FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: tanstaafl. on January 29, 2009, 05:35:33 AM

Title: I may have a corrupted *.bld file -- weird problems.
Post by: tanstaafl. on January 29, 2009, 05:35:33 AM
Attached is a *.bld file that is giving me a lot of grief.  Problems include:
Scroll bars don't work properly unless the image is expanded so that it is larger than my screen.
All the flooring material on the ground floor is gone, except for the room defined by the East deck.
I can't select any of the rooms on the ground floor, except for the East deck, and that only in 2D Designer or 3D mode.
I can't select any of the rooms on the second floor in 2D plan mode.

Allan has very kindly offered to look at this file and see if he can find some dumb thing I did to break it, but anybody else who wants to is welcome to take a shot at it.  I'm open to suggestions.

tanstaafl.
Title: Re: I may have a corrupted *.bld file -- weird problems.
Post by: Allan Chesney on January 29, 2009, 09:39:43 AM
Well I assume this is good news - I can't find anything wrong with it.  The scroll bars worked normally after the terrain was turned on - until then there was nothing to scroll to I suppose.

The floors are certainly missing on the ground floor but I was able to add new ones. Presumably you must have deleted them accidentally.

Not quite sure what you mean with the next two points - I was able to select every item on both floors, but I notice your comment was that you cannot select any of the "rooms" (except in 2D Designer or 3D).  If you meant the actual 'room' then that is correct - unlike FP3D you cannot actually select a room in TFP. In 2D designer you are selecting the floor not the room and same in 3D. So, if you did mean 'room' then there is nothing wrong. If you meant that you cannot select anything in plan view (the walls and other elements of the rooms) then you do have a problem, but I don't, meaning it is some issue on your PC.

Maybe you can just clarify first if you were expecting to be able to select the whole room and try the scroll bars with the Terrain turned on.

I added an auto roof, floor, ceiling and a few lights and did a couple of renders just for fun. It will be interesting to see it when you finish it!

Allan
Title: Re: I may have a corrupted *.bld file -- weird problems.
Post by: tanstaafl. on January 29, 2009, 04:15:47 PM
Quote from: Allan Chesney on January 29, 2009, 09:39:43 AM
Well I assume this is good news - I can't find anything wrong with it.  The scroll bars worked normally after the terrain was turned on - until then there was nothing to scroll to I suppose.

...after the terrain was turned on...  Doh!  In hindsight that is so obvious, but with my tunnel vision I never saw it.  Nice catch, Allan!

Quote If you meant the actual 'room' then that is correct - unlike FP3D you cannot actually select a room in TFP. In 2D designer you are selecting the floor not the room and same in 3D.

And there is the absolute root of what I perceived as my problem!  I was so accustomed to FP3D where you selected a room which had a default floor, then changed the floor, that I didn't realize that TFP operated differently.  The reason TFP won't let me select the room is because...  it isn't supposed to.

QuoteThe floors are certainly missing on the ground floor but I was able to add new ones. Presumably you must have deleted them accidentally.

Well, sort of.  Somewhere along the way the option to "Automatically Insert Floors" got switched off (Is it normally on by default?) and when my changes on the ground story had no floors I tried to select the room and add a floor like I would have in FP3D, and things snowballed from there.  You'd have thought that an instruction path like "Insert --> Floors --> Room by Room" would have been a clue, wouldn't you?   :)

QuoteSo, if you did mean 'room' then there is nothing wrong. If you meant that you cannot select anything in plan view (the walls and other elements of the rooms) then you do have a problem, but I don't, meaning it is some issue on your PC.

Nope, you called it.  I can select and modify any element, I just thought I could select the whole room like FP3D.

QuoteI added an auto roof, floor, ceiling and a few lights and did a couple of renders just for fun. It will be interesting to see it when you finish it!

The second story is pretty much done, although I am sure the 80/20 rule will apply here -- 80% of the work will be in finishing the last 20% of the job.  I have only done a brief, unsuccessful attempt at rendering.  It looked like it was working but created an empty file.  My guess is that I have to turn hardware acceleration off in order to render anything.  I'm just happy I can leave it on for the actual construction -- it is enormously faster than with it off!

As always, thanks for the help, Allan.  You have no idea how comforting it is to have the sort of help resource that this Forum presents.

Doug Burnside
aka:  tanstaafl.
Title: Re: I may have a corrupted *.bld file -- weird problems.
Post by: Allan Chesney on January 29, 2009, 07:19:57 PM
Hi Doug,

I am glad it was just the 'room' missunderstanding, at least it is not a PC issue!

Re the rendering - have you tried it with the settings that you had in the file you posted? They worked just find for me with HA on. Before the update you would get a blank file if you saved as a JPG.

Allan
Title: Re: I may have a corrupted *.bld file -- weird problems.
Post by: tanstaafl. on January 30, 2009, 02:46:44 AM
Quote from: Allan Chesney on January 29, 2009, 07:19:57 PM
Hi Doug,

I am glad it was just the 'room' missunderstanding, at least it is not a PC issue!

Re the rendering - have you tried it with the settings that you had in the file you posted? They worked just find for me with HA on. Before the update you would get a blank file if you saved as a JPG.

Allan

I am SO glad I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting the rendering issue.  "Before the update..."  You are right, of course, the render I tried was before the update, and that is why it failed.  As you suggest, they work just fine now.

This program is so much better in so many ways than the old FP3D program!

One thing FP3D had that TFP doesn't is the ability to place just a countertop (without cabinet) as an element in the project.  A bit of searching, though, found a post you made more than a year ago with the trick of making all the elements of the cabinet except for the countertop transparent.  That works.  I added a "Transparent" color to my catalog in case I need it again.  The tricky part was finding out where you go to edit the Material Properties to make the transparent texture.  As you said in your post a year ago -- it is well hidden!  I built a two-level L-shaped kitchen island with that trick.

Another hundred or so hours working with TFP and I'll start to think of myself as competent at it.  Not at your level, of course, but capable, say, of designing a garden toolshed on a flat lawn.

tanstaafl.