Creating multiple image views from one Radioisty render

Started by Allan Chesney, October 11, 2007, 05:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Chesney

This is an excellent new feature - you only need to render once
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

mcpruitt

Quote from: Allan Chesney on October 11, 2007, 05:01:43 AM
Do the first render OUTSIDE:
I found when doing this that I had to do the first Radiosity render with the camera placed outside the building.  If I did this then the outside was OK also.  If I did the radiosity render with the camera inside then the outside walls were always black. This appears to be a bit of bug of some sort but easily fixed by doing the first render outside.  The second image shows this effect.

Allan,

I checked with my setup and I don't see the problem you seem to have.  When I rendered an interior room and then changed the viewpoint to be outside, it seemed to be illuminated the same as the inside.  Could it have something with turning off daylight?  Might be something to check.

MCP

Allan Chesney

Mike
The settings for both sets of images was identical. Nothing was changed just one started inside and one out. The daylight was enabled on both as can be seen by the sun on the floor.

Did you have the same number of  windows and lights (20)? I suspect that some issues arise as the number of lights increase, combined with the Quality setting.

EDIT:   I have since tried this with a number of different lights (down to 1) with a number of different windows (and down to one), changed the wall textures and finally created a new model (4 walls, ceiling, window and light - all default settings and daylight was enabled in all cases) and still had the same result.  If I rendered outside first it was fine but, when rendered from inside first, the outside walls were always black.

EDIT 2:  I have just tried again, this time rendered from inside with city set to Sanf Fancisco - same.  Also tried with daylight disabled. Inside fine outside all black - walls and ground.  With daylight enabled it is only the walls that are black on the outside.  Got me beat so far - I can't think what other setting could affect it if others are not getting this.

At least the work around is easy but I would be interested to hear if anyone else is having this problem and especially if you found a cause.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

mcpruitt

In my test I am working on my own kitchen.  So I created just a simple 4 wall room with an opening in one wall and a window in an ajacent wall.  When I was rendering it I had daylight off and the loaction was set to Fremont CA USA.  Since posting I have found that radiosity is now stopping before finishing (crashing?) so it is dark anyway.  Until I get that sorted out I won't know what it is supposed to do.

MCP

Doug.S

Allan,

I just tried to see if my PC renders same problem as you seem to have....here is what I did and results:

HA off
one room default house
added 2 windows (one flipped just in case that was the issue)
no lights
rendered q=3 radiosity looking along window from inside only
render looked OK to me: bright outside, sun shining thru etc.
see attached

If you want me to try again...tell me the steps so I duplicate your action.

Doug.S

Allan Chesney

Doug,

It appears to me that you have the same problem.  In your image, look at the window sill outside the window - there does not appear to be any sunlight on it even though the sun is obviously shining on it and through the window.  I think you will find if you render again as you have, then click Modify Viewpoint, use the Walk or other move button and take the view point outside, then Raytrace again you will probably find the outside wall is black.  Could you try that? Obviously I am keen to see if it is a general problem not just me.  If you get the same results try again this time starting with the camera outside for the first render, then move inside for the second raytrace.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Doug.S

Wow, what a different result just now....see attached images...

I tried to do just what I did above and was going to try your suggestion.....

But every reset and render gave me terrible and very different results....one was all white....no consistency

So I'll close down PC and restart later or tomorrow....its never been this bad before for me

Doug.S

Doug.S

Here I am later after having shutdown PC, restarted, only running TFP12

Did the same setup...new default house, add 2 windows, insert/aim camera from inside, render radiosity...get absolute crap every time, reset, render, more crap like attached above and here.

BUT I think I found the answer or work-around....if I do a basic raytrace render first or after radiosity do another basic raytrace render (after the auto raytrace)...then next radiosity renders are OK.

In any case, even with bad first renders...if I move camera to outside the building is not black on screen or render...its typical brick.

I'll try once again and unless I find nothing new then this is all I know.

Hope it helps you Allan.

Doug.S


EDIT:   I'm back and no better off and wrong about my testing above as I cannot duplicate it at all.  I'm getting more convinced as I do more renders that rendering gets worse rather than better,,,,AND worse yet, intelligent choices do not always result in better solutions....and I've been rendering with radiosity in other 3D programs for more than 3 years.

TFP12 is just not consistent and not predictable.   I have not experienced dark outside walls ever yet.  But whether I render first inside or outside makes no difference and whether there is a light inside or not I still have serious troubles getting a good render....at any and all quality levels and by adjusting radiosity brightness.  I simply cannot render and get the same results using radiosity....(raytracing is quite predictable).

So it feels like I'm going backwards by running these trial tests...maybe I need to try a real practical job to get useful results....although I have had some excellent renders along the way.

This seems to be a problem with interior renders and sunlight on.  Exterior radiosity renders are fine. Interior radiosity renders with daylight off are fine.  But interiors with sunlight on are unpredictable...not for the balance of light between the inside and outside (that is a matter of adjusting light strength) but getting repeatable renders without changing anything is impossible.

In all cases HA is off.

Doug.S

Allan Chesney

Doung,

It sounds like you are getting the same results as me (except the black exterior walls). You will probably find the erratic results stop and become consistant, if you close the program between each radiosity render.  One sucessful radiosity is all you need then you can do as many raytraces as you want around the model. 

Try closing between radiosity renders and see if you get consistant results. I do but only if I close and re-open before rendering again.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Doug.S

I'll give your wrok around a try as I test more magenta stuff and .bmp file sizes to get full color and transparency from radiosity renders.