FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => Feature Requests => Topic started by: gav on May 17, 2010, 09:57:25 PM

Title: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 17, 2010, 09:57:25 PM
Hello,
I am upgrading my PC and need to know some imfo on requirements.

Seems all new laptops are running OS windows 7 . 32 & 64

I am still running V12.01 and are a bit wary that all my files will be lost.
Getting imformation from IMSI is like extracting a tooth so any help would be appreciated.

*Question 1. will Windows 7 run TurboFLOORPLAN V12.01 ???
*Question 2. will V15 open the files created in V12.01
*Question 3. is there any major improvements in the software worthy of a RE purchase ( Just patching products would have been a nice option as it doesn't seem that significant improvements have been made)  :'(
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 17, 2010, 10:52:45 PM
Hi Gav,

You should not have any problems running V12 on Windows 7. V15 installed without a hitch for me (just opened the exe file as Administrator). It will work on 64 bit PC but runs as 32 bit.

V15 will open V12 files but will convert them - you are give n the option to Convert or Convert a Copy. The latter is wise of course.

You can operate both version on the PC but not at the same time. V12 would still be available but to be honest I have never returned to an earlier version as there was never a need to do so as everthing was fine in the latest one.

There are no mind blowing advances from V12 to V15, but several new tools and many improvements to functionality that make it work it to me. The roof functionality in V15 only shows as a couple of extra right click option but the effects are dramatic time saving changes. Of course the usefullness of some of these changes will depend on why you use the program and how much you use it.  Since you have a previous version (although not V14) you may qualify for the almost 33% discount. There is a free trial, so the best way is to try that and see whether it is worth the change over.

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 18, 2010, 01:40:03 AM
Cheers Allan,

I will DL the V15 trial.

I only really use it for plans which the V12 is fine now i have got a good template happening. Occasionally I'll throw out a 3D image for a client but due to the PC sytem constraints this can be a chore and can only do basic renders. Hence the upgrade.

Thanks again
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 18, 2010, 02:04:20 AM
Hi Gav,

If you are using it for plans then you may find V15 is better in that it will now do Door, Window and Room Schedules, easily insert room dimensions and it allows you to save print settings and do batch printing. Both V14 and V15 seem to render quicker than V12.

If you have not already seen it you may find this post, and the PDF specifically, useful too - http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,877.0.html (http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,877.0.html).

Re the download - I suspect the one currently available from the email you get is V14 as the date is a year old.  Leave it a day or so and check again or you may not end up with V15.  I believe they are in the prosess of trying to fix it at the moment.

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 18, 2010, 05:16:13 PM
I managed to get V15 as the DL straight away. There seems to be a few added features that with adjustment could be usefull. It will open all my saved work but Cannot print them correctly :'( , which is pretty well a No Go for the change in versions.

I read the link you attached. I dont use a third party program to create elevations just export and import to new page. I do all my work @ A3 size for print purposes. I then use the "Building locations" feature to mark up.

These are almost complete and print out on A3 fine
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 19, 2010, 01:15:00 AM
Hi Gav,

Your plans look great!! Illustrates what TFP can do with a little bit of thinking "outside the box".

Printing from V15 should not be any different really as the only thing changed is the ability to remember the print settings. If you have the settings the same as they are in V12 then it should work the same.

What happens when you try to print?

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: johnregi on May 19, 2010, 03:18:48 AM
hi, gav,
Did you DL V15 from the link they sent to you, I am still not able to reach a link for V15. All the links  are directing me towards V14
johnregi
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 19, 2010, 05:36:56 AM
Quote from: Allan Chesney on May 19, 2010, 01:15:00 AM


What happens when you try to print?

Allan

The scale of the imported drawings is corrupted some how. They fit width wise but want to print 10 pages deep. This doesnt happen with a new V15 project.

There is a slight differance to get A3 to work with V15 I needed to reduce the terrain from 28220 x 41000mm to 28100 x 40800 to fit.

Im going to go for the Windows 7 pro as it will run a virtual XP, then I'm covered I hope. I sure need to upgrade as the basic render as the one attached takes 20 minutes which is way 2 long.Especially so basic.


BTW .  http://downloads.imsidesign.com/dl/Turbofloorplan3D_Home_Landscape_PRO_Setup_15.exe

is where i got V15 but I had to register for serial etc.
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 19, 2010, 09:58:43 AM
Hi Gav,

I can't say I have had any issues with opening V14 in V15 but haven't tried a V12 one and rarely print plans anyway so would not have come across anything odd - yet.

A agree that 20 min seems a long time for a Basic render, unless it VERY complex inside. I could understand it for Advanced maybe, although my models are very complex at times and don't take that long.  As part of the beta testing of V15, I installed it on my wife's Win7 (Home Premium) laptop and was very impressed with the effortless installation and speed with which it worked. The laptop is nothing special in itself, and I don't think it even has separate video card memory but I had no problems moving around rapidly and rendering quickly, so if you are going for a better version it should be even better.

I think the V15 download issue is the one that comes to existing V14 users by email, to obtain a discount on V15.  It is still showing the V14 file from 12 months ago.  The link you have posted goes to the correct one. Should be fixed soon I hope!

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 20, 2010, 05:05:06 PM
I got the newlaptop have installed V12 plus the patch but now I get wireframe 3D veiw instead of solids, none of the filters change it so this may take a bit of adjusting I'd say.
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 20, 2010, 08:32:48 PM
Hi Gav,

The wireframe situation sounds like a display issue and you may find just turning off Hardware Acceleration (Settings/ Programme Settings/ Graphics) will get you by but it makes moving around a bit slower so not an ideal fix.  The problem may be related to the graphics card / driver in the laptop. I am not much good at the computer side of things but this lengthy post may help as a lot of others contributed - http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,722.0.html (http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,722.0.html) .

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Draft Patrick on May 21, 2010, 09:06:15 AM
Hi Gav,

Wireframe as a videocard issue?.... it is odd  ???

First check the display option--> View--> Display mode--> verify if wireframe is selected--> if so, change to the desired option

If the above solution doesn't work, can you post a screenshot of the rendered image?

Pat
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 21, 2010, 10:47:08 AM
Hi Pat,

There have been several with this 'wireframe' issue and it is not fixed by choosing Rendered or Rendered Outline etc - it is also not the normal wireframe either - it looks different as you can see by the images in the earlier linked post. In these other cases, turning off Hardware Acceleration solved the problem. Whether that translates to being a video card issue I don't know. The post I referred to earlier http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,722.0.html  (http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,722.0.html)  is very long so I did not read it all, but there was a lot of discussion about video cards following the initial HA solution.

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Draft Patrick on May 21, 2010, 11:16:37 AM
Hi Allan,

yes, and this is why I asked for the image, in order to make a differential diagnostic.
We need to define if we are talking about
--> 1 - A polygonal view --> as the image in the post you linked, we see all the construction polygons --> this option, I'd consider as a transparent view, therefore it is a videocard issue
--> 2 - A wireframe view --> in this case, we see the frame (outside lines)--> this is a setting issue

Pat
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 23, 2010, 10:38:06 PM
I cant work out why but after setting then resteting all settings it sems to have gone away, the wireframe thing. Im using the V15 demo at the moment which just wont set internal dimms ATM.  :(
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: Allan Chesney on May 24, 2010, 05:58:03 AM
Hi Gav,

Quote from: gav on May 23, 2010, 10:38:06 PM
after setting then resteting all settings

Just wondered in the "setting/resetting" if you left Hardware Acceleration on or off? (Graphics tab)
Over many, many years, I have see this cause all manner of odd, apparently unrelated, effects. If anything odd happens it is the first thing I try, or recommend others try and often it solves the problem.

Allan
Title: Re: Upgrade
Post by: gav on May 25, 2010, 08:16:19 PM
will take a look cheers