I am having some difficulty with a roof. I used to use Floorplan many years ago and always had problems with roofs. I just bought the latest version and roofs are still not easy.
I am trying to create a double pitched roof. Unfortunately this is the closest I can get
(http://gallery.me.com/paulrbarnard/100031/Screen%20shot%202011-02-16%20at%2013.44.05/web.jpg?ver=12978646050001)
Just getting the two roofs on without the package automatically joining them together was a big problem. In the end I created one roof then duplicated it and moved it into position. As you will see the end walls are not being drawn in. With just one roof the end walls do appear.
I also can't get rid of the overhang. This property has only an inch or two of overhang anyway and no cross over of the eves at the join in the middle. I have tried setting the Fascia Distance to the same height as the wall which got the Overhang Drop to 0" so the roof no longer sticks into the inside of the house, but I can't get rid of the Overhang.
So a number of issue here and I have spent too long trying to resolve this already. Simply getting the end walls to draw will be enough enable me to finish this project.
I would certainly appreciate any pointer on this.
Hi Paul (I presume)
Welcome to the forum.
Normal roofs in TurboFloorPlan are actually extremely easy - just one click usually. The roof you are creating is not quite "normal" but is quite do-able if you use "Roof By Picking Points" (arrow on roof icon).
1. Draw the rectangle for the roof over half the building and set the ends to Gable.
2. Draw the rectangle for the other half of the roof, set ends to gables and tick the box "Display Gable", setting this to the same texture as the walls.
3. Select the 'inside' edge of each roof separtely and change the 'overhang' to 1mm or 1/16".
Give it a go and let us know how you get on with it.
Allan
Many Thanks Allan,
Your description got me there quickly. It turns out the positioning of the roof on the inside or outside edge of the wall is critical for the join to work. Any overlap at all and the end walls are disrupted. The other key point was putting in 1/16" for the overhang. I had been trying 0 and that is not accepted.
I know have a roof over my head so thank you for that.