I am trying to project a beam across an alfresco pergola area and need the roof to follow the line of the wall and the beam with no kinks in it.
I have drawn the beam as a wall and then put an opening in it so that it looks like a beam, but TFP treats it like a wall and draws the roof over the alfresco area in alignment with the house wall.
The problem is that I would like the beam to be indented into the end wall slightly and not follow the exact wall alignment.
If I do this the roof kinks
See attached diagram
Any suggestions?
All you should have to do is draw the roof "by Picking Points" (arrow on right og roof icon). This way you can draw the roof any shape.
Also you do not have to use walls to make the beams. try using the Layout Toolbar, draw straight lines where you want the beams. Right click and Convert To Members. You can then choose any beam you want or design your own. Once convrerted you just right click and elevate them to the height you want.
Allan
Thanks Allan
I didn't know about the layout-convert to members tools
I have tried picking points for roofs, but I end up with wiggly roof if I don't pick the exact points of corners,
It is also slower than doing it automatically.
Also, the roof does not recognise the beams that you described, that's why I currently draw a wall and then insert an opening the same length as the wall so that it looks like a beam and the roof picks up the points automatically
As you said the roof will not pick up the beams as walls so you cannot auto insert the roof to cover them. That is the reason however for the 'Roof by Picking Points', so you can extend a roof over some area, e.g. a recesssed window where the roof line does not change, or over a patio supported only by post and beam. If you have AngleSnap or Ortho activated on the Status Bar you should not get wiggly lines. Ortho (F8) will be only right angles, or AngleSnap (F6) will be right angles or whatever you set the angle to be in Settings/Programme Settings/Drawing Aids.
You can also do 'Roof By Perimeter' and then add the extra bit of roof by Picking Points - they will blend into each other automaticaly.
Allan
Allan
I tried your last suggestion,but ended up with the pergola roof being separately pitched as shown on the attachment.
Brian
I'm guessing that you have two separate roofs....but what you want is one continuous roof outline.
To get there, delete the one rectangular roof.
On the other roof, "break" (see help file) the roof outline to extend it as needed to cover the rectangular area where the other roof was located....adjust the roof lines/points as needed to get the perimeter just where you want it.....and the roof pitch should look like you want it....automatically.
Thanks Doug
That worked well, in combination with Allan's suggestions re beams, elevate etc
I can now draw the roof and have the beams where I want them.
Brian
Hi Brian,
There was also another option: If the outer edge to the second rectangular roof was correct, then you could have just draged the one edge (where it butted against the main roof) so that it went right into the main roof (beyond the walls) and it would automatically join and re-pitch itself. The reason it did not do this at first was probably because you did not overlap the new roof section over the old - you must overlap the main roof itself, not just the roof overhang - draw it right in beyond the walls and it will become part of the main roof.
Allan
Thanks Allan
That works well too, need to incorporate it in 'first steps'
Brian
Yes - I have that in mind!!
Allan