FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => Feature Requests => Topic started by: jstranger on February 26, 2008, 03:07:53 AM

Title: standardisation of basic element properties
Post by: jstranger on February 26, 2008, 03:07:53 AM
This is less a new feature request and more a request to tidy up what is already there and provide a consistent user interface and functionality.

Every element should have a number of basic properties which can be manipulated in a consistent way - in particular, overall dimensions. For example, if I create a fence or wall, then I see the length as I am dragging the line - both on the plan and in the Commander area. But once it is created and I click on that element then the length is not shown. Except if I create a multi-segment wall then clicking on a segment shows the length of a different segment (why?) - but only on the plan, not in Commander. But not if I do the same for a fence! And if I look at element properties then I can see the height of a fence or wall but not the length!

It is suggested that length/width and height (at least - possibly also depth) should be basic properties which are always shown in Commander when an element is selected. I am less concerned whether these are also shown on the plan. Obviously not evey element will have a meaningful full set of dimensions (a flower or tree will have height but not length/width), but these properties could simply be fixed in these cases.

Jon Stranger
Title: Re: standardisation of basic element properties
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 26, 2008, 04:21:56 AM
I agree, this is a valid observation and well worth considering. Consistency makes things much easier.

Allan