FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: vinyyy on April 03, 2011, 12:29:35 PM

Title: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: vinyyy on April 03, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
Hello, we have been having problems trying to render tinted glass (eg. blue). When we do a basic render, the colour of the glass is there, but when we do an advanced render, the colour disappears. Does anybody know why this is happenning?
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Doug.S on April 03, 2011, 03:01:34 PM
I don't know why and never noticed before as I do very little window tints, mostly played with reflectivity..

But I fully agree it looks like a bug.

I did 6 side by side renders of basic vs. advanced....looking out, looking in, and looking thru a window only (no house), using a cyan tinted window, with white trim and ceiling, to make it obvious.

Basic renders all show cyan tint with light shining thru onto white becomes cyan tinted.

All advanced renders show no trace of color tint, only transparency correctly...thus white still shows white.

I saved the render files but no need to post them...but can if needed.

Looks like a render bug to me!
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 04, 2011, 05:02:23 AM
Quote from: vinyyy on April 03, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
Hello, we have been having problems trying to render tinted glass (eg. blue). When we do a basic render, the colour of the glass is there, but when we do an advanced render, the colour disappears. Does anybody know why this is happenning?

You will find that Advanced will work if you use a BMP texture of the colour rather than the Solid Colour selector.  The 'bug", if it is that, is in the colour selector area - it does not work as expected in many situations but if you use a texture of the colour you want it will.

In the first image below, the right hand window uses one of the textures ("BenMore 2065-40-Utah Sky0") while the right hand window just uses the 'Solid Colour' blue.

Note that the Texture colour will not work in Basic render - it render solid blue - no transparency, as in the second image.

Obviously Basic and Advanced deal with colours and textures differently - they are very different processes.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Allan
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: stixwilson on April 06, 2011, 07:56:41 AM
Nice tip Allan! Thanks!
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: stixwilson on April 06, 2011, 08:22:07 AM
I really like the look of the sunlight you have in the radiosity rendering. Your tinted glass technique with a bmp works great. I had a project I was working on and could have used that to my advantage had I known.  If you were to put a light fixture in the room what are the settings you kick the light fixture up to to get it to look like it is on??? I'm using Envisioneer 6.1. Can it even be done? By the way Allan, you need to be writing a book on Rendering in these Cadsoft programs. You've got a lot of insight and tips on how to use! Good stuff! :)
Have you tried a stain glass window with multicolor bmp? Would radiosity use all the colors of the stained glass and bounce them all around the room?
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 06, 2011, 09:27:00 AM
Hi Keith,

Simply put, any light will look as though it is on if you turn the sun off!  Unfortunately the Daylight setting 'overpowers' the artifcial lights and they appear to turn off.  Sometimes it will work with very bright lights and Daylight set to Overcast, but unless you need the sun shining in through windows as well, it is just easier to turn Daylight off.  You can simulate sunlight through windows be using a bright light outsidethe window.

I did briefly try stained glass once without success but it was just a quick test - I have not really exhausted the tests on it. I did not have a need for it at the time - just a user wanting to create a gothic arch.  The stained glass works well from outside!  I will try it properly inside some time.

Allan
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Jack Zimmer on April 06, 2011, 07:51:28 PM
Hi Stix,

Assigning any of the Exterior Lights (street light types) work with the Sun on. Start with 1000 w and adjust down from there. Adjusting cloudyness can also help, dependant on all the variables.

Jack
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 07, 2011, 12:35:52 AM
Hi Jack,

I have been studying your image and I am curious what lights you have used.  

Obviously the downlights etc are creating their own light, and clearly there is strong low light onto the bed and floor through a couple of windows. I was trying to work out if this is early morning (or later afternoon) sun or an exterior light to simulate it?  What made me wonder is the fact that the deck is basically shaded as are the tops of the doors... or is there something out of view shading the early sun from shining on the deck and a roof maybe, that is not in view, shading the tops of the doors?  The terrian appears to be illuminated with daylight and the deck appears to be 'overcast' setting but then that would not cause the sunlight on the bed.

Did you use 'Exterior' bulbs in the downlights etc?

However you have done it it looks great - looks like the perfect spot to wake up in the morning!

Allan
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Jack Zimmer on April 07, 2011, 08:17:57 AM
Hi Allan,

Just a very early morning Sun setting of 7 am to cast a long light. So the roof of the building which is high pitch is casting the shadow on the deck.

Partly cloudy w/ Brightness at .75.  Some invisible lights at 1000 w/ are used.

This is July of 2010 done for the HGTV product line. Flipped version attached.

thanks,

Jack
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Allan Chesney on April 07, 2011, 10:30:18 AM
Hi Jack,

The high roof casting the shadow explains it.
I think I like the flipped version even better than the first! Looks great!

Allan
Title: Re: Glass rendering issues Turbofloorplan Pro 15
Post by: Doug.S on April 08, 2011, 02:34:07 AM
Only "issue" I would mention is the color of the "sunlight" for sunrise time is too "white", it should have a more pinkish/yellow/orange (depending on the time) color cast for more realism. Same for "sunset" pics.

This of course is the downfall of having to use a workaround for the bugs of sun thru windows and doors....but is workable as color of the lights can all be adjusted to tweak to get just the right look and feel of the final render  (search this forum for how to adjust light/lighting color)

Or to fake it, one can adjust the color cast in a Photoshop type program....but correct renders are a better approach.