FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: TheOldMan on March 20, 2011, 12:26:50 AM

Title: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: TheOldMan on March 20, 2011, 12:26:50 AM
After getting deep into a floorplan (using Ver. 15), in which I had inserted both windows and openings in many walls, suddenly I cannot insert any windows or openings into any walls, either interior or exterior. I can delete existing windows (and maybe openings as well). If I create an entirely separate set of walls out in the yard, I cannot insert any windows or openings into those walls either. However, I can insert doors in both interior and exterior walls.

If I open a different floorplan file that I created earlier, then I am able to insert windows and openings into the walls, without needing to reload the software.

I have checked to make sure that windows and openings are displaying and are selectable in the file that is not working properly.

I have tried running the file repair routine, to no avail.

Any suggestions about what to do would be much appreciated. I'd hate to lose so many hours of work.
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Kajvin - Robert W on March 20, 2011, 09:26:56 AM
Hi Oldman! I have not a clue what happen but I have two suggestion to narrow the problem.

If you try to new project  can you ad any windows and openings in this walls?
If you can there is no problem with the program, the will be a problem in the project you try to ad windows and openings.

If you have a copy of you catalog or the defult catalog, Then you have open the project you have trouble with open a new catalog in "File/Catalog/New Catalog" open your copy and see if you can ad a window to the drawing.

If you still have any problem can you send the bld-file to me, and I will look if I can find any problem in the drawing.

/Robert
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: TheOldMan on March 20, 2011, 01:02:22 PM
Robban--

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I can add windows and openings in walls in a different project. My problem occurs only in one project. So it seems the program is working properly.

I tried using the default catalog that comes with the program, in place of the edited catalog I created. It made no difference. I could not add any windows with the default catalog in my problem project. So it seems the problem is not in the catalogs.



Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Jack Zimmer on March 20, 2011, 02:31:39 PM
First Open File > then File / Save AS / rename the file (this will let you make changes without disturbing the original)

If it were my file, I would first look for a bad wall. In this case I'm looking for a bad join at some point that causes the wall to run to infinity.

To do this I would turn off ALL loctions settings, then turn ON 'Walls' on the Ground Floor (or the floor you can't add walls too).

Now check all corners, if one seems to have a diagonal line in it , instead of a clean corner. drag both wall ends to see if you can get a clean end. Do similar with all the corners.

If you don't see any bad walls, select one section of the model , a large area, and delete all those selected walls. Test to see if you can add any Windows / Doors.
Then continue deleting large areas of wall and testing for Insertion ability in the other remaining walls.

If you have deleted all the walls and cannot add to a newly added wall, use UNDO to get all the walls back (or open the original > rename > and start new from there.

The next step would be similar but deleting roof, or ceilings, or floors. Continue until you find what is corrupting the file.

I am assuming that you understand that you must be on the same location to add windows etc. You can't have Ground Floor ON and be in Foundation Location.

Jack
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Doug.S on March 20, 2011, 03:52:59 PM
best idea is to post copy of your broken .bld file here for others to check

Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: TheOldMan on March 21, 2011, 12:19:00 AM
Thanks to all for their suggestions! I decided to try Jack's approach before posting the misbehaving project here. After lots of trial and error, I found the problem with my project. Here is the problem: I had moved the head height up to 18' for the ground floor because I was preparing to put in a clerestory window at that height. But the walls I was trying to put windows and openings into were only 8' tall.

So, now I can insert windows into my project again, simply by lowering the head height to 8' or less for the ground floor.

This means I now could use some hints about how to put a clerestory window into a wall that will be 18' tall once I get my roof surface in place above it.
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Allan Chesney on March 21, 2011, 09:53:44 AM
I am not familiar with the term 'clerestory' window (haven't heard it in Australia) but if you mean a window in a gable, or at least a window that is above the normal head height of the other windows, just right click it and select Elevate. Just enter the height you want the window to be above the floor level of the floor where you inserted it (presumably the Ground Floor). This will move it up into the gable.  If it is in a gable, make sure the wall is set to 'Auto Extend to Roof' so that the wall will fill the gable area.

If the window is in an 'attic' (ie a Second Floor), then the window would probably be at head height of the second floor anyway, so you would not need to elevate it. In this situation the 'wall height' of your second floor would be set to whatever the minimum height of the vertical part of the wall (maybe only a fraction of an inch if the roof comes down to the floor).  Again make sure all walls on the second floor are set to 'Extend' so they will extend from their virtual zero height up to meet the roof.

Thanks for posting the solution to your 'unselectable windows' problem - it is always good to know when and how problems are solved.

Allan
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Kajvin - Robert W on March 21, 2011, 12:33:55 PM
Hi Oldman!
Glad that you find what was wrong in your project. I hope you can ad some images to the Gallery when you are ready, I'm very curios how you used the "clearstory" in your project, it's a great way to get some extra lighting in the house.
To you Allan look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerestory

/Robert
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: TheOldMan on March 21, 2011, 12:40:58 PM
Alan, thanks for the suggestion. I will try making it work for my situation. Your suggestion is the same one I thought about trying, once I have my roof surface in place over that wall and have the wall extended to the roof.

There is a potential problem, though. The clerestory windows will need to go into the top of an 18' foot high mostly interior wall that also has a 7' high interior entrance opening in it inserted at floor level, extending the entire width of the windows. In other words, several feet beneath the high windows there is a wide opening in the wall that contains the windows. I think the program will see a conflict between the windows and the opening and refuse to put both in the same section of the wall. I'll try turning off conflict detection and see what happens.

Anyway, thanks much for the reply.

Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: TheOldMan on March 21, 2011, 12:52:00 PM
Robban--

Thanks for the encouragement. I will post pictures if I ever get this project finished! I can only work on it a few hours a day before I go nutty.
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Kajvin - Robert W on March 21, 2011, 03:21:47 PM
Hi OldMan!
If you first insert the window in correct height on the 18' wall then after that insert the opening it will work without any conflict in the same space vertical on the wall. I have use that technique to set the window over the door in the image  in this post http://forums.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,1283.msg6252.html#msg6252
It works nearly as Allan sugestion.
/Robert
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Allan Chesney on March 21, 2011, 07:32:36 PM
Hi Robert,

Quote from: Robert W - "robban" on March 21, 2011, 12:33:55 PM
To you Allan look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerestory

I should have thought to look it up myself!!!

I can see why I have not heard the expression in Australia, as it is something that is rarely done here. We tend to have the opposite problem - too much light!  The high windows would be a real problem with the intense heat we have. Generally we place windows underneath verandahs and awings or with rolldown slotted shutters or angled screens, to keep the heat out. Here in Perth, for almost two months, the maximum each day has been between 30 and 40 degrees C (85-105 F) and often in the high 20s overnight - all time record for days over 30 degrees C and virtually no rain for 6 months or more (also a record). We are looking forwad to winter - some maximums in the 20's will be great.

Allan
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Doug.S on March 22, 2011, 09:05:55 PM
Just for grins, I made a very quick & dirty example of what I think is a typical clerestory use in US.

Often clerestory windows face north to avoid direct sun but let in plenty of indirect sunlight

Also they are often remote control motorized for ease of open/close to let hot air escape or provide a path for fresh air to circulate.

They are very useful....and reasonable cost for fixed windows...much more for remote elec. openers.
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Allan Chesney on March 22, 2011, 10:10:57 PM
Hi Doug,

We do see this type of construction occasionally here.  There is a tendency however to avoid ceilings that follow the roofline because of insulation problems.  Usually the ceiling would be flat and exhaust fans used to extract the hot air from the roof cavity. Lots of solar powered ones popping up now which is great (or will be when the get the price down!!).

Allan
Title: Re: Cannot insert windows or openings in any walls
Post by: Draft Patrick on March 23, 2011, 09:45:47 AM
Hi Allan,

Interesting. I developed several projects in Brazil (with similar climatic conditions), and this type of roof / window situation (also called shed window)  is used as a natural resource to exhaust the hot air --> as the hot air is lighter than cold air, it goes up. So the houses have grills air intakes (close to the foundations, therefore is cold air)--> in this way, the cycle is--> cold air is in (bottom) and hot air is out (by the shed window)
Of course, for Brazil, the shed window is South oriented.

Pat