FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: tanstaafl. on February 03, 2009, 12:33:15 AM

Title: Domed ceiling
Post by: tanstaafl. on February 03, 2009, 12:33:15 AM
OK, Allan (or anyone else brave enough to try and answer this one)  :)

My Mexican retirement condominium I am trying to replicate has 14 foot (4.25 meter) high domed ceilings made out of brick in two of the rooms.  This type of construction is known as a "boveda" and you can view the attached photograph to get an idea of what it looks like.  The walls are about 10' (three meters) tall, the domed ceiling extends another four feet (1.25 meters) above that.

I haven't found any way in Turbo Floor Plan to approximate this look, either on the interior or on the exterior roof which is flat except for the domes protruding up from the two bovedas.  Is this possible to do in TFP?

Don't spend a lot of time trying to do this -- it isn't really essential to my project, but it would be fun if it can be done without extreme measures.

tanstaafl.
Title: Re: Domed ceiling
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 03, 2009, 10:23:35 AM
Well, a domed roof is actually very easy, you just select 'Arched' in the Roof Shape options and all you do then is set the underside of the roof to brick (no ceiling needed). It gets harder if you want it circular within a square room and harder still if you wanted two in one roof but still do-able as in the images. I have attached the BLD file if you want to see how these are done.

A domed roof does add a lot of polygons and can slow the program down somewhat. I also found I could not get this model to render without giving render errors (requiring camera movements to fix) so I did not persist as it was getting late (nearly midnight for me). You will notice I have made the domes thin and put them on a Location by themselves, on round walls only 1mm high (Location set to 1mm). Round walls are easy if you use the Layout toolbar (Circle) and right click, "Convert To..." walls, obviously. Set the 'Drop Face to zero' or just turn them off in the View Filter after you insert the domed roof.  Get it right then duplicate it for the second one.

The second one is a problem as the ground floor roof will only cut the hole for one of the domes as they are not connected - you will have to select the main roof, right click and 'Cut Opening' tracing the round shape of the other dome (Turn off Anglesnap will make this easy).

If this description is too brief, ask again.

The roof over the entry to the Nine Storey Office Building in the Gallery (http://forum.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,758.0.html (http://forum.turbofloorplan.com/index.php/topic,758.0.html)) is a domed (arched) roof but I have changed the angles to get the flattened effect I wanted.

Allan
Title: Re: Domed ceiling
Post by: tanstaafl. on February 03, 2009, 10:58:13 AM
Quote from: Allan Chesney on February 03, 2009, 10:23:35 AM
If this description is too brief, ask again.

Uhhh...  way too brief.  You overestimate considerably my TFP abilities here.

But... experience has taught me that the only way I can actually learn how to do these things is to try and work them out for myself, with helpful guidance from people such as yourself to point me in the right direction.

I'll spend a few hours with the instructions you left me, and study your *.bld file, and just maybe I'll be able to work out how you did it and be able to replicate it myself in my own drawing.  Some of the stumbling blocks I'll have to get over is the whole concept of different "locations" (don't laugh -- I never worked that one out in FP3D either) and I'll have to really play quite a bit with the deeply configurable roof elements.

Sounds like fun!

tanstaafl.
Title: Re: Domed ceiling
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 03, 2009, 06:28:01 PM
Yes, you need to get familiar with Locations, especailly if you are trying to replicate a 4 storey house!!  TFP comes with a foundation, ground and second floor (we would call this the first floor in Australia - UK too I think). Anyway, what Locations do is set all the vertical (3D) dimensions for you.  So you have the wall heights , door/window to heights and, notably, how far the floor level is above the Terrain.  The Ground floor is 300mm (standard floor thickness) and the others are the wall height plus the floor thickness stacked on each other. The walls also have a 'drop face' setting that takes the wall appearance and drops it over the face of the 300mm floor. That can be set if you need to.

You can Add a location which will replicate it the same as the one you selected.  If you change nothing, then you have a new Location in the same space as the one you have 'copied'.  You can do anything on this location without it interacting with the other one in the same space, although the opening for windows and doors will cut through both walls).  This independance of Locations enables many tricks.

In the two domes roof, the only trick is that the walls and other settings for the Second floor (which should be renamed 'domed Roof' or something like that) is that I have set all the heights to 1mm so the walls on which the roof is built are 'invisible'.  You could do the domes, without the walls, by using Roof by Picking Points, but the auto circle from Layout tools makes the circular wall easy and the roof automatically sits on it.

Study the settings of my domes to see what has changed.  Nothing really, only the thickesses to remove the overhang, facia etc, that will otherwise protrude into the room below.

See how you go - it will be fun. 
Practice on a COPY.

Regards,
Allan
Title: Re: Domed ceiling
Post by: Doug.S on February 08, 2009, 09:48:02 PM
While I have not tried to solve this problem,

My approach would be to make a conventional room and roof construct with no ceiling and import a .3ds or .skp object created using another 3D program such as Carrara or SketchUp or Hexagon or any of several other programs,  position it as the ceiling,    and apply a texture for the bricks.

It should be fairly fast and easy if the dimensions are known.