FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: murphj on April 03, 2011, 04:20:32 AM

Title: dimensions incorrect
Post by: murphj on April 03, 2011, 04:20:32 AM
Hi all
The attached plan is showing an incorrect measurement  at the top of the plan of 10820 which should read 10852 when you add up all the individual measurements
There are also other incorrect measurements on the plan.
This is just one example.
Also, there is a measurement to the centre of a wall ( top left corner)
I don't know how to make it measure to the outside of the wall
Any suggestions re the incorrect measurements
Brian
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 03, 2011, 05:06:30 AM
Hi Brain,

If you add the 2147 on the right to the other figures it is correct with the 13000 (less 1mm rounding).  The right hand end of the 10820 dimension line does not appear to be at the right edge of the wall.  Hard to tell exactly with this image in Word but the dimension line looks thicker than the others, indicating the 10820 and the right hand 240 lines are not aligned.

You can change how the dimensions are calculated (what part of the wall) in Settings / Dimension Settings. Depending how you tick the boxes you will get a different display of the dimensions (eg wall centres, both edges, one edge etc.) Note there is an Exterior and Interiors tab on this dialog box.  You may also need to check the Precision Setting in Settings / Programme Settings / Units of Measure to overcome rounding issues.

I would suggest choosing how you want them to display, then use Tools/ Dimensions / Auto Exterior Dimensions again and then check the calculations again.  Also zoom in really close and check that the dimension lines are properly aligned - it is possible to accidentally move them, although doing Auto Dimensions again should fix that.  This is very important for any dimensions you have added 'manually' to make sure they are really aligned with the edge of the wall or whatever.

Allan
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: murphj on April 03, 2011, 04:58:33 PM
Thanks Allan
I cant seem to fix the misaligned wall,which looks like it is causing the problem as you suggested, but I also have other
measurements that don't add up properly around my building and will have a look at these later to see if it is the same problem
The Dimension settings that I am using are shown in the attachment.
It is still showing measurements to the middle of the wall(see 21480 line measured to top left corner)
Any suggestions
Brian
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 04, 2011, 04:34:13 AM
Hi Brian,

Quote from: murphj on April 03, 2011, 04:58:33 PM
It is still showing measurements to the middle of the wall(see 21480 line measured to top left corner)

I could not see a 21480 line on your image.  The second doc was the same as the previous post - did you maybe post the same one again instead of the new one?  Just a suggestion - why don't you post them as a JPG into the forum rather than using a Word attachment - it would make it easier to compare and without the need to open Word each time.

Allan
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: murphj on April 04, 2011, 05:02:53 AM
Allan
See if these tell the story
Brian
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 04, 2011, 09:08:02 AM
Hi Brian,

OK, I see it now.  I think the problem may be that you are using a Veneer wall (? - guessing the fact that it 240 thick) and the settings you have say to show the Core (Exterior) as well as (Core Interior).  In a veneer wall the exterior of the Core is the outside edge of the of the inside wall not the outside edge of the Veneer. The Overall setting will give you that and Core (Interior) will give you the inside edge of the wall.

Try ticking only Overall and the Core (Interior) and see if that fixes it. (and Interior walls of course if you want them).

Allan
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: murphj on April 04, 2011, 04:28:04 PM
Allan
Yes, it is a brick veneer wall and I want to have external measurements shown
i changed the settings(see attached) and it didnt fix it.
The new diagram shows a dimension of 21480 to centre of wall, but the other end of the dimension line( bottom left corner) goes to the exterior of the brickwork.
The correct overall dimension is 21600 ( 21480 +120 (half of 240 wall thickness))
The 21601 dims shown is correct( rounded to 21600).
Easy solution is to delete the 21480 line, which I will do, but it doesn't explain/solve the problem.
Tricky little program this oneand a steep learning curve to produce one plan, only to be told by a builder that it was not correct.
Needs some basic guidelines(first steps)for newbies?
Brian
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 04, 2011, 09:20:12 PM
Hi Brian,

Well I think we are getting somewhere with this at last.

I opened the last copy of your model that I had and the dimensions you have referred to were as you said. So I tested out a few things and I learned something new (to me): If you move a dimension line (eg move the line that is at a wall core centre to the exterior surface) and then do the Auto Dimenion Lines again, it does not actually delete the dimension lines, only the figures are updated and new ones added if there are any.  The end line you moved, stays in the same place and hence still has the same dimension - which I suppose is handy if you had moved one for a specific purpose.

Armed with this I physically deleted the dimension lines from around the model and then did the Auto Dimension Lines again. The deleted lines were replaced, in the right place according to the Dimension Settings.

Try that and so if it fixes your later copy, as it did for my older one.

I haven't forgotten the "first step" project. It is nearly there but I have been inundated with work since I moved so having difficulty getting back to it. Things are easing off now so I will finish it soon (maybe too late for you - you're an expert now!)

Allan
Title: Re: dimensions incorrect
Post by: murphj on April 04, 2011, 11:03:36 PM
Thanks Allan
Thats fantastic
It all works now.
I will be careful to check overall dims  next time.
Brian