Someone emailed me a file that was done in AutoCad - I was hoping TFP would just open it up but it did not.
I am trying to get it into TFP.
I am assuming I would go through "import" - but so far, no luck.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Hi Garry,
It depends what format the file is - you did not say.
If it is DXF or DWG then you can import these into TFP.
File> Import> Import CAD file, will import an AutoCAD DWG file to use firectly as a 2D drawing.
File> Import> Object Wizard, will import a 2D or 3D DXF file created in AutoCAD (ideal for tracing a plan) or 3DS.
File> Import> Project Trace Image, will import BMP, JPG or TGA files for tracing.
How did you want to use the AutoCAD file? Was it just to trace the plan? If that is what you wanted to do the DXF format is ideal.
What format is the file you have been given?
Allan
Sorry I didn't give enough info - it is ".dwg".
I was hoping to just open so I could add notes, edit, etc.
I could have them send it in another form if that would help.
They also sent it as a PDF but I couldn't make any changes to it.
Thanks for the help.
Hi Garry,
You can import the DWG (I assume you are using V15) but you will not be able to edit it. You can add text and lines etc using the Layout tools, but cannot remove any ofthe existing lines except by drawing a white line exactly on top of the one you want to remove.
If you have an earlier version then you can import and use a DXF the same way -add text, lines etc but again you cannot edit the DXF itself. Insert it on a one location and add things on another location. The DXF will show through as much as you want by adjusting the Dimming Percentage in Settings/Workspace.
If you want to actually trace the plan then get them to send you a DXF file. You will not be able to edit this either but it is very easy to trace - much easier than tracing an image (JPG, BMP etc).
Allan