Importing SKP Files

Started by bigbad67, June 26, 2010, 02:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draft Patrick

Hi Robert,

I don't think so.... the symptoms of a corrupted program are (usually) different, but I can't say for sure without a diagnostic routine

Hi Dave

Please, don't read between the lines of my messages  ;) --> I meant only what I wrote
1 - You asked some technical questions about processors and video cards--> I answered to the best of my knowledge, without any suggestion, direct or not
2 - In my first message I wrote --> "Anyway, if you wish to post here one of the objects, I will be glad to help you with some tests --> the tests will show if the problem is with the processor, with the chip or any other issue" --> this is the only direct suggestion I wrote

Pat


Patrick Sullivan

Dave

Hi Pat,

Sorry, i am struggling to pick up on what you are advising... :-[

regarding your second point - i did post a link to the file that I have been trying to import. Is this enough for you to help with some tests? it was this one: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=76fd584df2f786f1ccd0340812259a39&prevstart=0

i may try to re-install TFP to see if that addresses the issue anyway.

FYI i have been through windows update and all drivers are up to date.

cheers
D

Allan Chesney

Hi Dave,

I am not going to enter into the discussion on re-installing or any of Pat's questions/suggestions, as I try to keep out of technical installation issues. I know Pat and some others are much more qualified than me on those things.  I just wanted to say that I had no problem with the SKP file you linked.  It installed fine. I used the V6 version as it was the latest.  I know TFP was fine with the V5 skp files and understood it was OK with V6 too and that is so on my PC.

As stated before I usually create my own obects in TFP so I have only imported SKP files as tests. In the image (on the right) I have replicated the SKP Shower Base (I presume that is what it is?) on the left. It has a square of floor 5mm thick with a mitred 'Tapered 2' Member for the edges and flattened half dome for the plug. The plug does not have the flat top but this was just intended as a quick example, so that was easiest. It can be exported as a 3DS and imported again to add to the catalogue for future use.  It took just a few minutes to make - about the same as the time it took to link to the SKP version, save and import it.

If you want to make some things and need some ideas as to what could be used, then just ask and explain or provide a sketch or photo of what you want to make.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Dave

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your response - i am convinced it's to do with a driver or something. I'll try a re-install at some point to see if that fixes it.

I have tried to create objects in TFP and can create convincing results, but sketch up is ridiculously easy to create objects especially complicated ones. the only other workaround is to use the dell to create the objects, import into TFP and export as a 3ds file ready for import onto the other laptop.

thanks again
Dave

Kajvin - Robert W

Hi Dave. Is it this the computer your girlfreind have, clip from a revue from http://www.product-reviews.net/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[The NX600-HD was already a good laptop but the NX600-HDX, with the X meaning Xtreme you really are in for a treat.

According to Cheap Laptops the processor used is the 2.8GHz Intel Core2Duo, which works hard with the 4GB of RAM, you get a 200GB 7200rpm hard drive and the sexy NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT 512MB graphics card. The Evesham Zieo NX600-HDX has a 17-inch display that helps to show of the truly amazing graphics.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this the computer are the a lot of power, so try to reinstall TFP, and take a look at the driver for the graphic card if it up to date.

Robert
Cadsoft ProArchitect 2
TurboFLOORPLAN3D Home & Landscape Pro
Version 16.0.C1.901.
Computer:
KajRobVin 2011 Asus P6X58D-E/Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI Dual Screen Windows 8 Pro
Living: Älmhult Sweden

Doug.S

Also note certain versions of SketchUp are, or are not, compatible with TFP versions......

Typically newer SketchUp versions will not import into older versions of TFP.....which may not be the case here, but always good to check compatibility.

BTW, as fyi, ver. 8 of SketchUp is now released (9-1-10) with some new features that may appeal to some/many people.  SU is always a good resource tool to work along with/supplement TFP and vice-versa.  I also use other 3D programs....using the best tool I have for the job at hand....every project seems a bit different.  And even 2D tools are handy to use with TFP....for things like making textures or for "adjusting" a rendered final image....often faster/better than using TFP alone.

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the really late reply on my behalf!

We still have issues relating to the import of sketchup files. Interestingly the Dell has started playing up and will not import sketchup 8 files. I experimented by creating a similar object in the same way using sketchup 7.1 and that works!

the file that doesn't import looks like this when you import it:



i am wondering if it's to do with the order the software was installed!

the plot thickens!

cheers
Dave


edit: nope. the evesham still doesn't work :(

Allan Chesney

Hi Dave,

Don't know what you are importing but by those dimensions it is VERY LARGE!!
What happens when you use the Import Wizard? (and change the scale)

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Dave

Hi Allan,

yes, they are quite large... amusingly so.

To keep things simple all i produced was a 3d box around 300mm cubed. When i created it in sketchup 7.1 it imports fine into the dell. When i create it it sketchup 8 i get presented with the screen above. It's like it doesn't pick up the dimensions properly. The Evesham also still doesn't work with either even though i un-installed both pieces of software and installed again between reboots.

it's a real shame and causing us both a great deal of frustration.

Dave

Allan Chesney

Dave,

Would you like to post your Box.skp so I can see how it reacts for me?

Did you try the Improt Wizard?

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Dave

Hi Allan,

Please find attached box done in version 7.1 and version 8, both created in exactly the same manner

Version 7.1 imports with no problem no matter how i do it. Version 8 doesn't import no matter how i try - and yes i did use the import wizard.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/187102/box8.skp
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/187103/box7.1.skp



thanks
Dave


Allan Chesney

Hi Dave,

Well I had the same results as you, if not worse. Box 7.1 was OK but Box8 gave the same dialog box as you got but then crashed TFP V15 and also Envisioneer 6.1 (which will become TFP V15.1). There is an Env 6.2 out now - maybe it will be OK with SKP 8.

Sketchup 8 was only released in January 2010 (going by Doug's post earlier) and TFP goes back into 2009, so TFP would not be able to deal with any new things in SKP 8, presumably leading to the crashes etc.  If you use SKP 8 and save as V7 it should be OK.

By the way you can post SKP files direct to the forum (and many other file types) - just click the Additional Options... link to the lower left of the Reply box.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Dave

Hi Allan,

thanks for verifying that for me - i thought i was going mental! You did give me an idea though; I tried to save my box as different sketchup versions to import into TFP but that failed too - i got to saving as version 4 before giving up. But this is on the evesham again, i've not tried the dell yet - it's getting late here and i need to go to bed!

is it worth contacting technical support and just pointing them to this post?

thanks
Dave