FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: kiwidude on August 18, 2010, 08:59:20 PM

Title: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: kiwidude on August 18, 2010, 08:59:20 PM
I've done a search in the catalog, but there are no pergolas. All sorts of other things, like arbors and trellises, but no pergolas.

What would be the quickest way of making one?

Peter
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: Allan Chesney on August 19, 2010, 02:58:29 AM
Hi,

Many things go by different names in different countries. In Australia a pergola is basically 4 posts with timbers across the top. I am guessing you are from New Zealand so I suspect that would be the same there.

Serveral ways but here are two:

Use a Roof:

1.  Create a new location (called Pergola)

2.  Insert 4 pillars

3.  Insert a roof (by Picking Points) sloping one way (change 3 sides to Gable and slope of 1 degree or more on the other.

4.  Use the View filter to turn Framing on and Surfaces off - on the Pergola location only.

The above is easy but least control of timbers.


Use Members:

1.  Insert 4 pillars.

2.  Use the Line tool in the Layout toolbar to draw a line to represent the end timber.

3.  Right click the line and select Array.

4.  Enter the number of timbers you want and the distance apart (see image)

5.  Select all lines, Right click and choose Converet to Members

6.  Choose the timbers you want.

7.  Select all and Right Click - Elevate to the height of the pillars.

8.  Repeat the process if you have any timbers going the other way.

I hope this is not too brief - ask again if it is.

Allan
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: kiwidude on August 22, 2010, 07:25:31 PM
Thanks again, Allan.

I ended up using members. You're right, you definitively have more control that way.

I really appreciate your help.  :)

Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: JohnZ on April 22, 2013, 08:49:38 PM
Hello all, I'm posting in this old thread first, if no reply I'll start a new topic. I've been studying the method(s) suggested by Allan Chesney to create a pergola, and I have an additional question: Most pergolas these days have decorative "scroll cuts" on the ends of the beams rather than just a straight cut. Can anyone share their thoughts on how to make a beam with a decorative cut on the end? For some reason I seem to have a mental block on this! Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 23, 2013, 12:33:14 AM
Hi John,

A question in an old thread brings it back to the top so no question that it will be seen!  ;)

Adding decorative ends to a pergola is certainly possible but it has to be done manually. You should find a couple in Interior Accessories /Decorative but you will have to size, position and elevate them to the right height. If the style of them is not suitable, you can create your own shape by cutting out a piece of floor to the shape you want, export it as a 3DS file and import it again. This will add it into the catalogue for future use.

For a full explanation on how to do this see the PDF in this post: http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1130.0.html.

Allan
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: JohnZ on April 23, 2013, 08:09:03 PM
Allan, thank you so much! I will give this a try...
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: Doug.S on April 26, 2013, 04:43:39 PM
I made a couple pergolas and made a rafter type beam with curved cut-off end.

See rendered image below

Attached is a .3ds rafter/beam you can use, just apply color/texture as desired. Can be re-sized and oriented as needed.

I inserted one, then made an array to get a series of evenly spaced items.

Doug.S
Title: Re: No pergolas in catalog??
Post by: Kajvin - Robert W on May 03, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
Hi Peter! I found this Grape Arbor look like a pergolas.
Robert