FloorPlan User Forum

General Category - V.16 and Earlier => V12 - V16 Looking for Help? => Topic started by: timciren on February 26, 2009, 06:17:42 AM

Title: fallen at first hurdle ~ pls help ~ cant select anything
Post by: timciren on February 26, 2009, 06:17:42 AM
Hi,
I have been working my way through the tutorials, following the demo videos.
I just started designing my own simple house
Now I find I cant select anything to view properties.
I tried reinstalling incase I had corrupted something but it hasnt worked
I must be doing something silly, but what ! ?
thanks in advance
Tim
Title: Re: fallen at first hurdle ~ pls help ~ cant select anything
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 26, 2009, 09:34:26 AM
Hi Tim,

Welcome to TurboFLOORPLAN and the Forum,

A few questions to narrow down the problem:
1)  Are you on the actual Location where the walls etc are drawn?  For example, if at the upper left it says Second Floor but your plan is on the Ground floor, then you will not be able to select anything. You can only select things on the location where they are drawn, unless you override the setting in Settings/Program Settings but this is generally not recommended because it is too easy to select things on the wrong floor.

2)  If that is not the problem, try turning off Hardware Acceleration (Settings/Program Settings/Graphics).  Did that help? That fixes some display problems.

3)  Have you installed the update linked at the bottom of the Forum?  This fixes a few bugs although this is not one of them specifically.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Allan
Title: Re: fallen at first hurdle ~ pls help ~ cant select anything
Post by: timciren on February 26, 2009, 10:46:21 AM
Hi Allan,
You're great !!!
Turned off the accelerator and hey presto.
I just wish I had posted 4 hours earlier.
Uninstalling and reinstalling lost my custom uk walls and doors I had made.
That also raises another query;
I can hardly believe houses not in the UK are made with 100mm or 150mm exterior walls.
In the UK we are upto 280mm, with two skins and a cavity plus plaster.
Thanks again,
Tim
Title: Re: fallen at first hurdle ~ pls help ~ cant select anything
Post by: Voodooman on February 26, 2009, 11:45:07 AM
Hi

Lots of houses in Europe do not have cavity walls.

In France Mono-Mur (single composite wall with no cavity) is becoming more and more popular.

http://www.bouyer-leroux.com/web2/maison_terre_cuite.php (http://www.bouyer-leroux.com/web2/maison_terre_cuite.php)

It is much cheaper than uK building.  Prefab houses are very usual - in fact most houses in Germany and France are pre fabricated in a factory.

In the USA they are mostly wood frame and often wood construction.

Regards

Peter
Title: Re: fallen at first hurdle ~ pls help ~ cant select anything
Post by: Allan Chesney on February 26, 2009, 07:06:10 PM
Hi Tim,

As you have learnt, it is good to keep a backup of the catalog from time to time. 

Most new homes in Western Australia are double brick with cavity, a good buffer here against the heat. I cannot understand how the keep timber homes warm (or cool), must cost a fortune in heating etc.

We have plenty of clay- in eastern Australia they use more timber or steel frame brick veneer homes.

Allan