FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: Doug.S on December 08, 2011, 09:51:07 PM

Title: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Doug.S on December 08, 2011, 09:51:07 PM
Allan & Jack, I'm thinking you know the answer to this as we have done before in earlier versions...but I'm using v16, trying to make light fixtures light the room, yet show no image of the fixture (i.e. invisible)

But as you can see I made the fixture small, everything transparent, the light works OK, but the fixtures show as black spots....see pic attached.  (and didn't the light source used to be red, but it is now black?).

I was thinking I could insert a bulb with no fixture...but can't find one.

I used a ceiling fixture...but can't remember all the tricks to make it "disappear".

Any suggestions???
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Allan Chesney on December 08, 2011, 10:39:48 PM
Hi Doug,

Have you tried elevating the light fitting above the ceiling and lowering the light 'bulb'?  That way the light fitting cannot be seen but the light source can be wherever you want it.  In the example below the ceiling was at 2500mm, the light fitting at 3000mm and the bulb at minus 1500mm which places the light source at 1000 below the ceiling.

There are other ways to do it too but this has always worked for me. The only problem is if you have a second storey etc!

The bulb is still red in the Properties box. The black you are getting is probably one of the transparent srfaces as they will sometimes render black - not sure why, which or under what circumstances - I have not had a chance to test that out yet.

Jack may have some other suggestions if you have a second storey issue with this one.

Allan
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Doug.S on December 09, 2011, 09:16:10 AM
Thanks, that sound like a good answer and I'll try it

On this job I have no second story; so no problem

---------------

edit: 
works like a charm. 
I also changed to fluorescent fixture and played with heights of bulb from ceiling to get the best results (with fixture hidden above ceiling) for light distribution in room and on ceiling (with no fixture visible)
"recessed" fluorescent  fixture easy to use because it is so thin and easy to "hide" above ceiling.

and yes the "bulb" is a red cube again
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Doug.S on December 09, 2011, 10:19:57 AM
One more issue....I solved, but....

I have one room...render views from three cameras for different positions/views of room

All cameras virtually same settings except for position and minor angles/heights...

but the render results (all same settings) are dramatically different; 2 are fine but the third always renders almost black ceiling.

So work around solution is to render the best view, then set to other camera using same radiosity already calculated and just do the raytrace again....results very good for all renders and second renders are faster because no new radiosity calcs.

But why??? oh the mysteries of TFP.
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Doug.S on December 09, 2011, 10:29:16 AM
Since I'm on this topic, have any of you experimented enough to tell if manually setting "custom" render to max. as 2000 instead of TFP 1500 makes any difference?

How about 3000?

On this latest project I used 2000 but it stopped at about 1663....better/more than 1500 but some limit to convergence at about .05 seems to stop any improvements.  I guess it can only render so good....but what to choose to get the "best"?
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Allan Chesney on December 09, 2011, 12:00:29 PM
Hi Doug,

I have only every used 1500. It often does not even go that far anyway.  I did hear some explanation obout it at some stage but I have forgotten now what it was. Old age!!

Allan
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Jack Zimmer on December 14, 2011, 12:56:30 PM
QuoteOn this job I have no second story; so no problem
Doug

Hi Doug,

Even if you had a second story, you have the space made up of joists to insert the light above  the ceiling and not see the fixture. You can also resize the fixture down to as small as 1/8" , so your sure it isn't visible. Then drop your light source below ceiling.

Why do you want 3000 setting?  The only time that should be necessary is when you are using it for outdoor lighting substitution for the sun.

In the attached , high off camera street light set to 1000 , lights the whole scene.
The other lights then fill in as highlighted areas. Very faint , but does what I wanted.

Sun OFF

Jack
Title: Re: making light fixture invisible???
Post by: Doug.S on December 17, 2011, 11:25:34 PM
Why do you want 3000 setting?  The only time that should be necessary is when you are using it for outdoor lighting substitution for the sun.

In the attached , high off camera street light set to 1000 , lights the whole scene.
----------------------------

I was not talking about the light brightness at 3000w, but rather the radiosity render quality setting more than the "highest" standard setting of 1500.  2000 or 3000.....does it really create a better render or just takes longer. Renders seem to quit/stop automatically when convergence reaches about .05.

So the question is...for "best ever" render....does it pay to set quality setting manually to a high value such as 2000 or 3000 or is it a waste of time/effort?

I could run some tests but program developers and heavy users like Jack and Allan may know the answer from experience....saving users from running their own tests and duplicate effort.

I was trying to get better shadows at walls near floor and more even light on ceiling using light "bulb" (source) below ceiling with fixture above ceiling....and to get render quality in a room regardless of camera position....

sometimes ceilings render near black or blotchy from one camera but not another....so need to render from one camera then switch cameras, use same radiosity solution, and do a raytrace render to get a good result....extra work and no reason why; but at least a solution...but maybe extra high quality would solve the problems? 

So far, no real difference.