Hi all
I would like to show aligned dimensions on a plan with the measurement showing what I have nominated, rather than what the actual measurement show.
The reason to do this is that the auto dimensions and aligned dimensions show unrounded results and I would like to round them off.
I would also like to add some aligned dimensions that the TFP doesn't show
Also, how do you "whiteout" a measurement on a plan (Allan, you had a way to cover up lines etc, but I have forgotten how)
Regards
Brian
Hi Brian,
There is no provision that I know to type in the dimension you want. The proper way to do it of course, is to adjust the walls so they are correct, or move the dimension line, so that it displays the figure you want (select the dimension line and drag the blue arrow that is close to the building). You will have to move in really close to make fine adjustments.
The only way to type the dimensions in would be to create a new Text Style in White and change the ones you want to the white text so it will not show and then use the text tool to type in the figure you want.
You can add dimensions anywhere with the Aligned Dimensions tool (Tools / Dimensions / Aligned Dimensions).
Re "whiteing out measurements", you should be able to delete any that you don't want, or use the White text technique mentioned above. What you are remembering was a way of 'hiding' lines on an imported DXF plan - similar technique, draw a white line over the line you want to hide. To do that you must move in very close to make sure the line is exactly over the one you want to cover.
Allan
Thanks Allan
I have found that the aligned dimensions change by larger increments than i want ie if I need 16000 it will show say 15995 or say 16003 etc.
Is there away to move the dims by one mm increments?
Brian
Hi Brian,
I did warn that you need to zoom in close!!! Zoom in so you can just see the dimension and the end of the dimension line (hopefully they are not too far apart!) It can be moved in 1mm increments but it is hard. I hold the mouse down with one hand and move with the other. You may find it will help to set the GridSnap to 1mm. Unfortunately the Nudge does not work on Dimensions. (I must put in a request to get that enabled in a future version!)
If you are using an Auto Dimension (Exterior or Interior), the easiest way is to set the Nudge to 1mm and move the wall in 1mm increments - the dimension will follow.
Allan
While I don't usually use it....the commander feature (set to 'view' in program settings) at bottom of screen, should allow you to type in your exact dimension IIRC.
Hi Doug and Brian,
Thanks Doug!! I have never used this before and didn't know it existed but it is obvious really, since it can be used that way to draw the walls. I rarely do printed plans so have not had to worry about it before.
Brain, in case you are not familar with the Commander bar - it appears at the bottom (if turned on in Settings) whenever it can be used. To use it to enter a predetermined dimension do the following: Click Aligned or Linear Dimension, click on the point you want to measure from, begin to drag the line but then type the Dimension you want in the Commander bar 'Distance' box, Enter and then drag the dimension outside the building (or wherever you want it to sit). The dimension will be the length (and show the figure) you entered.
You can get any dimension exact by draging it, if you zoom in really close (so that the thickness of the wall fills the screen almost!) and you can then drag the marker so it is exactly on the wall edge. If the wall is the correct length, then the linear dimension will be also. If you inserted the Linear Dimension when zoomed out (which you logically would) you will find when you zoom in REALLY CLOSE, that the blue traingular dimension marker is actually not exactly on the wall edge and hence the few mm difference you were getting before.
Anyway, using the Commander bar solves your problem!
Allan
Hi Allan and Doug
I had used the commander bar before to specify exact lengths and had tried it to show these dimensions, but it didnt work for me.
The problem appears to be that it doesnt work when you start the alignment by clicking and dragging from the actual wall.
It works when I start the click and drag from outside the house plan area.This is OK as I know the dimension that I want to show on the plan. I just need to make sure that the dimension line is aligned to look as though it is in the correct position.
Brian
Hi Brian,
I can't be positive about V12 but did you do the following:
1. Click Linear Dimensions (or Aligned)
2. Move mouse to where you want to start the dimension and click (Commander bar boxes will appear)
3. Click into the Distance box and type the dimension you want.
4. Click in the Direction box and type 0 (for horizontal left to right)
5. Hit Enter on the keyboard (the line will be drawn with the dimension you entered)
6. Now drag it to where you want the line postioned and click.
If that doesn't work then it would appear it was introduced after V12.
Allan
Hi Allan
I had already followed the steps as you set out and it works OK, provided I start to drag the dimension from outside of the existing plan area.
Interestingly the measured dimensions do not add up properly, as shown on the attachment.
Brian
Hi Brian,
You should be able to draw the dimension anywhere. I just tested it again, inside and outside my test model (4 walls) and it worked fine either way. I can't think of any reason it is not working 'inside' for you. You can of course move it, (select the right click Move) so it does not matter where the specified dimension is created anyway, you can just move it to where you want it. You can also Duplicate or Mirror it if you have several of the same dimension.
As far as the dimension on the image is concerned it appears to me, when looking VERY closely, that the 4452 left side dimension line, is not aligned with the left side of the 12872 dimension line. This slight missalignment could easily explain the 18mm difference between the two lines. I would just check that the 4452 dimension line has not been moved accidentally.
Allan
Thanks Allan
However,that is not the problem
I should have posted the attached diagram which shows that the 4452 is the actual calculated dimension(that I showed on the first diagram).
Brian
ND I am using TFP ver 15
I can email the file to you if you want to try to position the line within the building area,
however I have achieved a satisfactory result by placing it outside of the building area
Hi Brian,
Yes, email me the file. Sometimes it is the only way to work out what is happening and I like to sort things out if I can, especially to make sure it is not a bug of some sort. So far I have not seen an incorrect calculation in the dimensions - there has always been an explanation for apparent inaccuracies and usually only found by zooming in REALLY close on the original file and something odd shows up.
Allan
my perception....looking at the .jpg view, is that the dimensions are not aligned exactly on the left side (the upper one is slightly to the right of the lower dim) and they may not all be parallel to each other....i.e. one or more is at a very slight angle
Hi Doug,
Yes that was the problem. Looking at the BLD file it was just a matter of dragging the arrow of the dimension line back to to wall itself, so that it snapped to the wall, and then all the dimensions added up correctly.
Brian,
I forgot to mention in the email, that you may find it easier to get the accuracy you want by turning Line Weights off. (Settings / Program Settings / Workspace / Linework). If you untick the box you will find it much easier to see the individual lines and it will be very obvious if you look at the corner of the garage. Zoom in really close and you will see what I meant in the email about the wall fragments. Drag the end of the biggest section back a bit towards the door, delete all the other bits and drag the wall back again to the corner - then drag the other wall to meet it. It should snap together giving a clean corner and the dimension should then show correctly if they are adjusted to the wall edges.
Allan
Thanks Allan and Doug
The attached plan has corrected dimensions, although the 12872 should read 12873, but I can live with that.
Allan, thre were lots of wall fragments to delete.
It looks OK now, although the little angle thingies look a bit lopsided.
Brian
Hi Brian,
Looks better now! You should still be able to get the 12873 if you zom in real close on the dimension arrow or Nudge the wall 1mm.
The "angle thingies" look lik a Floor By Picking Points. I am not at home at the moment so I can't check. If you select it, you can drag the corners to make it square. They should snap to to wall, or the cursor will change to indicate alignment.
Allan
Allan and Doug
I now have a plan that shows all the dimensions adding up correctly and aligned properly.
Alan, it was a handy tip to turn off the line weights and zoom in closely.
The problem that I had where I couldn't draw the dimensions from within the building area has been resolved by following your instructions exactly. (If all else fails follow the instructions!)
I was using a click and drag procedure instead of the clk and enter steps that you set out.
You can also get the same result by following these steps: left clk where you want line to start, drag line in required direction,rt clk,enter dimension in direction box,enter,enter.
TFP seems to put some of the dims lines in strange places. I have moved a lot of them around and added new ones and put the dimensions on them. The way they were automatically set out made it hard to read and interpret and difficult for a builder to set out.
I would not risk using the auto exterior dimensions function now that I have tidied up the plan, as it would delete the amended notations.This would be a problem if I changed the drawing at this stage.
Thanks for all your help.
Brian
Allan
I hadn't read your email when i posted the last message
The attached shows corrected measurements.
Thanks for all your help
Brian
Hi Brian,
Good to hear you have it sorted!
Allan