Importing floor plan from turboCAD

Started by [email protected], March 29, 2011, 06:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Can I import a floor plan I designed in Turbocad v14 Professional?  Turbofloor plan seems very unintuitive after using turbocad for years.  However turbocad is not too friendly with custom floor plans either.  I just want to import my walls so I can design the rooms and walk through. 

Draft Patrick

Hi there, welcome to the Forum!

If you have just the floorplan in Turbocad --> Save As --> DWG format --> Open TFP --> File--> Import --> Import CAD file --> Import your file --> You will have the floorplan ready to trace the walls, roofs, etc

If you have the 3D model of your house in Turbocad --> Save As --> 3DS format or Sketch up format --> You can import your 3D model to TFP using these formats (using the Object wizard or directly to the Catalog)  but notice that, in this case, the model will be just an object (like a chair, for example) therefore, without all the properties and advantages of a model built with TFP

Pat
Patrick Sullivan

Doug.S

The more typical methodology is to design in TFP and then export to TCAD if you need TCAD for drawing details and much more user control...but it is more manual labor that way but you can also get more outputs and more controlled results for things unable to accomplish in TFP.

Jack Zimmer (he posts here on occasion) had some tuts at some time as to how to best use the two progs together...maybe check with him or his site...I'm not sure of current status for latest versions of each prog.

Allan Chesney

Quote from: [email protected] on March 29, 2011, 06:21:19 PM
Can I import a floor plan I designed in Turbocad v14 Professional?    

I have found the easiest way to do this is to export the plan from TurboCAD as a 2D DXF file. You can do it as Pat suggests (as at DWG) but I find DXF easier (File> Import> Object Wizard). You can place a DXF on its own location (layer) and it then 'dims' when you draw on your main location. The DWG becomes invisible if it is on a different location, so you have to trace the new walls with the DWG plan on the same location and I find it confusing trying to see what is the new drawing and what is the DWG file.

You could possibly save the walls only, as a 3D DXF, so you would not have to trace them again in TFP but Pats suggestion to use 3DS or SKP works better than 3D DXF but, as Pat said, with any of these formats you cannot alter anything except textures and total size. I think you would find the end results much better if you simply traced the walls in TFP which I assume is what you intended to do.

Quote from: [email protected] on March 29, 2011, 06:21:19 PM
Turbofloor plan seems very unintuitive after using turbocad for years.  However turbocad is not too friendly with custom floor plans either.

Funny how people react to things differently.  I picked up TFP (back at Version 3) and started using it straight away - I found it very intuitive. Yet over the years I have tried to use TurboCAD so many times I have lost count and still never get beyond an almost blank screen.  I have just no idea where to start and no time to learn, so I give up each time.  I know enough to open an already created file and save it as a 3DS and that is about it (which is all I use it for really - TFP does everything I need architecturally). Shame you and I could not both swap some brain files and both be able to operate both programs!!!

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional