FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: quintain on January 04, 2012, 04:46:33 AM

Title: How can I get Family house example
Post by: quintain on January 04, 2012, 04:46:33 AM
OOkaaay; I feel like a philistine asking the question but is there a library or similar where I can download a number of different family home examples (UK type).
I need external views only and if such a facility was available it would save me an enormous amount of work.

Regards
Richard
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: Draft Patrick on January 04, 2012, 08:20:33 AM
Hi again Richard,

If it is only for external view, I can think of 2 options

1 - You can use a photo board, as a background --> File --> Import --> Photo Board Wizard
2 - Go to the Landscape tab --> Look for the second icon from the right (looks like a gazebo)--> it is the icon of Exterior structures --> Right pane menu --> House templates --> you will find several models and styles --> notice that these houses are "objects" so you cannot edit or make changes

Pat
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: Allan Chesney on January 04, 2012, 09:23:22 AM
Hi Richard,

Quote from: quintain on January 04, 2012, 04:46:33 AM
... is there a library or similar where I can download a number of different family home examples (UK type).
I need external views only ... it would save me an enormous amount of work.

How did you plan to use the 'views' you want?

An 'external view' implies a photo of the outside (hence Pat's comment to import it as a photoboard) but I don't see how this would save you 'an enormous amount of work', (unless you just plan to create a landscape in front of the image).

How you plan to use them will help others to understand what you are looking for - photos, plans or 3D models.

Allan
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: quintain on January 04, 2012, 10:22:01 AM
Hello to Both

Thank you for your interest.
I discovered the house templates in external structures after I had asked the question (didn't even know they existed).
BUT, the models are not brilliant for my use. Some are suitable (ish) I would benefit from a larger selection.

My reason for this work is a tentative future application for a mid market self build site on part of our farm land. It is very early days and obviously I don't want to go to an architect at this moment.
With self build the properties will be individual designs and if the scheme is progressed I would place a design requirement relating to external brick & colour amongst some other matters.

I attach my work to date which hopefully will more fully show what I trying to achieve; BTW I have been able to alter the external appearance/colour of the models as can be seen from the file.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Regards
Richard
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: Draft Patrick on January 04, 2012, 03:04:42 PM
Hi Richard,

I think that you have 2 options (in addition to the structures)
1 - You can import "houses-objects" as 3DS or Sketchup objects, for example. There are many free objects online.  However, first, check your computer's capabilities because unless you have a lot of available memory and a (very) solid videocard (not video chip) , the process will become (very) slowly
2 - I think that you best options is.... the developement of the houses with TFP, this means within the program. A basic structure without interiors is not complicated

Pat
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: Kajvin - Robert W on January 06, 2012, 05:49:27 AM
Hi Richard! Her is a site there you can get some idea http://www.houseplans.com/
You can trace the outline of the images

Robert
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: quintain on January 06, 2012, 11:15:10 AM
Thanks everyone, I much appreciate your help.

I have (todate) used the programme examples and spread them around the site.
I will find time to follow your various suggestions.

NOTE: I was about to send the above message with my latest effort BUT my directory folder is completely empty !!!!!
TFP v15 was open earlier when we suffered an electrical 2 hour outage, electrics have just been restored and on opening my project folder found it empty.
I have lost my work on v15 (thankfully only the work relating to this enquiry) my work is OK on TFP v12.
I will post this upset (nice word in print different in my mind) on the forum and see if any one has any ideas but also to warn other users.
I will do a google desk top search to see if the file has been saved elsewhere.
I will also download the file I posted to the forum, albeit not fully up to date but only about 1 hour behind.

Best Regards
Richard
Title: Re: How can I get Family house example
Post by: Allan Chesney on January 06, 2012, 12:03:33 PM
Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about losing your model - very annoying! At least you can blame someone else. It's worse if you delete it yourself like I did once. I try to keep multiple copies now in different places just in case!

When you do your search look for BKP files also as TFP automatically saves at least one backup - more if you ask it to.

Allan