FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: PAPADOC on January 18, 2012, 09:20:47 AM

Title: ZOOM WINDOWS
Post by: PAPADOC on January 18, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
How can I make a zoom window and save  the zoomed window as a new drawing. I want to take the awning of the house I'm drawing and make a separate drawing of it to show more details and a better scale.
Also, is there a way to zoom window something and delete everything in the zoom window?
Thanks,
PAPADOC
Title: Re: ZOOM WINDOWS
Post by: Allan Chesney on January 18, 2012, 10:35:03 AM
Hi Papadoc,

Last point first - there is a Zoom Window on the Zoom and Navigate toolbar (usually at the bottom) - this will enlarge everything in the rectangle you drag and it will fill the screen. 

To select everything in a chosen area to delete them,  you can simply click the background and drag a box - that will select all lines that the box intersects. If you hold down the Shift when you draw this rectangle, you can select several unconnected areas to delete if you want. Right click gives several similar options.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by the original questions:
Quote from: PAPADOC on January 18, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
How can I make a zoom window and save  the zoomed window as a new drawing. I want to take the awning of the house I'm drawing and make a separate drawing of it to show more details and a better scale.

You can't select and area and make it into another drawing but you can Right Click / Duplicate but that will be the same size on the same 'page'.

You could select an area and right click 'Duplicate to Locations' and save it onto another location and delete the original but that will also be the same size.

You could simply save the model with a new name and delete everything you do not want.  The size will still be the same though as TFP draws in real-world dimensions.

Did you draw the original too small? (eg it was 6' wide but you only drew it 3').  TFP draws everything in real-world dimensions, so if you drew the awning  the correct size by the dimensions, then you should not need to change the size. You can just use the Zoom Window to blow the view up to whatever size you want.

If the problem is printing it at a bigger scale then you can use the Window option in the Print dialog to select any part of the model and print it to the scale you want or to fill the page.

If one of these suggestions does not cover what you are trying to do you may have to provide more explanation.

Allan
Title: Re: ZOOM WINDOWS
Post by: PAPADOC on February 06, 2012, 09:33:19 AM
Thanks. I tried it and it works. I was drawing my own plans to build a new house where mine burned. I spent too much time arguing with the building officials about what I wanted. The insurance company said I've got to get out of the rent house they are providing by May 30. So, I decided to get a contractor and proceed. He will get the plans drawn from a professsional design service. Therefore, I'm not in as quite a rush to get the my drawings done. However, I'm still going to try to learn the program. I wish it would import into other programs. I need more lines, circles, etc. like autocad. I purchased a cheap program, CadStd, but it won't import it. I tried the OpenOffice graphics program. It won't import, either.
I'm going to continue to try to learn this program.

Thanks again for your help. I was in Perth in 1982. I visited the local Harley-Davidson dealer while I was there. The dealership is the furthest from the factory.

Have some fun today,
PAPADOC
Title: Re: ZOOM WINDOWS
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 06, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
Hi Papadoc,

Have you got the Layout Toolbar turned on?  It gives you lines, circles etc - you should be able to draw almost anything you want with it.

If you export your plan as a DXF (File / Export / 2D Drawing), almost any CAD program will open it.

You would not recognise Perth now.  It is about 4 times the size and 20 times the height!!  Huge mining investment has meant dramatic expansion, some companies even moving their head offices from London to Perth. Rediculous wages are being paid just to get the workers and collosal rents in the process, especially up north. Don't know whether it is a good thing or bad!

Allan