red or what.

Colin

Colin

Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: Allan Chesney on November 30, 2009, 02:49:55 AM
That makes two of us Colin!  I should have realised when you said how you had measured it. I even mentioned the tape measure without registering why you were getting the double figure.

Allan
Title: Re: Generic walls - AU/NZ
Post by: jmartin on November 30, 2009, 12:18:04 PM
hi

I found an overlapping between slabs and automatic floors inserted in Colin's first .bld.

attached there is a .bld 'repaired'  to test it. I wonder if this could have been part of the problem, since somehow affecting wall properties?

jmartin