FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: Davoe on March 06, 2011, 08:13:04 PM

Title: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Davoe on March 06, 2011, 08:13:04 PM
Hello,
I have an iMac Core Two Duo and run Windows XP Pro (SP2) via Mac Bootcamp - i.e., the Mac boots directly into Windows, it does not run Windows under Parallels or similar.

The last time I used TFP Pro (a valid, bought and paid for copy), in fact the last time I used Windows, was 12th Feb 2011. I booted Windows yesterday to open a previously done TFP Pro file that needed updating, but double clicking on the file didn't cause TFP Pro to open so I tried to open TFP Pro directly, only to be greeted with the message that it could not be accessed because the path/file/whatever was not valid or I didn't have permission to open it. Very strange as I was logged on as administrator and nothing had been changed since I last used it.
I had a trial version of TFP DeLuxe installed at the same time that had since expired so I deleted that thinking it may have been causing the problem - no, still the same. (Before I deleted it I tried opening it and it fired up OK  to inform me that the trial period had expired so I suppose it was working fine).

I tried running the TFP Pro install with the object of repairing it but the install app asked me for the original CD which I don't have as I downloaded TFP Pro and it is just one .exe file. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I could extract the contents of the .exe file and burn a bootable CD that the repair function would like, but drew a blank on that so gave up.
So, as AVG had done an update immediately I booted Windows, I restored Windows to the last time that TFP Pro was known to be working and immediately disabled the AVG update manager - still no good.

I then deinstalled both the DeLuxe and the Pro versions (the restore had brought DeLuxe back), but did not delete the Pro catalogs etc and did a fresh install of TFP Pro - but still the same message immediately appeared when I tried to open it.
I gave up then and am now considering restoring Windows to an even earlier date than the last restore as I can't think of anything else that might fix it, but I'm reluctant to do so in case I well and truly screw something up and Windows goes belly up entirely.

I haven't tried running any other programs on Windows so can't say if anything else is screwed. I can't remember at the moment what key to press to boot into safe mode so when I find that out I'll try that.

Anybody got any ideas?  ???
I bought TFP Pro V15 on 28th January 2011 and have not downloaded or installed any updates or patches to it (if, indeed there were any).
Thanks,
Dave.
Title: Re: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Allan Chesney on March 06, 2011, 08:33:52 PM
Hi Dave,

I am not a technical person as far as computers go, so I will leave any advise to those who are, but I do know that on my PC, for some programs, being logged in as an administrator is not sufficient - I need to right click the exe file and choose "Run As Administrator".   I had to do this initially with TFP and some other programs, until I found a way to make it do that automatically (but I can't remember how I did it - no doubt Pat or someone can remind me).

Have you tried the right click "Run As Administrator"?

Allan
Title: Re: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Draft Patrick on March 06, 2011, 11:47:23 PM
Hi Dave,

Allan suggestion is valid. Also--> I am not a mac user, so I am not sure if my suggestions will help. But anyway, you can try them

Last month a colleague had a similar problem opening a 3DS file in a graphic program --> after the program failed to open the object, her computer refused to open the program in all the situations. We tried all the tricks during 10 days
This was the successful solution -->
1 - Try to run updated versions of Spybot and Lavasoft. I know that you use AVG, but please, use Spybot and Lavasoft too. After you cleaned the computer, unplug (physically)  your computer from the internet
2 - perform a disk cleanup and defrag
3 - Now clean all the temp files (in Windows --> Run --> %temp% )
4 - reboot your computer in Safe Mode
5 - Run Registry cleanup
6 - Window Explorer --> perform a search for *.bld files and *.bkp files --> save them to a CD or DVD or memory stick and delete them
7 - Repeat 1 to 3
8 - Reinstall TFP 15 (still in Safe mode) --> open it --> draw anything (say four walls and a roof) --> save the file as (for example) "myfile.bld"
9 - Reboot the computer in normal mode --> open the program --> open the file "myfile.bld" --> NOTE (very important) we discovered that sometimes, in certain circumstances, double clicking the name of the file may create a "crazy temp file" --> so, until you solve the problem --> open the file after you open the program using File --> Open --> "myfile.bld"

Other important note: during all the process --> disconect any external device, remove any secondary HD or CD or DVD or memory stick --> just use your primary HD where TFP is installed

Hope this helps and let us know about the results

Pat
Title: Re: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Davoe on March 08, 2011, 07:17:21 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, guys.  :)
I've been too busy to try anything so far as we've just put the house on the market - with all the associated clean up etc that goes with it.
We're moving, hence the need to open TFP and move the furniture around on the new house plan.

I'll report back when I have a chance to play some more.

Cheers,
Dave.
Title: Re: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Davoe on March 25, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
Hi Guys,
I have it working again.
I can't remember what the actual train of events was but it's along these lines:
After I tried various things as suggested, and more, (by the way, I couldn't get Windows to boot in safe mode - must be some peculiarity of Bootcamp?) Windows appeared to cr@p itself at some stage and basically rebuilt itself at the next boot (didn't take long). After that I got a lot of strange messages so I updated AVG and did a scan with it and ran the anti-spyware and anti-adware but nothing was found. I then reinstalled TFP and AVG immediately said TFP.exe had a virus and disabled it! Tried that a few times with the same result.
I had looked for the virus name on the AVG web site but it wasn't listed so sent them the virus vault log. They just sent back to say it was a correct diagnosis and nothing about what it was or what it did.
So I deinstalled TFP yet again and ran AVG and it didn't find anything (ran the other two too, with nothing found) and reinstalled TFP but this time AVG got as far as letting me open the app before it said there was a virus and gave me the option of ignoring it - which I did - and it's been working perfectly ever since. Very strange as the CD I installed from is the same one that I originally used (I downloaded it from the IMSI web site and burnt it to CD on my Mac).
I have since run AVG etc and they haven't found anything.
Beats me.  ???
Title: Re: Why won't my TurboFloorPlan Pro V15 work any more?
Post by: Doug.S on March 26, 2011, 07:25:25 PM
Many times installer programs will tell you to turn off all antivirus programs to get a good install....and that is OK if you trust the source of the installer program....IMSI has been virus free ...always as I've used over many years.

AV programs search/scan for file code strings....and may hit and declare a string to be a virus risk...but its a false finding....but will stop the install or block operation or quarantine the file -- rendering the installed program useless.

Many AV programs have a "stop for 15 minutes" just for that purpose of program installs -- so you don't forget to turn AV back on again.

So...if installing seems an issue...try install with security off (and maybe temp disconnect from www; like unplug cable or put in standby mode)....for any program, not just TFP/IMSI.