.skp imports

Started by garystan, July 08, 2011, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garystan



       I hope at least one of you people have a LOT of patience..........
       Experiment #2 :       After making a  Project Template  (empty building with just four walls),   I tried IMPORTING  a few of the  objects/models I made with  SU 7 & 8.     Now, to me, here's where it's confusing.    SOME of the objects created in SU8 were imported with no problem.   And some wouldn't import at all.    I also tried objects/models created in SU7,  no problem what-so-ever.     Conclusion :  could some of the objects/models created in SU8 have gotten corrupt somehow.    Or were they just tooooo complex for TFP  (having too much detail [vortices?] ?   
   
                                                                                        garystan

Doug.S

Depending on what version of TFP you are using will determine which SU file version can be used.....as TFP usually needs a rev. update each time SU has a new ver. release.

However, if a file was created in SU and did not use anything of the newer SU tools, then it may work OK in TFP.

SU models on line/www are often noted as to what version they are saved as and many models are saved in several SU versions.

If in doubt or a problem, you can often open a newest SU model in SU and save it as compatible with an older SU version....such as use SU8 and save to SU6.  Do file, save as, select from drop down list.

I don't know currently which SU ver. is completely compatible with TFP 15.1.  Trial and error is your friend....if it works; OK, if not, try to find or save SU to the next most recent older ver. and then try in TFP again.

Corrupt files do happen but not very often...check file size for obvious errors. If it opens in SU it is probably OK.

garystan


    Hey Doug :

                 After switching back to SU version 7,  seems like I'm not having any problem importing to TFP from Sketchup 7.      After the latest experimentation,  seems like, maybe it's a compatibility issue.    I'm  99.9999999%  sure it's not TFP,  being it seems to be opening, running and closing with no problems.
                 I contact Google about.  Letting them know about the issue.  And using some tact,  I let them  also know that I wasn't being critical of the program, just that there was a problem.
                  Lately,  I noticed that my skill  in Sketchup has increased.  And some of the stuff that I've been able to  put together..........   One thing I notice with SU,  I can get in real close and do that detail work.   Making some objects/models  look almost as accurate as the real thing.
                  Anyway.............thanks for all your help.
                  And that goes for Allan and the rest of the TFP Forum brains (I can't remember all the names)

                                                                                         garystan