FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: frankie on February 20, 2011, 10:43:34 AM

Poll
Question: How do I slope a driveway
Option 1: 1 votes: 0
Option 2: 2 votes: 0
Title: Sloped driveway
Post by: frankie on February 20, 2011, 10:43:34 AM
Hi,
I've been trying to get a sloped driveway.  When using the slope tool in terrain, it slopes the entire width of the terrain.  I would like to slope only the width of the driveway.
The garage is 4 feet below ground and I'm using a negative slope from the boundary.
Frankie
Title: Re: Sloped driveway
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 20, 2011, 11:57:46 AM
Hi Frankie,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not played very much with the terrain tools but as you have foundthe slope is only the full width of the terrain. You could probably get what you wanted by using the plateau tool (using a negative figure), but I think ti will be too 'hit and miss' to get it right.

Probably the simplest way, as I have done in the image, is just to use a ramp, with a wall around it and cut the terrain with 'Room Divide' tool.

If you are not familiar with this type of option, here are the steps:

1.  On the Ground Floor, cut a hole in the terrain where your drive will be by using the Room Divide tool to draw the 3 sides that are away from the house, making sure you connect into the wall of the house. This will in effect extend the ground area of the house and cut a hole in the terrain accordingly. You can drag the edges of this later to get the size to match your drive.  If the house wall between the points where the Room Divide lines connect become interior surfaces, select the wall, and in the Properties use the 'Force Wall To Be Exterior (left or right)' tick boxes to change it back again. Note the green and red markers at the ends of the wall - green was the start, red the finish. The wall is left or right depending on the direction you drew it (from green to red).

2.  On your Basement level (4' below the terrain I presume), insert a ramp from the Stairs/Ramps catalogue.

3.  Change its slope, height and width etc to create the sloping drive.

4.  On the basement level, draw a wall around the 3 sides of the ramp away from the building to make the 'walls' of the drive recess and set to the texture you want (I just made it grass like the terrain - would be interesting trying to mow it!!).

5.  Drag the walls of the Room Divide so the terrain fits snugly around your drive recess walls.

I hope that makes sense.  If you can't follow anything just ask again.

Allan