FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: davoavo on February 25, 2011, 11:20:04 PM

Title: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: davoavo on February 25, 2011, 11:20:04 PM
First of all I would just like to say thanks to everyone on this site who gives advice as its been very helpful in creating my house designs. Im up to the final stages of my Designs and just need to do some site plans, sediment and erosion/storm water plans but I can not import the contour survey .DWG file onto turbofloor plan. I clicked on import cad file and selected my file but when I go to click on a new page to insert the file nothing at all will happen and will stay blank. I have attached the file to see if anyone would be kind enough to see if it will work on there TBF.

Regards David.
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 25, 2011, 11:49:53 PM
Hi David,

Like you I was unable to get it to import using your base file.  I opened it in TurboCAD, selected the main plan (left off the text at the side) and saved it again and this imported OK.  I also saved it as a DXF and imported that (using the import Wizard) and that was OK also.

I have attached the TurboCAD version if you want to try it. I just did a really rough crop of the plan - no attempt to pick out certain things, just to see if it worked.  If you have TurboCAD or similar you could try the same thing or, if not, I can recrop this one if you want to modify it or have the whole thing.  I noticed that the TurboCAD export deleted the text, so maybe the way that was done on the original was causing the problem.

Hope it helps.

Allan
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Draft Patrick on February 25, 2011, 11:57:23 PM
Hi David,

Welcome to the Forum

I saw that Alan did some tests. I did as well and I found some issues with few entities so I selected and copied all the elements (text included) to a new file (see attached) and it is working in my TFP program.
probably it happened because the True Viewer program

Let us know if it works OK

Pat
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: davoavo on February 26, 2011, 01:05:56 AM
Excellent ! Just what I am after and both files will come in handy indeed. Can I just confirm that If I open a new page right click-view properties-select 1:200 scale-Import the DWG (Convert file from Metres) then insert it then when I go to print it the survey should fit perfectly on an A4 size paper ? (dont have printer to test at the moment) I guess what im saying is if I do the above process that should be to correct scale still ? Also is there any way I can remove just the trees from the survey ?

The help is much appreciated Regards David.
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 26, 2011, 02:52:24 AM
Hi David,

I have deleted the trees, shrubs etc.  Is this what you want?
It does not seem to retain the text when imported into TFP, Pat's version didn't either.  Did you want the text?

Allan
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: davoavo on February 26, 2011, 04:59:22 AM
Hello Allen,

Thanks a million thats perfect. I may need the text with the trees but if it cannot be added I could just add it manually I think as there isnt a whole lot of it.

thanks for the help you both saved many headaches.
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Draft Patrick on February 26, 2011, 07:44:58 PM
Hi Allan,

Not sure why you can't see the text in my file

See attached

Pat
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 27, 2011, 11:15:30 AM
Hi Pat,

I can see the text in all the files in TurboCAD etc -it is just in TFP that it does not show.  I got the impression from your earlier post that you got the text in TFP also but I may have misunderstood that.

Allan
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Draft Patrick on February 27, 2011, 04:23:00 PM
OK, I found the problem and the solution

(in caps, the CAD functions)

In the original DWG file, the texts were developed using Mtext (multi line text). Unfortunately, it seems that TFP doesn't import Mtext, it imports just Text (simple note or one line text). However, fortunately, the solution is very easy--> by exploding the texts / entities. Using Turbocad--> just select --> Format --> Explode

I'm attaching the dwg (exploded) and the bld with the exploded dwg imported (zip files)

Hope this helps

Pat
Title: Re: Unable to import my .DWG Contour Survey on TFB
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 28, 2011, 09:52:41 AM
Thanks Pat for the info.

TurboCAD asked me if I wanted to explode the text and I didn't know what it was talking about - now I do!
TC is too complicated for me - I would like to understand it and have no doubt I could pick it up easily but just don't have the time for the learning curve - or the real need for it.

Allan.